Why is flat ironing natural hair such a big deal?

Luckily I haven't come across such militant naturals but yes it does happen sadly. I would like to flat iron my hair some day and maybe blow it out as well. They are ways to get temporary styles or styles that'll make trimming/length checks easier. Why it isn't seen that way either, I don't know, because if you wet flat ironed hair that is not heat damaged it will revert back to its natural state.

where the hell are these natural militants???? are they hiding somewhere wearing all black with a picture of hot combs painted on the wall with a big black X across it? i can never find them.

most folks i come across dont give a damn what other folks do to their heads. it's other folks always harassing the sh*t out of them like WHY DONT YOU WANT TO STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAIR??? BUT IT WOULD BE SOOOOOO LONNNNNNNNNNG!!! YOU SHOULD STRAIGHTEN IT AT LEAST ONCE!!!!

i find that most folks (like myself) would rather be left alone if all you want to do is harass me about why dont i want to do xyz to my hair.

I did not know that people like this really existed. I keep hearing people talk about them but I've never met one in person.

ive been natural since 2001. i have yet to meet these folks, seriously. it's only on the boards that i hear about them but never see them. now ive been accosted by ladies that relax their hair more times than i care to count.

I personally haven't seen or heard anyone bashing. I've heard people express their personal views about how damaging heat can be to hair--natural or not. But whether a person bashes based on a person's own choice, I could careless, because I'm going to do what I want to do to my hair regardless to whether a person judges me or not. And when they do, I don't ponder on why they judged. People are naturally judgmental when you do something they don't. That's life.

This is another issue to divide black people as a whole. Natural vs Relaxed, Natural vs. Straighten Natural, Natural vs. Heat trained, Weave vs. No weave, Afro vs. Braids, etc. There are always going to be some issue and it is NOT that serious. We all came here to learn about healthy hair and regardless how your beliefs are doesn't give any1 the right to tell that person isn't a true natural b/c they flatiron their hair. I honestly only see natural militants here on this board then in irl (I actually know more relaxed militants). My whole gist is, IT IS NOT THAT SERIOUS! Hair is an accessory which is to be allows diffrent forms of creativity and styling.

Where are you guys seeing these 'Natural Hair Nazis"? Maybe I just haven't been paying good attention but I have yet to encounter one on LHCF or in real life. :perplexed

Wow... I can't believe people haven't noticed the natural hair Nazis that pop up on natural bs straight threads. I get tired of seeing people down people for straightening their hair. It's no different that those relaxer Nazis that push there narrow-minded ideas on people. It's my hair and my life. Get one of your own.

I have four natural-haired daughters. Two went natural when I did. One has never worn her hair in it's natural/kinky state. She wears her hair straight because that's her preference. My other daughter wears her hair kinky 90%, and has fun styling her hair in puffs with tons of bows and hair candy. Both of my daughters have healthy, beautiful NATURAL hair. Frankly, I could care less what anyone else thinks about their choices. They are happy and chemical-free.

Last edited:
Wow... I can't believe people haven't noticed the natural hair Nazis that pop up on natural bs straight threads. I get tired of seeing people down people for straightening their hair. It's no different that those relaxer Nazis that push there narrow-minded ideas on people. It's my hair and my life. Get one of your own.

There are some on here. Nappturality is full of them

I'm surprised people are saying they dont see them on here, I sure have. Quite a few posters names come up when that term is thrown for me.:yep:

We are soooo critical of each other. We are the only group of people that gives shade to each other when we:

Straighten their hair*
Go natural
Wear weaves and wigs*
Wear braid or twist outs
Dye our hair blonde
Lose weight beyond what we think they should lose
Get plastic surgery
Have kids out of wedlock
Don't have kids

I can go on...

Back to hair, I don't straighten my hair because my hair hates heat, but I am pretty open minded in terms of what others do to their hair (or I would just stay on NC.com, NP. com, etc)

ETA: I have gotten more hair health, products and style tips here than from many "natural" sites where many of the ladies are more obsessed with "popping" their curls than anything else.

BTY, I haven't seen any criticism of naturals flat ironing here. Did I miss something?

*I am critical when it comes to doing that to small children, especially infants and toddlers.

