Wig experts--help! Just got my first one...

Blu217

...and I look like a drag queen! I ordered several wigs from Especially Yours after reading good reviews on this site; I also read the wig reviews on several wig sites before buying. Two of the three I got today were synthetic, but in the photos they looked realistic. In person they look like fine fiberglass, just shining up a fakey fake unnaturally silky storm. Even the human hair wig looks like white people hair; I need more texture, less shine. They look like everything I feared wigs would look like. I do have a NewHair wig on backorder; I'm hoping that one will look like my own hair.

What do you do to get wigs to look less phony?
Should I avoid synthetics?
Is the "natural skin part" more realistic?
Do they need washing or will that shiny dollhair straightness always be?
Maybe I should try more expensive wigs?
What kinds of wigs are ya'll wearing?

Help, please!

Last edited:

bluediamond0829

well i always buy freetress wigs i perfer their wigs...

i purchased a new one on saturday went in to work on Sunday and everyone thought i had a sewin in....

i went to try on wigs Saturday but they just looked to phony and wiggish...
so i ended up going back and buying one that ive had before but just in different color....ive been wearing it all week long i love Freetress wigs...those are the only wigs that i have found that look more realistic...and really fool alot of people....they do have combs in the front and the back...

BTW when im in wig shops i always perfer hairstyles that are not over the top...its good to always not have alot of hair on a wig..because then it makes it looks wiggish and phony(just something in general that i have observed from my likes and dislikes of wigs)....so i usually go for straight hair styles with bangs swooping to the side--wrap styles(IMO looks more i guess like sewin weave styles)

gmbshair.com
hairsisters.com

i buy the full cap....

heres a link
http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/shngofuba.html

this is the one i went and purchased...i already had 2 before just like this but because it is synthetic hair..the texture changes after awhile...but they arent that expensive so i dont mind replacing them especially if they are going to make me look like i have a sewin weave...

these are the ones i have...

---i didnt care too much for this one

---i love this one....

i also have some pics of me with some of them on in my fotki...

Last edited:

Faithfullover

That's why I never buy wigs online. It's best to go to the BSS and try them on to see if they fit your head. You want to look for one that's on the thin side so it doesn't look like a wig. I had gotten away from wearing them the past year or so but for the past fourteen years I have been the wig queen. Imagine my shock when I went to the store to buy one a few days ago and they had changed. I found one from Harlem 125 that I liked because its thin and it doesn't look like a wig. For protecting my hairline I use a thin piece of silk that I put under my wig cap to keep my edges from taking a beating.

Mya

YUMMY28

Very cute! Is your hairline affected from wearing wigs?
No, because i wear a cap under the wig usually they will give you one at the bss or you can buy a satin one but girl as soon as i am get in the house i snatches mine off it just me and my son so i dont have no one to look cute for

Blu217

Thank you, ladies. Yummy28, you look cute! I especially like the first one.

I might try a Freetress wig; I really like the 2nd to last in bluediamond's post. I'm a little spooked now, tho.

I spent a little time with the one wig I thought had potential, and after some adjusting and playing with it I think that one might work--it's the only human hair wig I got. I might exchange it for a less wiggy color, tho (my idea of dark brown is not theirs).

I don't know of a good wig shop in Charlotte, NC--if someone does, please let me know!

caribgirl

Yummy you look so cute!

I buy half (quick) wigs and I'm soo attached to the one that I'm wearing now- It's by www.Outre.com. It's a really curly one and the pic is in my fotki under prtoective styles. It matches my hair very well (even with my NG) so when I wash my hair, place it in a baggy, no one can tell that it is a 1/2 wig and many think that it is a sew in. Also, it doesn't interfere with my hairline at all. I work with little ones so I just secure it with a few pins, place it in a claw clip, and it is secured very well. We don't want any of the kiddies to snatch it off and get a heart attack when they see what is really going on under there :lachen:( 9wks post relaxed and plastic bags filled with oil is not cute for people who are not hip to LHCF!)

KatKronicles

I would never buy a wig from an online vendor.
THere are only two manufactures that make nice realistic wigs.
1. Outre
2. Sensationel
3. Motown tress ( have to really be careful they tend to be cheap in certain styles)

Sensational wigs in the synthetic tend to have the ability to restyle after washing at least once.

IF you seriously dont like the new wig shine you can cut the shine. Believe me when I tell you after about a week or two the shine diminishes.
But you can simply put fabric softener in a spray bottle. And dilute and spray sparingly over the wig then get a blow dryer and on warm or cool medium to low setting dry the fabric softener mix and it will dull the shine.

Look for styles like, California Girl, Georgia, Carmen, these all are long wigs with a bang, normally with a slight bumped under curl.

Youll want to invest in wig caps and nets and silicone to keep your wigs as fresh as possible

Also, it wouldnt hurt to learn how to make your own wig with human hair and a wig cap ( nylon stocking ) its fairly simple once you get the hang of your closure peice.
Wig Queen.

Last edited: