Wig Wearers- What's your hair routine?

Froggie

I wear my wig everyday. I co-wash 2x a week and pre-poo weekly. I two-strand twist my hair daily. I'm concerned that I might be handling my hair to much. How do you style your hair under the wig? How much growth have you experienced? I could ask a million questions, but I wont. I'll just wait for your answers. Thanks :bouncegre

maysay

Well, I wear a wig so I don't have to do my hair, so your regimen would definitely be too much for me and it'd be way too much manipulation for my hair.

I always keep my hair in braids so when I wash it's already braided. My basic regimen is to:
-Oil with coconut oil
-shampoo
-condition
-once out of the shower undo a braid, detangle, moisturize (using regular conditioner), and rebraid.

Throughout the week I usually don't have to add any more moisturizer or anything. I do oil my scalp since I have dermatitis that I'm trying to get rid of, but that's it. I usually wash once or twice a week but I only unbraid/rebraid every few washes, basically once a month.

Last time I wore wigs for 6 months straight I retained about 2.5 inches of growth. You can also check out the wig challenge to learn other people's regimens.

EbbonyTx

I wear wigs all the time except when I'm relaxing or sleeping. Underneath, I wet my hair, moisturize, wrap with a shower comb, & seal. I wear a wig cap on top of that. I moisturize/seal twice a day or as needed.

Sometimes I do full baggying with a wig cap as a prepoo. For half-wigs I pull my hair in a ponytail. I need to learn to cornrow my hair for better protective styling!

PrePOO overnight with oil mix or a quick oil massage
Cowash a min. of 2x per week
DC after every wash
JBCO on scalp
Moisturize with S-curl, Nouveau, or HE LTR
Seal with CO, JBCO, or Sweet Almond Oil

Only thing I don't like is my shedding. It's very minimal but I'm still LOSING HAIR LOL.

ARE YOU HAVING BREAKAGE? IF NOT YOU'RE PROBABLY NOT OVER MANIPULATING.

I love my wigs. Even when I reach my goal length I will still rock them :)
Or bun.....

JJamiah

There are tons of routines and tips posted in the 2010 WIG CHALLENGE!

:yep::yep: I second that!

I have a weekly regimen (wash and dc/steam). I am wearing my piece right now. Funny thing is I rotate the through three of my hair pieces right now. I don't know if I am going to be Vera Today, Ruby tomorrow or Half the day and then switch to Elise. The other wigs aren't getting any love right now. I will rock these for the rest of the year! :grin:

MizzBrit

-moisturize and seal morning and night
-redo cornrows ever 4 weeks
-co wash 2-3x a week
-detangle & henna 1x a month afte ri take out cornrows

LongCurlz

I wear wigs 90% of the year, I keep my hair flat twisted underneath
-I spritz my hair daily with BeeMine Juicy Moisturizing Daily Spritz
-wash my hair once a week with beemine shampoo bar and condition with either HSR or a homemade conditioner,detangle, then re-flattwist

I really dont do much to my hair anymore I just K.I.S

Millyj

I am wearing a human hair 1/2 wig right now and I LOVE IT!!! Well I co wash once a week and pre-poo on Saturdays. I just french braid my hair in four cornrows and put coconut oil on the ends and pin up. But since I don't have any hair out while wearing my wig, I brush the front to the back and put a little OP gel on it with a headband to top it off...I LOVE this wig and it's a great way to leave my hair alone. My plan is to wear a wig or ponytail OR just pulled back in my natural state and only flat iron at the end of the month...so far so good....That way I can see my growth.

Last edited: