Why does my hair turn red?

sunshinelady

My natural hair is jet black. I mean black black, but now it is this dirty brown/red color. The hair doesn't look damaged beyond some split ends, but the color has really changed. What's going on? How can I stop it?

Relaxers and the sun can change your hair color. I used to have black hair but after years of relaxers and being in the sun my hair is brown with a reddish brown tint that you can see in the light.

My hair is jet black as well, but when I made two different mixed herbal tea sprays -- one mostly hibiscus (red) and one chamomile and calendula (yellow) based, my hair turned reddish brown.

Relaxers and the sun can change your hair color. I used to have black hair but after years of relaxers and being in the sun my hair is brown with a reddish brown tint that you can see in the light.

It can't be the sun because I wear my hair in protective styles almost 100% of the time.

I read that hard water can do that. Mine recently changed to a rusty color in one area too; I do believe it is either water, the sun, or the Nizoral shampoo I was using for a while. :perplexed

I read that hard water can do that. Mine recently changed to a rusty color in one area too; I do believe it is either water, the sun, or the Nizoral shampoo I was using for a while. :perplexed

Okay, I will check my water. Thanks. I want my black hair back.

I know my hair has changed color. I dye it jet black, but it grows in brownish red. It wasn't like that before...but it is now....and I am natural.

I know my hair has changed color. I dye it jet black, but it grows in brownish red. It wasn't like that before...but it is now....and I am natural.

Ditto, I dye mine black also.
But do you do a acv rinse? The vinegar can change the color over a time.

That's true. My hair lightens up in the summer.

The sun does this to my hair. I noticed it when I was relaxed, and my mom said it also happened before she relaxed my hair as a kid. My grandmother attributes it to the bloodline so to speak bc we've got so much Native American in our blood. My grandmother is half black..the other half Cherokee (ain't we all:giggle:) and Blackhawk...her natural hair color is this bright reddish coppery thing. I think it looks great on her...on me...not so much since it only does it in the summer and I turn all Blacula with red hair.:lachen:

My hair has changed colors over the years and I believe it's from the sun and the relaxer. My hair is always pulled back so the top is light brown with some sandy streaks(I know this is from the sun) and my crown is light brown and my nape is dark brown.

ETA: When I get a fresh relaxer my hair looks all one color until I pull it back or get a wash.

Ok this is spooky. About 2 minutes ago I was telling my co-worker that my hair is black, red, and brown and i was born with jet black hair :lachen:... You probably have the same problem I do... It's the sun

Intense sun on natural hair will do it after a while. The sun in NY never seems to do anything to my relaxed or natural hair, but after a couple of weeks in Australia it always changes somewhat.

Back