Will a Non-SLS Poo or Baking Soda Get Rid of Cones?

CocoGlow

Hey ladies

I am still trying to wrap my head around a few things. I was avoiding silicones for a long time b/c I read everywhere that they can only be removed w/ harsh sulfate based shampoo, and I can't use those on my dry hair but I am having a dilemma b/c I am tempted to try some products that do have silicones in them

So I just need to know before I purchase anything, whether or not I can get rid of cones w/ a non-SLS poo or maybe a baking soda wash?

By the way, I understand that there are different cones ..some are easier to get rid of than others, but I am still not clear about it all

Also, if you can provide a list of non-SLS poos that are gentle but capable of getting rid of cones...... any info you have will greatly be appreciated!!!

I am interested in trying the Breakthru Shampoo that a lot of people have raved about as a very moisturizing poo, and I know it does not contain sulfates...so if anyone has expereince successfully using that one after using cones on their hair, I'd like to know....

LovelyLionessa

Yes! If a poo contains coco betaine or cocamidopropyl betaine you can still get rid of cones with out using sulfates. :yep: That why I love Organix poos, they're sulfate free but they contain CB to get rid of cones. I think that why some people haven't liked CON and have talked about a dreaded buidlup as it doesn't contain the cleansing agent CB.

Check out this article, it's one of my favorites on the subject of silicones and such:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones

HTH :)

Cheleigh

It depends on the type of silicone and its modification. You'd have to know the specific silicone the product uses to determine whether it's water soluable. If the silicone is naturally or modified to be water soluable, you can use a non-sulfate shampoo to remove. Some non-soluable cones "can" sometimes be removed by a non-sulfate shampoo. However, others need a sulfate shampoo to remove them.

I avoid non-soluable cones generally, but since I use heavy butters, waxes, and the occasional silicone, eventually I will suffer from product build-up. I use a non-sulfate shampoo weekly, and then use a clarifying shampoo (sulfate) once a month or so. My hair doesn't seem to suffer from this occasional use of sulfates. Overall, I believe that product build-up does happen if you are using any butters, waxes, heavy oils, or silicones and I think infrequent use of a sulfate--doesn't have to be the harshest sulfates like sodium laureth sulfate) can be ok. Otherwise, I think using a sulfate-free shampoo the rest of the time is great.

CocoGlow

Thanks ladies!!

I will definitely look up the info you gave and pay attention to which cones, if any that I add to my routine and use the proper cleanser to remove them

I'm going to check out CenteredGirl's routine again, I know she uses baking soda but I didn't know she uses cones as well..hmm I'll check that out

Thanks again
NappyRina