Wig ladies of LHCF please come in here....

Vintageglam

A few questions for all you lovely wig experts out there...

I am in between installs at the moment and thought I would use wigs/ half wigs as a protective style until my next install. As such I have a few questions which I need help with from LHCF ladies who wear wigs regularly;

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Do you wear a full wig or half wig?
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage?
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]How do you protect your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off??
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth?
6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Do any ladies here make their own wigs and if so how do you go about it?
7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Please name your favourite wig?

I have looked at a lot of wigs on line and at my local BSS and do not like the very synthetic shiny look that I keep seeing so I am thinking of buying some weave hair, a closure and weave cap/ net to have a wig made by my stylist (as if it were an install) to wear between installs. I am not keen on lace fronts as I have heard they are also not great for the edges and want something I can just take off each evening to moisturise my own hair and scalp.

TIA Ladies !!!

Barbie83

1.Do you wear a full wig or half wig?
half wigs

2.How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage?
with half wigs, the front of your hair is out, so I've had no damage so far (besides the little heat I sometimes put on the front to help it blend :ohwell:)

3.How do you protect your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc
I put on a shower cap, then a wig cap (so the wig cap doesn't rub against my hair)

5.Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth?
It's hard to tell; my hair growth slows WAY down in the winter :nono: But my hair does feel great from the almost daily baggying.

6.Do any ladies here make their own wigs and if so how do you go about it?
I would love to know this too!

7.Please name your favourite wig?
Sensationnel HZ 7010 :)love:)
Outre Lilly :yep:

likewtr4chklit

First, please see the wig challenge thread. It has tons of great advice. But to answer your questions.

1.Do you wear a full wig or half wig? Full

2.How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage?
I've been wearing wigs for about four months. I have no damage. I always pull out the combs and secure the wig with pins to avoid the damage the combs may cause.

3.How do you protect your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc
I wear a men's style doo rag it's mesh/satin. I wear it on the satin side, while the mesh side gives enough resistance for the wig not to feel like it will slip.

4.If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off?? see above :)

5.Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth? I sure do, but that's because I wear it in braids or twists so that I don't have to mess with it, but I can still spray my leave-in for moisture.

6.Do any ladies here make their own wigs and if so how do you go about it? no I'm not that talented yet lol.

7.Please name your favourite wig? "Michelle" by Anytime

JJamiah

1.Do you wear a full wig or half wig? Both
2.How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Same as if I didn't wear themHas there been any resulting damage? No
3.How do you protect your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc Sometimes I wear a cap lately I haven't. I put a ouchless pony and then bring my pony to the front and bobby pin
4.If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off??tighten the straps before I put it on add bobby pins to the side if needed
5.Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth? is a great protective style, I wouldn't say it promotes growth but it does act as a low manipulation style.
6.Do any ladies here make their own wigs and if so how do you go about it? No
7.Please name your favourite wig? My favorite is a LaceFront called Elise by FreeTress Equal

JFemme

Not a wig wearer but I see so many cute ones that I'm thinking of giving 'em a go...:grin:

Maybe,:look:

(I'll be eavesdropping up in here)

Queen_Earth

1.Do you wear a full wig or half wig? Full
2.How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage? Not at all; not even when I wore lacefronts w/glue (although I would never do that again)
3.How do you protect your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc I recently started wearing a satin men's doo rag; however, I am going to try the baggying method and then put the cap on over it
4.If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off?? I think the wigs tend to fit pretty well so the doo-rag is enough to make it not fall off; but I do bobby pin the edges and tighten the strap in the back
5.Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth? I do not know; I do know that it keeps my hair covered and I can still moisturize my hair everyday as needed. I think it may help in that way with retention; but probably not growth
6.Do any ladies here make their own wigs and if so how do you go about it? I WISH! I do know a member here does though; her name is escaping me though
7.Please name your favourite wig? I think it might be Cleopatra by Weave Mixtress

aa9746

I am in between installs at the moment and thought I would use wigs/ half wigs as a protective style until my next install. As such I have a few questions which I need help with from LHCF ladies who wear wigs regularly;

1.Do you wear a full wig or half wig? full
2.How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage? No damage, edges are longer than ever
3.How do you protect your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc wig cap, however this year I've been whole head baggying under the wig cap
4.If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off??
5.Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth? Yes

I have looked at a lot of wigs on line and at my local BSS and do not like the very synthetic shiny look that I keep seeing so I am thinking of buying some weave hair, a closure and weave cap/ net to have a wig made by my stylist (as if it were an install) to wear between installs. I am not keen on lace fronts as I have heard they are also not great for the edges and want something I can just take off each evening to moisturise my own hair and scalp. I wore lacefronts last year also with no problems, i don't use glue, tape, or the combs inside the wig. pictures of lacefronts are in my 2009 fotki

YankeeCandle

Hi there :)

BOTH (but recently have cut back on halfs, see below)

I have to be very, very careful about my edges and my crown because they are already naturally thinning. So, I sacrifice some style, looks, and wig "security" in order to protect them.

