Wigs for the Winter??

tffy2004

I live in North Dakta and this will be my first winter up here and to be honest with you I am not looking forward to it. But seeing that we will be here for the next two years I might as well make the best of it. I want to purchase 2-3 wigs for the winter to protect my hair if I ever have to go out in that mess.:(

I was wondering if anyone here does wigs in the winter to protect their hair from winters harsh elements, if so how do you wear your hair under the wig?

And how do you take care of a wig, do you shampoo it or what:confused:

Thanks Ladies.
Keep growing that beatiful hair.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Hey!

I cornrowed my hair from side to side and got my sis to sew the tail to a cornrow to keep from hanging out under my wig. I used braid spray and S-curl to moisturize. I used mtg and wgho on my scalp. I got good growth and thickness. This time around I plan on sticking with it for about 4-6 months. I know I can't stretch relaxers that long so I'm thinking that I might stretch for two months at a time and keep it in cornrows so I can wear my wigs through the rest of fall and winter.

Iluvsmuhgrass

btw usually the wigs come with instructions on how to wash. I've never had a human hair wig so I'm not sure how to care for those.

atlien11

I am getting a new LF unit in this weekend that i plan on using for the colder months. Granted my winter will not be nearly as harsh as yours (i live in atlanta), i plan on having cornrows under my wig as well. Its very little manipulation and it allows you to take care of your scalp and add any 'treatments' to it. The girl that braids my hair does vertical cornrows (front to back) and she takes the ends and sews them in between the parts so that the wig lays flat as possible. This takes an extra 15 minutes but is well worth it.

- cornrows tend to hold water so make sure that your hair is as dry as it can be so that you dont get sick.
- Dont leave your cornrows in too long. I redo mine every 8-10 days so that there is no matting or complications when removing.
- Moisturize your hair well. Use a sealant to help keep the moisture in.
- I wash my wig with conditioner and every so often with a diluted shampoo (aveda). I dont use a leave-in because this remy hair doesnt like product too well (not sure why).
- After washing i comb it out and put it up somewhere to air dry. I think a blowdryer would work but i just let mine airdry overnight so that my wig lasts longer. From what ive heard, sitting under a dryer with your wig on may compromise the fit/shape of your wig.

Sorry so long. HTH!! POST PICS TOO!

tffy2004

I don't plan on getting human hair just something to get my hair through the winter. It may be a while before I get one though. But thats ok cause I have heard the winters are pretty long here.

Thanks Atlien for all the great tips and advice I promise I will post pictures as soon as I get one whenever that may be.

Iluvsmuhgrass thanks for your help also.

tenderheaded

I've used wigs off and on for 15 yrs to help me stay professional looking. I got a compliment yesterday on how good my hair looked and I had to admit it was bought hair:lol:

I've had it braided when I was natural. Since I'm relaxed I wrap it around my head. I've got the ends in a baggy with WGO.

www.esperciallyyours.com has a good selection. My 2 short wigs were $29 and $39 each.

And yes, your head will stay warmer:)

LaShanne

R U in the Air Force? I feel your pain...I've never been there but I lived in Bitburg, GE for 3 yrs and the winters were hell on my hair!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I too am in a city where the winters are super harsh and I love my wigs. Mine (I have 2, and a phony pony) are made from synthetic hair and I clean them by misting them with diluted shampoo and conditioner once every 2 weeks. I let them air dry and then apply serum to get any strays out of the way. I brush them with a wig brush to get the shape back.

Since my hair is so short, I moisturize and seal with oil and then slick it back. I then put on a wig cap and put on the wig.

Nic_Cali

Tiff, sorry to have to high jack your thread but I too am considering using a wig for the winter months but I live in Cali.
Thanks tenderhead I checked out the site you suggested:
http://www.especiallyyours.com

What do you guys think about this? This is off the chain to me, is this what a lace front looks like because I can not even tell this is a wig.
Straight

Curled

nomoweavesfome

Nic_Cali said:
Tiff, sorry to have to high jack your thread but I too am considering using a wig for the winter months but I live in Cali.
Thanks tenderhead I checked out the site you suggested:
http://www.especiallyyours.com

What do you guys think about this? This is off the chain to me, is this what a lace front looks like because I can not even tell this is a wig.
Straight

Curled

i have this wig. It does look very very real. I found the clips get tangled in your hair. and my wig was really really kinky and had to put a super relaxer on it, The hair felt funny like horse hair. It din't feel human in my opinion. BUT inspite of all that, it looks really real.

