Why so many different vitamins and supplements?

IMFOCSD

Hi ladies:wave:

I just wanted to know why some ladies take so many different vitamins, supplements, etc. Do they really work that well? How can you tell which one is working if you take so many different ones? I used to take regular hair vitamins and they had me running to the bathroom:look: so I can just imagine how it would be if I were taking more than 1 (or 2). I actually want to start back taking vitamins for over all health because I don't eat right or drink water like I should. Can someone recommend something?

Thanks
sweetcoco

sweetcoco said:

I just wanted to know why some ladies take so many different vitamins, supplements, etc. Do they really work that well? How can you tell which one is working if you take so many different ones? I used to take regular hair vitamins and they had me running to the bathroom:look: so I can just imagine how it would be if I were taking more than 1 (or 2). I actually want to start back taking vitamins for over all health because I don't eat right or drink water like I should. Can someone recommend something?

Thanks
sweetcoco

Hi, my name is Tanya and I'm a vitamin junkie:D Seriously different vitamins do different things. Some strengthens, increase shine, softness, grow, is needed to aid the other vitamins, etc. All of my vitamins works together to increase faster hair growth, shine, strengthen, soften ng, etc. My vitamins and regimen combined together keeps my hair very strong, therefore, I get no breakage and a little to no shedding. I also use a wide tooth comb everytime I comb my hair.

Here's some links for you to look at and you can decide which ones are right for you.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=220.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=105394
Tanya

Last edited:
tsmith said:
Hi, my name is Tanya and I'm a vitamin junkie:D Seriously different vitamins do different things. Some strengthens, increase shine, softness, grow, is needed to aid the other vitamins, etc. All of my vitamins works together to increase faster hair growth, shine, strengthen, soften ng, etc.

Here's some links for you to look at and you can decide which ones are right for you.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=220.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=105394
Tanya

You are funny :lol: and I must say your hair is beautiful (can't wait till I'm there :eyebrows2). Anyway, I always thought that a hair vitamin would give you all of those benefits in one. I have alot to learn. I am terrible when it comes to remembering to take pills, but I am going to try again and hopefully I want fall off this time.:look:

I don't take too many Vitamins but the ones I take give me Energy and help my skin stay soft and supple.

I take One B Complex w/Vitamin C, B-12,Iron & I eat 1 Tblsp. of Flax Seed Grains in my Yougurt. This has also worked to keep my hair soft and supple and I have great growth when I do this and eat decent.

Water is also very important, I know it is hard to get all that water in, so what I do is Use Crystal Light or Propel Fitness water and this helps me out alot, But I still drink Dasani Bottle Water, Propel and crystal light keeps me away from Soda's & Real sugary drinks. My Daughter Loves Propel Fitness Water and hasn't touched a Soda or Juice since then so I stock up on that and bottle water LOL!!!!!

Good Luck To You!!

NappyParadise said:
I don't take too many Vitamins but the ones I take give me Energy and help my skin stay soft and supple.

I take One B Complex w/Vitamin C, B-12,Iron & I eat 1 Tblsp. of Flax Seed Grains in my Yougurt. This has also worked to keep my hair soft and supple and I have great growth when I do this and eat decent.

Water is also very important, I know it is hard to get all that water in, so what I do is Use Crystal Light or Propel Fitness water and this helps me out alot, But I still drink Dasani Bottle Water, Propel and crystal light keeps me away from Soda's & Real sugary drinks. My Daughter Loves Propel Fitness Water and hasn't touched a Soda or Juice since then so I stock up on that and bottle water LOL!!!!!

Good Luck To You!!