Here are some things I do:

a. Remove all combs from the wig, as soon as I open the wig package

b. use minimal hairpins to secure

c. when using hairpins, try to put them anywhere except my crown and edges (chief stress areas) or rotate frequently

d. always coat the pins in castor oil to ease the slipping in and out of hair

e. I no longer frequently wear my halfwigs and I do not invest in lacefronts or wigs that sit just above or at the hairline. Rather, I have changed to wigs with BANGS that allow me to position the wig at the most comfortable and least edge-stressing part of my head that I want-- e.g. lower on my forehead (no one will ever know because th ebangs hide it).

The half wigs are really problematic for me because they sit right at the crown, my weakest and thinnest area. So I have basically stopped wearing them and will only pull out my favorites on special occasions.

Wig caps are a big no-no for me because they are tight on my big head and stress the heck out of my edges (and roll up as time goes by).

I put my hair into as small a bun as possible (leaving front hair and edges out as though I were going to wear a half wig; this prevents stress on them from having pulled-back hair).

Then, I take a a clear plastic conditioning cap/bonnet of the sort you could use while coloring or DCing your hair and pop it over the whole thing--over the hair I've left out and over the bun as well.

Then I put the wig on top and then just tuck the corners of the plastic cap underneath the wig so it can't be seen.

The wig will never slip off if you have secured it via some means (e.g. the bra straps that come in some wigs; bobby pins, e tc) or if your head and hair are large enough to provide a tight fit.

4.If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off??

See above. Also, a scarf would not fit under a wig for me because my head is already quite large and my hair is already very bulky because it is not braided.

Well, my hair grows very slowly so I would not want to be your guide on that point, but I feel that when the above precautions are taken, yes, it is a good protective style.

Without paying careful attention to your edges/crown, wigs can be extremely harmful, IMO.

I sure do make my own concoctions. Don't know if they'd be up to the standards of some people, though. :grin: Before doing this last year, I had never picked up a needle and thread in my life.

I do a variety of things.

a. I made my own half-wig by cutting all the hair off of a synthetic cheapie half wig and, being left with the "carcass" of the wig cap, then sewing two packs of the wefted weave of my choice directly on top of the residual hair/track I was unable to cut completely off.

b. I made my own semi- wigs (I don't know what you'd call them) that are meant to be worn only under a hat. I took one pack of wefted weave and sewed it onto a thick, sturdy hair net, but left the whole crown area bare. I pop on my plastic cap, follow with the semi-wig, and top with a cute hat/beanie and go! It is the quickest and most convenient of my fake hair looks.

c. I made my own "quick-weave wig" by glueing two packs of wefted weave onto a stocking cap. I rarely wear this because of the troubles I have with stocking caps. This weave came with a closure so it was no trouble achieving a completely finished look.

Trust me, girl, I am THE MOST UNCOORDINATED WOMAN in the wide world. I am really a bumbler. And *I* was able to make my own halfway decent hair creations. True, they may look a bit unpolished, but a person who is less slipshod and more coordinated than me could obviously achieve a wonderful look on their own.

you do not need to be paying an expert.

Go get yourself two packs of cheapie synthetic hair for a few quid and practice making a "test run" one first to learn the process by trial and error.

Then move on to the high quality hair and make the wig you dream of. :yep:

If you need more specific tips, I will be happy to make a blog post or thread about it when I have the time. :yep:

I only own synthetic wigs/ Halfwigs. (ETA: some of my homemade ones are human hair weave)

My favorite half-wig is The Tammy by the brand Outre. She blends very well with the way my hair looks a few days after wash day (although my hair is tightly curled, but all the frizz on Day 3 obscures that, and it blends well).

My favorite wig for hair texture/look is the Cuma by Bobbi Boss (see my avatar pic, up above) because it closely mimics my hair curl pattern (it's just a bit bigger spirals) and looks natural/like real hair.

My favorite wig to actually wear is the Mimi by Harlem 125. It is wavy hair with straight bangs that cover all sins...including the elastics of the plastic caps I wear underneath. This is a fake-ish synethic at first so you need to run baby powder or cornstarch down it when it arrives.

Last edited:

Lady S

1.Do you wear a full wig or half wig? I wore a half wig when I was transitioning, wearing a full wig sense I got annoyed and just did the big chop.

2.How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage?When I first started, I was not nice to my edges. And they did thin a bit. I've done different things to combat that. Slathering the combs in oil or grease, putting the combs between the hair and the wig camp, and just doing away with the wigs period. Something else I had to do was switch from bonnet to scarf when I go to bed, because the elastic of the bonnet was contributing to the issue. If you do decide to use the combs, slather them with moisturizer/hair grease/oil and make sure you're moistening your edges as well.

3.How do you protect your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc I wear a wig cap. I have had any issues with nylon wig caps, but YMMV. they also make the silky, polyester caps thats marketed to guys as wave caps.

4.If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off?? Can't help you with that. My big head ain't going to fit a scarf under a wig.

5.Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth? Yes!! No doubt about it. *kisses wigs*

6.Do any ladies here make their own wigs and if so how do you go about it? I know some do. That's one of my future products when I have time. There are some good tutorials on YouTube.

7.Please name your favourite wig? It was a half-wig. Sensationnel's Instant Weave Synthetic Half Wig in HZ-7036. I wore the ish out of that thing. Even by the end where it was all nappy in the back, I had to force myself to get rid of it. It's the only half-wig or wig that I've bought multiple times. The only reason I don't wear it anymore is because my 4b texture wouldn't blend with it. Even though, I can always do flat twists in the front. . .:scratchch

SelfStyled

Not a wig wearer but I see so many cute ones that I'm thinking of giving 'em a go...:grin:

Maybe,:look:

(I'll be eavesdropping up in here)

:lachen::lachen:

I am the half wig queen

Me and full wigs do not get along, no matter what I have used to protect my edges, it just feels like too much friction on my hairline. With half wigs, I have no friction on my edges, my edges are actually growing back rather nicely. I started a progress thread just today about my edges, lol.
I don't use anything under my half wigs:blush:. I moisturize, seal, make a plait, put the wig on and go. I abhor wig caps, they give me a headache.

N/A
I have found it to be a great protective style, especially in the winter, it is so cold in New England. Wigs are a great way too retain.

I have made half wigs in the past, I bought some sinky straight hair, and got to sewing, I have a tutorial too....
http://public.fotki.com/SelfStyled/2009/wig-making/homeade-kinky-strai/

I have 2, Motown LG-28 and Outre Jewelry. I love Motown LG 28- It is a straight wig that looks like relaxed hair that is lightly flat ironed or blow dried.
Motown LG 28

Outre Jewlery- this is my avatar pic

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Full
No. Not at all. Edges have been fine. I pay special attention to moisturize, edges & nape.
I wear a Men's Durag (satin cap) that ties. I moisturize and seal underneath.
Haven't had any trouble at all with slipping, sliding etc...It stays in place.
Yes. I live in a Cold Climate and this has been serving a dual purpose. Keeping my Head Warm and Protecting My Hair. (And you never, ever have a "Bad" Hair Day).
N/A
Don't really remember the name. But it looks 'identical' to how I use to wear my hair (before my set-back).:yep:
I have looked at a lot of wigs on line and at my local BSS and do not like the very synthetic shiny look that I keep seeing so I am thinking of buying some weave hair, a closure and weave cap/ net to have a wig made by my stylist (as if it were an install) to wear between installs. I am not keen on lace fronts as I have heard they are also not great for the edges and want something I can just take off each evening to moisturise my own hair and scalp.
This is why I went with a Full Wig.
TIA Ladies !!!

My Answers are Bolded. Let Us Know what you Decide Stella.:grin:

Vintageglam

Ladies thank you so much for all your responses. They have been invaluable. I am really inspired by the exps you have all had in particular with HW and I am going to try this as my new protective style to see how I go with this.... :thought:

I put on a shower cap, then a wig cap (so the wig cap doesn't rub against my hair)

That must provide some pretty intensive conditioning :yep: Have you had any issues with mildew or itching with all the baggyin?

I wear a men's style doo rag it's mesh/satin. I wear it on the satin side, while the mesh side gives enough resistance for the wig not to feel like it will slip.

This sounds like a good idea :yep:

7.Please name your favourite wig? My favorite is a LaceFront called Elise by FreeTress Equal

Nice wig. Is that the one you are wearing in your Avi???

I wore lacefronts last year also with no problems, i don't use glue, tape, or the combs inside the wig. pictures of lacefronts are in my 2009 fotki

Just had a look - very purdy!!! :yep:

I have to be very, very careful about my edges and my crown because they are already naturally thinning. So, I sacrifice some style, looks, and wig "security" in order to protect them.