Last edited:

Yeah that's why I stopped going to Nappturality. I'm natural (chemical free, ok relaxer free, still dabble in color). I happen to like both natural and straight styles. I will say that since I've been on LHCF, I gotten some really great natural style ideas. I've been wet bunning all week! :grin:

Well I don't care if you wear your hair straight, wash n go, relaxed, long, short, whatever! If it's healthy and beautiful I will drool over it. It's not anyone's place to tell someone else what to do with their OWN hair or try to make them feel guilty over it. Just do you

Yeah that's why I stopped going to Nappturality. I'm natural (chemical free, ok relaxer free, still dabble in color). I happen to like both natural and straight styles. I will say that since I've been on LHCF, I gotten some really great natural style ideas. I've been wet bunning all week! :grin:

Exactly what i m referring to .It got to the point that i had to stop going there ,its never only about hair ,there is disdain towards women who relax and bullyism towards naturals who wants straighten their hair even only once .You are not even allowed to use curl enhancing products if your hair is not naturally curly (4c) as this is ALSO is seen as unacceptance of naturally nappy hair.
I ve seen it countless times there (there are quite a few of militants) but also a couple in "real" life .fortunatley Not the majority .

This is another one of those things that really don't matter to me. I know I don't use the flat iron because I just don't want to aaaannnnddd I'm too lazy to do it lol.

I was on that site for like.....a month. That's the worst site in the world. No one relaxed would ever be able to join. I mean.....its one thing that its a site for women who are natural and never ever ever use heat or a cool dryer on their hair but damn.....those chicks hate, HATE, women that relaxed and half of them cut their relaxed hair off a month ago, lol. Typing the word 'perm' or 'relaxer' is like typing in a curse word on that site, lol. :lol: I mean....yeah LHCF has its flaws, most of the "messy" threads are started by naturals but at least we reach a point of reciprocity with relaxed women having a say.....and its cool (most of the time). So even though we have our faults man I like it here and will continue to pay because I've learned things from the natural women, relaxed women, texlaxed women, nomad women, EVERYBODY lol.

Where are you guys seeing these 'Natural Hair Nazis"? Maybe I just haven't been paying good attention but I have yet to encounter one on LHCF or in real life. :perplexed

Open your eyes there everywhere on here....I hear one coming now!:giggle:

I have a couple in my family, a few neighbors and friends who are pretty militant with their blackness overall, hair included. I met a lot of them while in college, too.

I don't consider hair 'natural' if the person in question straightens their hair the majority of the time.

Apparently this is only a forum idea, but I can't think of anyone in real life (personally) that would call themselves natural if they straightened their hair the majority of the time.

What would they call themselves??

Natural on the DL ? :perplexed

Don't care about anyone else, but these are my definitions.

You can have natural hair (without relaxer) and still color it.
You can have natural hair (without relaxer) but wear it in a straight style (flat ironed, rollerset.)

You can have natural hair (without relaxer) but wear it in a "natural style" that still "hides" your texture (braids w/ extensions, braidout, twist out, etc.)

I don't see why a person who flat irons would get any more flak than a person who wears braids w/extensions. What's the difference?

I was on that site for like.....a month. That's the worst site in the world. No one relaxed would ever be able to join. I mean.....its one thing that its a site for women who are natural and never ever ever use heat or a cool dryer on their hair but damn.....those chicks hate, HATE, women that relaxed and half of them cut their relaxed hair off a month ago, lol. Typing the word 'perm' or 'relaxer' is like typing in a curse word on that site, lol. :lol: I mean....yeah LHCF has its flaws, most of the "messy" threads are started by naturals but at least we reach a point of reciprocity with relaxed women having a say.....and its cool (most of the time). So even though we have our faults man I like it here and will continue to pay because I've learned things from the natural women, relaxed women, texlaxed women, nomad women, EVERYBODY lol.

I remember when you couldn't say press or flat iron either. But in 2002-2004 (the years I was most active there) I noticed a disdain for the women with looser curls. They were practically ignored, or they had to hide their lack of "real" naps. You couldn't say "curly" either (but that word wasn't censored like the others). Strange.

Most? Really? :perplexed

I'm on multiple hairboards. I respect each has it's own vibe so I just roll with it being sure to take note of info that's useful for me.

Not evil... but not natural. Heh. JMO.

I am not criticizing Wash N' Gos other than the fact they are misnamed. :yep:

I'm not arguing with that, but you said it was the "most unnatural "natural" style on the planet." I just don't get how conditioner makes hair or a style "unnatural".

Back