I need something for both of these problem areas. What do you use for your skin and energy boost? I am on my own "drink more water challenge" and I will drink at least 4 cups of water a day and work my way up. I don't drink pop :nono: but I :love: apple juice. I am not sure if apple juice has lots of sugar but if it does I need to slow down because I already eat alot of chocolate :look: ( really need to stop but I am addicted).

sweetcoco said:
You are funny :lol: and I must say your hair is beautiful (can't wait till I'm there :eyebrows2). Anyway, I always thought that a hair vitamin would give you all of those benefits in one. I have alot to learn. I am terrible when it comes to remembering to take pills, but I am going to try again and hopefully I want fall off this time.:look:

Thanks for the compliment (((hugs))) I want to add that you do not need to take a whole bunch of vitamins and you can just take 1 or 2 vitamins or none actually alot of women on here do not take any vitamins to grow their hair and their hair grew from above shoulders to bsl and longer BUT I prefer to go the vitamin/s route and I am very happy with my decision. It's all in the individual, take vitamins, don't take vitamins. You choose;) :p

I started taking a ton of vitamins at the beginning of my journey then stopped taking them one at a time. If I noticed a change I'd add it back. Only those vitamins that had a noticeable change in my health and wellbeing or hair/skin/nails are a part of my current regimen. :yep:

I can't live w/o my MSM, Mulltivitamin, and silica.

MSM controls my allergies
The multi helps overall
The silica makes my skin buttery soft and my nails resist breakage (it softens my hair too, but it will also remove some of the curl.)

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to add my Vitamin E Capsule LOL!!! The Flax Seed & Vitamin E is really good for my skin, Flax seed has all the Omegas you need in it. But Like the OP said it is up to you on which ones work for you. LOL!!!!! Go ahead and eat that Chocolate, I am recovering from eating Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough!! Yum Yum

I actually think I may benefit from taking a vitamin or two because I don't eat right but I just don't know which vitamins/supplements do what. I guess I should just stick to hair vitamins.

It would be cool if someone would make a thread about different vitamins and how they are beneficial.

NappyParadise said:
Oh I forgot to add my Vitamin E Capsule LOL!!! The Flax Seed & Vitamin E is really good for my skin, Flax seed has all the Omegas you need in it. But Like the OP said it is up to you on which ones work for you. LOL!!!!! Go ahead and eat that Chocolate, I am recovering from eating Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough!! Yum Yum

:lol: Yeah I :love: love me some chocolate!

sweetcoco said:
It would be cool if someone would make a thread about different vitamins and how they are beneficial.

The second link(gymfreak's thread) that Tsmith posted does that. It is soooo helpful. I really suggest you take a look at it. There is a lot to read but it is very beneficial. I used her thread as a guide as to which vitamins I should take where hair growth is concerned. This thread (Candy_C's)http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122138
is also helpful and provides additional info all throughout the thread. Candy's thread prompted me to get NAC and I'm so glad I started taking it.
I also did my own research just to follow up on the info I have and try and acquire more info. Personally, I take a b50 complex, biotin and NAC in addition to the vitamins I was taking before I was a member here which included a multivitamin, flaxseed oil and mineral complex w/vitamin C. They provide with tons of energy, great skin, stronger and thicker hair and I feel that they're helping me lose weight more efficiently.

Last edited:
Naturellle said:
The second link(gymfreak's thread) that Tsmith posted does that. It is soooo helpful. I really suggest you take a look at it. There is a lot to read but it is very beneficial. I used her thread as a guide as to which vitamins I should take where hair growth is concerned. This thread (Candy_C's)http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122138
is also helpful and provides additional info all throughout the thread. Candy's thread prompted me to get NAC and I'm so glad I started taking it.
I also did my own research just to follow up on the info I have and try and acquire more info. Personally, I take a b50 complex, biotin and NAC in addition to the vitamins I was taking before I was a member here which included a multivitamin, flaxseed oil and mineral complex w/vitamin C. They provide with tons of energy, great skin, stronger and thicker hair and I feel that they're helping me lose weight more efficiently.

You know what, I am so slow. :think: I saw the links, meant to click on them but I forgot just that quick...dugh:D. Thanks girly!;)

sweetcoco said:

Thanks
sweetcoco

Sweetcoco, here is Bargello's vitamin regimen. A lot of ladies follow this or a variation of it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=220&highlight=bargello+vitamin+regimen

I have always taken a multivitamin, but I started adding a few other supplements after joining LHCF. The supplements I take now not only help to improve my hair, but they have overall health benefits as well:

MSM
Biotin
Multivitamin w/B-vitamin complex
Spirulina
Flaxseed oil
Calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement (because I don't eat as much dairy as I used to - might eliminate this one after I'm finished with my current supply)

Thanks ladies,

Man, I never knew there were so many different vitamins and supplements out there. You LHCF ladies are always teaching me something!:yep:

sweetcoco said:
I actually think I may benefit from taking a vitamin or two because I don't eat right but I just don't know which vitamins/supplements do what. I guess I should just stick to hair vitamins.

Well:look: I posted two links that tells you the benefits of taking hair vitamins, along with different vitamins types. The ladies on the board take different brands but they're all getting good results.:) I'll find some more links for you because they are definitely here.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=52641&highlight=vitamins
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122138&highlight=vitamins
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=109095&highlight=vitamins

Last edited:
tsmith said:
Well:look: I posted two links that tells you the benefits of taking hair vitamins, along with different vitamins types. The ladies on the board take different brands but they're all getting good results.:) I'll find some more links for you because they are definitely here.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=52641&highlight=vitamins
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122138&highlight=vitamins
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=109095&highlight=vitamins

T Smith

Thanks again, I posted a reply not that long ago about how I forgot to click on the links you posted.

I'm a vitamin junkie. I dont eat enough veggies and fruit so I need to take a lot of supplements to help that. For hair growth, I don't really take a lot.

deejoy said:
I'm a vitamin junkie. I dont eat enough veggies and fruit so I need to take a lot of supplements to help that. For hair growth, I don't really take a lot.

Hi deejoy

Do you find that the supplements are beneficial for your health/hair?

sweetcoco said:
Hi deejoy

Do you find that the supplements are beneficial for your health/hair?

Hi

Yes my hair doesn't shed anymore and my hair is getting thicker. Shedding and thin hair were my main reasons for joining. I was pretty good on hair length.

deejoy said:
Hi

Yes my hair doesn't shed anymore and my hair is getting thicker. Shedding and thin hair were my main reasons for joining. I was pretty good on hair length.

Your hair is pretty thick and healthy. I am def. ordering some type of vitamin this weekend!

My goal has been to streamline my vitamin intake by finding 2 or 3 supplements that will provide all the benefits I need. A good multivitamin that contains a fair amount of biotin, Vitamins B, C, and E could possibly be better than taking all those at once. There are also multis on the market that also contain silica and/or horsetail for hair, skin and nails.

I know that Biotin, MSM and a good multivitamin are staples. Once I finish my stash, I will pare down and just take these three.

I have a fiber-poor diet, so I just need to uptake my fiber in foods. I can get my fatty acids with an increase in fish in my diet. I get vitamin C naturally from fruits like oranges, grapes and strawberries. Beta-carotene in carrots, broccoli.

The truth? I'm vain:look: when I started taking the vitamins (esp MSM) my skin was all glowy- people kept asking if I was in love:confused: I did not have to put even powder on my face. Plus I get this dry cough (allergic reaction) and its totally gone. I added more vits cause I know although I eat relatively healthily I don't eat well so the vits help. I hope my hair growing would be a lovely side effect:D

They do make a difference, but you're body has to be clean first. I did a liver/kidney detox before taking my vitamins, otherwise it may not be as absorbed as it could be (in some cases).

I take the following:

Flax seed oil - Less for my hair, but for supple, resilient, youthful looking skin, however it has resulted in softer and shinier hair. My father is a firm believer that a well moisturized body from the inside is a body that ages slower and is in better health. He doesn't believe in the American fear of fat/oil.

MSM - It makes my hair grow faster and the results on my skin have been amazing. I also like the body detoxifying effects.

Multi-vitamin - For all around good health and my immune system. Mine has a high amount of b-5 which thickens hair.

Biotin - THE ANSWER TO HAIR GROWTH.

Back