Here are some things I do:

a. Remove all combs from the wig, as soon as I open the wig package

b. use minimal hairpins to secure

c. when using hairpins, try to put them anywhere except my crown and edges (chief stress areas) or rotate frequently

d. always coat the pins in castor oil to ease the slipping in and out of hair

e. I no longer frequently wear my halfwigs and I do not invest in lacefronts or wigs that sit just above or at the hairline. Rather, I have changed to wigs with BANGS that allow me to position the wig at the most comfortable and least edge-stressing part of my head that I want-- e.g. lower on my forehead (no one will ever know because th ebangs hide it).

The half wigs are really problematic for me because they sit right at the crown, my weakest and thinnest area. So I have basically stopped wearing them and will only pull out my favorites on special occasions.

Wig caps are a big no-no for me because they are tight on my big head and stress the heck out of my edges (and roll up as time goes by).

I put my hair into as small a bun as possible (leaving front hair and edges out as though I were going to wear a half wig; this prevents stress on them from having pulled-back hair).

Then, I take a a clear plastic conditioning cap/bonnet of the sort you could use while coloring or DCing your hair and pop it over the whole thing--over the hair I've left out and over the bun as well.

Then I put the wig on top and then just tuck the corners of the plastic cap underneath the wig so it can't be seen.

The wig will never slip off if you have secured it via some means (e.g. the bra straps that come in some wigs; bobby pins, e tc) or if your head and hair are large enough to provide a tight fit.

Without paying careful attention to your edges/crown, wigs can be extremely harmful, IMO.

I sure do make my own concoctions. Don't know if they'd be up to the standards of some people, though. :grin: Before doing this last year, I had never picked up a needle and thread in my life.

I do a variety of things.

a. I made my own half-wig by cutting all the hair off of a synthetic cheapie half wig and, being left with the "carcass" of the wig cap, then sewing two packs of the wefted weave of my choice directly on top of the residual hair/track I was unable to cut completely off.

b. I made my own semi- wigs (I don't know what you'd call them) that are meant to be worn only under a hat. I took one pack of wefted weave and sewed it onto a thick, sturdy hair net, but left the whole crown area bare. I pop on my plastic cap, follow with the semi-wig, and top with a cute hat/beanie and go! It is the quickest and most convenient of my fake hair looks.

c. I made my own "quick-weave wig" by glueing two packs of wefted weave onto a stocking cap. I rarely wear this because of the troubles I have with stocking caps. This weave came with a closure so it was no trouble achieving a completely finished look.

Trust me, girl, I am THE MOST UNCOORDINATED WOMAN in the wide world. I am really a bumbler. And *I* was able to make my own halfway decent hair creations. True, they may look a bit unpolished, but a person who is less slipshod and more coordinated than me could obviously achieve a wonderful look on their own.

you do not need to be paying an expert.

Go get yourself two packs of cheapie synthetic hair for a few quid and practice making a "test run" one first to learn the process by trial and error.

Then move on to the high quality hair and make the wig you dream of. :yep:

If you need more specific tips, I will be happy to make a blog post or thread about it when I have the time. :yep:

I only own synthetic wigs/ Halfwigs. (ETA: some of my homemade ones are human hair weave)

My favorite half-wig is The Tammy by the brand Outre. She blends very well with the way my hair looks a few days after wash day (although my hair is tightly curled, but all the frizz on Day 3 obscures that, and it blends well).

My favorite wig for hair texture/look is the Cuma by Bobbi Boss (see my avatar pic, up above) because it closely mimics my hair curl pattern (it's just a bit bigger spirals) and looks natural/like real hair.

My favorite wig to actually wear is the Mimi by Harlem 125. It is wavy hair with straight bangs that cover all sins...including the elastics of the plastic caps I wear underneath. This is a fake-ish synethic at first so you need to run baby powder or cornstarch down it when it arrives.

Yankee candle thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this. This is EXACTLY the sort of info I am looking for. I have very weak edges and crown also from micro braids. So much so that I have about 1 -2 inches to grow all the way round. As such I am actually thinking of switching to half wigs. My DH told me off the other day and said that he thought wigs would be better than weaves as there would less tension. you know how it is you want to look beautiful all the time...... :rolleyes:..... But I kinda agree with him now....:ohwell:

2.How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage?When I first started, I was not nice to my edges. And they did thin a bit. I've done different things to combat that. Slathering the combs in oil or grease, putting the combs between the hair and the wig camp, and just doing away with the wigs period. Something else I had to do was switch from bonnet to scarf when I go to bed, because the elastic of the bonnet was contributing to the issue. If you do decide to use the combs, slather them with moisturizer/hair grease/oil and make sure you're moistening your edges as well.