I wear wigs all year long. I wore my fall for the first time tonite after having it stored up for months because it is jet black and I just rinsed my hair jet black. But it's a 3/4 sinthetic(whiich I normally do human hair) and it doesn't have combs in the front, so I went to church tonite and got my praise on and let this lady hug me and it almost slipped off!!!!!!:eek: Needless to say this won't be my siggy wig. I'm researching lacefronts actually.

atlien11, where are you getting you lace front from???

yo523jo68

Nic, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks so natural in the pic. I wonder if any of the LHCF ladies have it or one like it. (With the open part)? If so, does it look natural on?
TIA

Nic_Cali

yo523jo68 said:
Nic, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks so natural in the pic. I wonder if any of the LHCF ladies have it or one like it. (With the open part)? If so, does it look natural on?
TIA

I know isn't it somethin'? I love, love, love this and it's on sale :grin:

Nic_Cali

Ms. Nomo,
Would you say that your money overall was well spent or should I run in the other direction with this one? If so, what would you suggest considering you are a guru? Did you braid half of your hair underneath, why did it tangle? Sorry for the fifty-eleven questions? :p

nomoweavesfome said:
i have this wig. It does look very very real. I found the clips get tangled in your hair. and my wig was really really kinky and had to put a super relaxer on it, The hair felt funny like horse hair. It din't feel human in my opinion. BUT inspite of all that, it looks really real.

rootdeep

I have/had that "wig" as well and I would call it more of a fall. When I first started getting serious about my hair last winter I bought that and man...it sure is NAPPY! I mean ....horse hair isnt that rough...maybe its squirrel hair or something. My hair was all shiny and black (by the way I bought it in 1b and it looked more of a brown color than black) I didnt like it and I ended up using it for a play that I was in this summer. Matter of fact I'm going to rock it in my play this weekend too! LOL

nomoweavesfome said:

I wear wigs all year long. I wore my fall for the first time tonite after having it stored up for months because it is jet black and I just rinsed my hair jet black. But it's a 3/4 sinthetic(whiich I normally do human hair) and it doesn't have combs in the front, so I went to church tonite and got my praise on and let this lady hug me and it almost slipped off!!!!!!:eek: Needless to say this won't be my siggy wig. I'm researching lacefronts actually.

atlien11, where are you getting you lace front from???

brownsugarflyygirl

I have NEVER EVER in my life considered wearing a wig until now :D I was thinking of getting one for the winter time this year....a good no-heat protective style...

I figure it like paying $40 for a hairstyle that lasts - thats what I used to pay at the shop for something that lasted a week so why not

InNeedofHairapy

I'd love to be able to wear a wig or two for the winter..my one dilemma though is that I have a pretty big dome.

I guess I should go try some on somewhere and see what is what. Because the only time my hair grew and retained length was as a kid when my mom kept me cornrowed up...I'd love to be able to wear cornrows a week at a time, but I need a wig to cover them up.

nomoweavesfome

Nic_Cali said:
Ms. Nomo,
Would you say that your money overall was well spent or should I run in the other direction with this one? If so, what would you suggest considering you are a guru? Did you braid half of your hair underneath, why did it tangle? Sorry for the fifty-eleven questions? :p

nomoweavesfome said:

rootdeep got me laughin because the hair is SERIOUSLY KINKY for real. It's not your average KINK. I thought maybe I just got a bad one out the bunch. lol. I actually had to apply super relaxer on it twice to strectch it on out and I got 1b as well and it was too brown and I had to apply a rinse on that joker too!!! Needless to say , although I love to customize wigs, that was too much work!!!!!

When I initially wore it, I wore it like the lady on the website showing how to comb your har back and leave the hair out and so forth. It tangled trying to take it off. Then I tried to cornrow my hair with it, and it didn't tangle as much but it still tangled, but I can't cornrow a lick, My cornrows are too big and not tight. So maybe if you do small tight cornrows you'll be fine.

Styling that joker is rough too- you will need to put whatever iron you have on the hottest setting- I'm telling you right now!!! But inspite of all the work to get it right afterwards, it looks very real. When I first wore it people were staring like oh snap her hair grew!! lol I'm laughing to myself like sike!!! It's also very hot on the head so it makes an ideal winter wig but definitely not the summer!!!!!

tffy2004

LaShanne said:
R U in the Air Force? I feel your pain...I've never been there but I lived in Bitburg, GE for 3 yrs and the winters were hell on my hair!

Nope not in the Air Force. It was my husbands brilliant idea to move here:cool:. He plays college football and this is the one school that has the program he is comfortable with.

MizAvalon

tenderheaded said:
I've used wigs off and on for 15 yrs to help me stay professional looking. I got a compliment yesterday on how good my hair looked and I had to admit it was bought hair:lol:

I've had it braided when I was natural. Since I'm relaxed I wrap it around my head. I've got the ends in a baggy with WGO.

www.esperciallyyours.com has a good selection. My 2 short wigs were $29 and $39 each.

And yes, your head will stay warmer:)

Tenderheaded, thanks so much for posting this! There are lots of cute little styles there. I think I might get a couple for the winter!:)

carameldiva

I'm wigging it for the winter too. I got two wigs from an ebay seller who resides in china- i love both of them. One is human and the other is synthetic. I just cornrowed my hair into 6 cornrows and then put on a wig cap and then put my wig on. I love it.

nomoweavesfome said:
Nic_Cali said:
Ms. Nomo,

rootdeep got me laughin because the hair is SERIOUSLY KINKY for real. It's not your average KINK. I thought maybe I just got a bad one out the bunch. lol. I actually had to apply super relaxer on it twice to strectch it on out and I got 1b as well and it was too brown and I had to apply a rinse on that joker too!!! Needless to say , although I love to customize wigs, that was too much work!!!!!

When I initially wore it, I wore it like the lady on the website showing how to comb your har back and leave the hair out and so forth. It tangled trying to take it off. Then I tried to cornrow my hair with it, and it didn't tangle as much but it still tangled, but I can't cornrow a lick, My cornrows are too big and not tight. So maybe if you do small tight cornrows you'll be fine.

Styling that joker is rough too- you will need to put whatever iron you have on the hottest setting- I'm telling you right now!!! But inspite of all the work to get it right afterwards, it looks very real. When I first wore it people were staring like oh snap her hair grew!! lol I'm laughing to myself like sike!!! It's also very hot on the head so it makes an ideal winter wig but definitely not the summer!!!!!
I think you did get a bad batch. I purchased this same wig from paula young and the hair texture was fine. It looked just like the picture. the only problem I had with it was that it was far shorter than the picture belied and also I ordered #2 but it looked like #4, so I returned it for that reason.

Tffy2004, to answer your question about the care of wigs, I mostly have synthetic. I wash my synthetic in fabric softener. What I do is put a capful into a basin and after brushing my wig to remove tangles, I just lay it in there. I don't rub, wring, twist, nothing. I let it sit there. I go off and do somethign and come back later and rinse it off. Maybe about 20 minutes or so.
For my curly wigs, what I will do is pin them to a styrofoam wig head, then cover it with a mesh weaving cap and I put it in the bin and let it sit there--no manipulation. I let my wigs drip dry.

Nic Cali, the wigs you showed the picture of are omega part wigs. They look realistic b/c a horseshoe shaped part in the front of the wig is cut out and you pull your own hair through the hole and over to cover up the sides. These wont' look natural if a.your hair texture doesn't match the wig b.your hair color doesn't match c.your hair is much shorter or longer than the wig itself. The downside to these wigs is the fact that some have had breakage and problems with the clips used to secure the wig to your head.

I personally have a wig by New Hair called "Lucy", which is a little longer than the one pictured.

nissi

See ya'll i got this wig too and i thought it was just me! I was like, "Why is this thing brown when i know I ordered 1B?" And of course I never got around to coloring it! :ohwell:

And now I am planning to take it to my hairdresser and color and perm that joker! I neva thought of it before, but thanks, NoMo! I paid about $60 for that thing when it came out, and now it's somewhere in the back of the closet! I want to get my money out of it!

Besides for the clips being a little tricky, the only other negative thing I would say is that styling your own hair to match the wig hair in texture (back then I was natural, now I am permed) can end up defeating what you were trying to accomplish with "protective" styling. So then you end up wanting full coverage with a realistic front.

For that reason, I am getting a lacefront for the winter. :D

mercedes826

B_Phlyy said:
I too am in a city where the winters are super harsh and I love my wigs. Mine (I have 2, and a phony pony) are made from synthetic hair and I clean them by misting them with diluted shampoo and conditioner once every 2 weeks. I let them air dry and then apply serum to get any strays out of the way. I brush them with a wig brush to get the shape back.

Since my hair is so short, I moisturize and seal with oil and then slick it back. I then put on a wig cap and put on the wig.

My hair is also short. I moisturize and seal also but when I put the wig cap on it dries my hair out at the end of the day. What kind of wig caps do you use. I have purchased the nylon ones.

nomoweavesfome

mercedes826 said:
My hair is also short. I moisturize and seal also but when I put the wig cap on it dries my hair out at the end of the day. What kind of wig caps do you use. I have purchased the nylon ones.

THE WIG CAP WILL DRY THE HAIR OUT UNLESS YOU GET IT GOOD AND GREASY. ALMOST LIKE BACK IN THE DAY WHEN YOU HAD A 2 MONTH OLD SCARF YOU NEVER WASHED SORT OF THING. I KNOW I KNOW- THAT'S NASTY. I KNOW PLENTY OF US DID THIS BACK IN THE DAY. NO SHAME. JUST OIL IT UP SO THAT WHEN YOU PUT IT ON YOUR HEAD IT'S NOT ABSORBING OIL FROM YOUR HEAD BUT RATHER HELPING TO ADD SOME OIL.