How do I stop relaxer from bleaching my hair

vtoodler

I want my natural hair color back!

I was born with jet black hair, but after years of relaxing, my hair is now a dark brown color. For me, it's an issue since I love jet black hair. My mother's hair is jet black, although she relaxes, and I'm so jealous of her.

So how do I stop relaxers from bleaching my hair? What have been your personal experiences with this issue?

melissa-bee

My hair is dark brown because of relaxers also. But my hair has been overprocessed. I'm transitioning now and the first few inches of my hair is black, i wanna dye it black but because the ends have been triple processed i don't wanna dye it so i'm just stuck untill it grows out.
I've heard tea rinses darken your hair over time but i just don't know.

almondjoi85

Someone told me that what I thought to be my natural hair color... brown, maybe an ash brown with light brown streaks and in some places it looks almost blonde, was caused by relaxers. Then came my baby sister, her hair color is exactly like mine and she had never ever had a relaxer or any heat applied to her hair. That is until recently she had her hair pressed and now that it's straight it's the same exactly color as mine so I don't believe my hair color has been changed by my relaxer.

Maybe you can use a gentle color rinse on the same day as relaxer day, something like colorshowers or sebastian cellophanes?

shunemite

For now you can use a black rinse, it'll make it darker. For future purposes, the longer you go without a relaxer, is the less overlapping you'll have. When I used to relax every 4 weeks (that's not a typo), I had brown hair. My natural hair color is off black. Now that I relax less often, my hair is way darker. Also, the sun makes hair go lighter, depending on where you live or if you're out a lot. I have an Indian school mate and she said that they use Amla oil when their hair is getting lighter as a hair treatment. I've never tried it, so maybe someone who has can chime in.

vkb247

Using rosemary infused coconut oil on my wet hair helped me keep my hair black. I henna now so its hard to tell how it was in the long run but coconut oil is a natural sunscreen and rosemary is supposed to help keep hair dark. There are a lot of herbs you can use to help maintain a dark color. Brahmi and sage are two other but I can't vouch for them

-PYT

I believe relaxers do have something to do with it...however my edges turn blond in the warmer months anyway. My relaxed hair has almost blond highlights in some places, but my newgrowth is all dark brown. Weird huh...but I like it! But I agree that a rinse may help to absolve the processing that relaxers incur

Miss*Tress

Don't overlap relaxers and use a sun block for hair. For the ends that are already lighter, try henna & indigo or a plant-based hair color from your local health food store. Henna actually conditions and protects the hair; natural hair colors at the very least do not damage hair.