Thanks so much for this info.... I think I will make like other ladies and maybe consider taking the combs out :scratchin:

I am the half wig queen
Me and full wigs do not get along, no matter what I have used to protect my edges, it just feels like too much friction on my hairline. With half wigs, I have no friction on my edges, my edges are actually growing back rather nicely. I started a progress thread just today about my edges, lol.
I don't use anything under my half wigs:blush:. I moisturize, seal, make a plait, put the wig on and go. I abhor wig caps, they give me a headache.

I have made half wigs in the past, I bought some sinky straight hair, and got to sewing, I have a tutorial too....
http://public.fotki.com/SelfStyled/2009/wig-making/homeade-kinky-strai/

I have 2, Motown LG-28 and Outre Jewelry. I love Motown LG 28- It is a straight wig that looks like relaxed hair that is lightly flat ironed or blow dried.
Motown LG 28

Outre Jewlery- this is my avatar pic

My Answers are Bolded. Let Us Know what you Decide Stella.:grin:

Thankyou soooooooo much SS like yankeecandle this is the sort of information I was looking for !!! And yes you are the weave queen and I love your homemade wig - its fantastic. I have loads of used Remi Goddess hair in the house (about 4 packs worth) which is still in great condition that I do not want to throw away so when I am through with my current half wigs I will also start my own DIY project and then have it professionally cut !!!

Thanks so much once again ladies...!!! :thanks:

MizzBrit

1.Do you wear a full wig or half wig? half
2.How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage? i dont wear them on my edges.they are about 1.5 inches away from there
3.How do you protect your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc i wear a nylon weave cap but im thinking of changing to somthing satin
4.If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off??n/a
5.Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth?its a great protective style and very low maintenance for me..i love it
6.Do any ladies here make their own wigs and if so how do you go about it?n/a
7.Please name your favourite wig? i've only tried one and its tammy by outre..she
is soft and very long lasting

Last edited:

Vintageglam

For those ladies who were thinking of making their own wigs.... I found this thread.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=10201082&highlight=#post10201082

I second the OP's sentiments exactly.

I have a TON of used Remi Goddess hair still in good condition so I think I will give the hair a DC and put it to good use.

Can't believe I just threw out 2 old half wigs:wallbash:

ETA: Thread link added - was having a Homer Simpson moment last night!

Last edited:

Vintageglam

So here are the wigs I am thinking of getting. DH has said he will treat me to 4 or 5 wigs to see how I get on in an effort to wean me off the weaves :lol:

I will then see how I get on with them and when they are tired, worn out and the hair starts tangling, I will then substitute with some nice Remi hair..

Let me know what you think ladies. I have a preference for straight hair as I often notice that synthetic curly hair can look very wiggy...:nono:

Also you know how it goes with half wigs sometimes they look awful on the model and great on you when you get home and sometimes vice versa .....:ohwell:

OUTRE-TAMMY

OUTRE YASMINE

OUTRE ELLEN

SENSATIONNEL HZ7058

SENSATIONNEL HZ7018

Last edited:

winnettag

Full wigs

No damage to edges because I moisturize them often and take the wig off when I'm not out and about.

I use a wig cap.

N/A

Yes. :yep:

I wish.

No favorites, but I definitely prefer human hair lace fronts from makers of full lace wigs.

glamazon386

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Do you wear a full wig or half wig? I wear both
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage? Nope
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]How do you protect your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc. I don't wear anything.
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off?? N/A
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth? Yes.
6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Do any ladies here make their own wigs and if so how do you go about it? No.
7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Please name your favourite wig? I have so many I don't even know where to start.

RubyWoo

1.Do you wear a full wig or half wig? Half Wig
2.How have you found wigs to be on your edges? Has there been any resulting damage? So far no more than what was already there prior to wigging it.
3.How do you your hair under wigs? i.e. do you wear a wig cap/ scarf etc Since the end of November until the end of January, I wasn't wearing anything underneath and my hair still thrived. However, I decided to wear a mesh wig cap underneath since it's easier to put my wig on with a cap on.
4.If you wear a scarf under your wig how does that work so that the wig does not slip off?? No
5.Have you found this to be a good protective style which promotes growth? Definitely!
6.Do any ladies here make their own wigs and if so how do you go about it? Yes, I just get a wig cap and synthetic hair from the store. I put the wig cap on my mannequin head and sew the hair like I usually would sew a sew-in.
7.Please name your favourite wig? SENSATIONNEL INSTANT WEAVE SYNTHETIC HALF WIG HZ-7036