Will you ALWAYS have to baggy?

gimbap

I want to try the baggy method, but I don't want to have to baggy for the rest of my life.
For those who have baggy'd before, once you stopped, how did your hair respond?

I baggied at the beginning of my hair journey and it really helped my ends...they were less frizzy and split a LOT less that I was used to. I found that the more I baggied, the better my ends were and the MORE length I retained due to keeping my ends healthy. Now I rarely baggy...maybe once or twice a year just fro the heck of it.

I agree with Babygurl...whether or not you baggy forever is a decision that you would have to make, but you are certainly not obligated to baggy at all. IMO it's just a great way to baby your ends;) It keeps my ends protected and cuts down on the frizz. There are other ways to protect your ends...just baby them and you should be fine.

I just started back baggying. When I stopped I didn't take care of my ends and had to trim because of it. I find that the baggy is just simple for me....I think I'll do it forever unless I decide to sport a short do:grin:

I do one month of intense baggying and then occasionally for a couple of months, and then as needed. Right now I am doing the intense baggy thing because I have my hair in cornrows and doing the Max. Growth challenge...leave hair alone thingy. bonjour

Half of the stuff I do now, I won't do once I reach mydesired length. I baggy now, but I don't plan on doing it anymore once I reach WSL.

The whole purpose of the baggy method is to retain length. When you get to your goal you can stop if you want to. You don't have to do anything.

LocksOfLuV said:
The whole purpose of the baggy method is to retain length. When you get to your goal you can stop if you want to. You don't have to do anything.

I know that. I just don't want my hair to get "used" to being in the baggy and start breaking off once I stop.

I don't think your hair will break after doing the baggie method. As the others have mentioned, it's a good technique for retaining length, getting rid of frizzy ends, and preventing split ends. I do it every once and a while when my ends are acting up. When I stop, my ends are great for months at a time. I just resume when my ends aren't getting straight after rollersets or something like that.

I am the baggy QUEEN. It has helped me a lot in retaining my length. I will continue to do this until I reach my goals. it is definitely worth doing.

I don't baggy at all. I haven't been able to work it into my routine because I don't wear phoney ponies. BUT I do baggy my whole head overnight once or twice a week. :) That counts since my ends are being pampered along with the entire strand.

I baggied once and that's cause i was washing my hair the next day and i wanted to do an overnight pre-poo. Anyway, the ladies that baggie and not wash out the next day, do you just baggie the ends ot the whole hair? I need to start babying my ends 'cause they starting to act up and i wanna reach my goals by august and i believe this can benefit my breaking ends. So anywho, who here just baggies the ends? Also, do you guys just baggie overnight or do you leave the baggie on during the day? If you leave it on during the day, what styles are you guys doing to hide the baggie? I don't wanna walk around campus with a bag on my ends...LOL

God's Anointed said:
I baggied once and that's cause i was washing my hair the next day and i wanted to do an overnight pre-poo. Anyway, the ladies that baggie and not wash out the next day, do you just baggie the ends ot the whole hair? I need to start babying my ends 'cause they starting to act up and i wanna reach my goals by august and i believe this can benefit my breaking ends. So anywho, who here just baggies the ends? Also, do you guys just baggie overnight or do you leave the baggie on during the day? If you leave it on during the day, what styles are you guys doing to hide the baggie? I don't wanna walk around campus with a bag on my ends...LOL

I only baggy my ends when I do it. Usually, I will baggy for 2-3 days straight maximum. I apply conditioner and oil to my ends and baggie with saran wrap. Then I cover my hair with a phony bun. I really hate wearing them nowadays :lol: but it's so convenient.

I am currently baggying and loving it. I don't baggy on the weekend to give my ends and hair a rest from the intensity of it but I love it!! And I see great changes on my ends.

I baggied everyday for about three months to get my hair in shape. Now I baggie on the weekends or I may put it on at night when I remember (2-3 times weekly)it really helped me and is my secret weapon:cool: whenever my hair is giving me problems.

Royal Glory said:
I don't baggy at all. I haven't been able to work it into my routine because I don't wear phoney ponies. BUT I do baggy my whole head overnight once or twice a week. :) That counts since my ends are being pampered along with the entire strand.

I may do this instead. Thanks!

texasgrl said:
I baggied everyday for about three months to get my hair in shape. Now I baggie on the weekends or I may put it on at night when I remember (2-3 times weekly)it really helped me and is my secret weapon:cool: whenever my hair is giving me problems.
Hi all, I'm new to LCHF, I am curious as to what exactly baggying is and what purpose it serves. Thanks in advance.

I baggie 24/7 and I keep all my length but I am so obsessed with baggying now. I do not like for my ends to be dry, I love baggying sooooo much but when my hair becomes bs. I'm going to cut the baggying out some. Once I'm bs, I will wear my hair out maybe 2 or 3 times a week and baggy the other days:) Baggying makes my ends so soft and moisturized. I am sooo addicted to it that it don't make no sense:grin:

Royal Glory said:

RG, I baggie 24/7 and I don't wear a phony pony either. What I do is put my own hair gently into a ponytail and baggie my ends and then I put a bun cover over the baggie, some times I put little cute accessories around the bun covers and sometimes I wear my bangz out too:) It works for me;)

I actually LIKE to baggie, so I could see myself doing it on the regular even if my hair is in prefect condition.

yellagirl730 said:
Hi all, I'm new to LCHF, I am curious as to what exactly baggying is and what purpose it serves. Thanks in advance.

The purpose of the baggy method is to protect the ends of our hair which is where we have historically had trouble keeping so that it will continue to gain length.

Here are some pictures of how it is done. You would use whatever type of moisture product you want and then take a sandwich bag, plastic conditioner cap or saran wrap and wrap the hair and place a hair wrap, wig or phony pony or bun to protect it.

Like so.

HairProducts138.jpg
This is a plastic conditioner cap I have on my braids and a hair band to keep it on.

HairProducts129.jpg
I then put on a hair net to keep my hair from rubbing up against this curly wig I purchased. In stead of putting it on my whole head I just pulled it back and used it as a 3/4 wig.

HairProducts128.jpg
This is the front of my head.

Hope this answers your questions. :)

As for the original question you can stop bagging your hair there is a lady with the fokti names Kemi21 and this is what she did last year but in the last few months she has not and has decided no longer to do the baggie method. I have adopted her as my hair mentor and when I reach a certain length I am going to stop also.

I think there are many way to protect the ends and this is one of them.

Last edited:
I looove the baggie method! This has been a total hair saver for me. I'm getting far less breakage than normal. I whole-head baggie over night for moisture retention (my hair is very dry). I just saturate my hair with Scurl (I also spritz with some water beforehand) and some oil and place a bag over it (I'm ghetto so I use grocery bags, I keep forgetting to pick up some conditioning caps).

I think I will always have to baggie just because I have really dry hair that likes the extra attention and moisture. I will continue even once I get to my goal length.

Back