With all our knowledge, why do we tolerate this?

tenjoy

Title credit to AtlantaJJ in another discussion

Ladies. Why do we go through trial and error to learn what works for our hair? Why are sooo quick to give somebody a mouthful of information about hair? why do we tell our friends what they should or should not be doing to their hair. Give the chick in the BSS a lesson on why that product is whack. Back smack anyone who even looks like they want to touch our hair. We pride ourselves about our knowledege. All these pre-poos, oil rinses, internet orders on hard to find products, paying top $$$ for some damn conditioner. The hair rituals, protective styling, babying, progress pics, fotki maintenance........and so on.

Yet, we go to the salon and get every thing we worked for taken away. We let them chop, over-process, and dictate what we need. We shrink at confronting them, just say in the back of our heads " this is my last visit" while your head is burning from a relaxer.

We need to interview, let them know what you expect and will not tolerate. We pay them, They work for us. We need to bring our own products and not be embarrassed at our rituals. Tell dem **&&* they need to take time to detangle. I dont want one of your patrons/cousins washing the relaxer out of my hair because you need to run to the store. Dont grease my scalp! Let me face the damn mirror! Get off the cell phone! No you cant break when the Chinese food man come! That towel look dirty. And for the last damn time DONT CLIP MY ENDS.

.........or get a pibbs and learn to rollerset yourself.

For some of the other posters, I really can't understand when I read their posts. I'll be thinking while reading it, "But whyyy?":look:

But then sometimes, I guess people get caught up. I really can't explain it.

This happening to me though, "uh,uh.":lachen:

I too have been victimizd by a stylist. :lachen: When i do go know, I wash, condition detangle and put a plastic cap on my soaking wet hair (you should see the puddle in the back of the cap) and let them rinse the conditioner out and roll. "No oil sheen, grease or brushing please, thank you".

It probably also has something to do with the fact that we're already in their chair and don't want to look stupid for protesting in front of a salon full of people. That, or, you've got a really persistent stylist!

For some of the other posters, I really can't understand when I read their posts. I'll be thinking while reading it, "But whyyy?":look:

But then sometimes, I guess people get caught up. I really can't explain it.

This happening to me though, "uh,uh.":lachen:

I often wonder the same thing. I've had stylists get mad at me for voicing my opinion but it's my hair dammit. I put too much time and effort into taking care of it for somebody to do as they please with it. They got one time and then I won't be returning to them. It's so hard to find a stylist that treats your hair the way you want it treated. But once you do find that person, it's great.

This is exactly why I don't let stylists anywhere near my hair. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I can't risk my hair in the process of finding them. So, I can't always get the style I want, or my ends look a little more uneven than the chick who just came from the salon. However, my hair is healthy, and the majority of it stays on my head (where I like it). Basically, if I can't do it myself I feel like my hair doesn't need it. I am done risking my hard work and progress.

This is exactly why I don't let stylists anywhere near my hair. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I can't risk my hair in the process of finding them. So, I can't always get the style I want, or my ends look a little more uneven than the chick who just came from the salon. However, my hair is healthy, and the majority of it stays on my head (where I like it). Basically, if I can't do it myself I feel like my hair doesn't need it. I am done risking my hard work and progress.

OKAAAAAY!:goodone:

I bring my own products to the salon when I go and am also fortunate to have a stylist that listens to me (most of the time).:lol: She's always used top notch products on my hair and never uses oil. She's quick to trim (for free) but won't do it if I tell her not to. She can also get a little heavy handed with the combing. I can't expect her to take the same time, care, and patience with my hair that I would at home, when she's got 30 other clients waiting for her to stick me under the dryer.

My Solution: Arrive at the shop already washed, dc'ed, detangled, and blowdried. She doesn't charge me for any of those things anyway. So I might as well do it myself and get it done how I want it. Most of the infractions people complain about happen between going from wet to dry....So why not do that part myself? She can proceed from there and everyone is happy.;)

I feel ya. I still don't undersand how you can let someone chop off 2-3 inches and not know about it until they are finished.

Tell dem **&&* they need to take time to detangle. I dont want one of your patrons/cousins washing the relaxer out of my hair because you need to run to the store. Dont grease my scalp! Let me face the damn mirror! Get off the cell phone! No you cant break when the Chinese food man come! That towel look dirty. And for the last damn time DONT CLIP MY ENDS..

Yea I think people have a lot of pity parties and cry alot and put up posts of how their hair gets ruined... all cause they let some person jack them up. Thats why I refuse to go until I know I can trust that stylist like family. I would rather be the one to jack my hair up than let some stranger do it. Because nothing is worse than knowing you let someone do something to you- especially if you were afraid to ask questions or make demands. If you cant stand up for yourself, then you shouldnt even get mad about the results.

What... You're bald? Your hair is the wrong color? Your relaxer was too harsh and you have the crusties and bald spots? You're shoulder length after being ankle length when you needed a trim? You came in with thick hair and left lookin like Homer Simpson? You have micros instead of regular box braids?
Wait... you saw this woman cutting your hair, felt the perm burning your head, knew the woman was putting your braids in too tight, and heard the woman on the phone instead of paying attention to where she was putting the hilights or how long she let the dye sit?

Well then shame on you. Im sorry for your loss, but you musta not been worryin about it while that woman was hackin at your head.

Yea I think people have a lot of pity parties and cry alot and put up posts of how their hair gets ruined... all cause they let some person jack them up. Thats why I refuse to go until I know I can trust that stylist like family. I would rather be the one to jack my hair up than let some stranger do it. Because nothing is worse than knowing you let someone do something to you- especially if you were afraid to ask questions or make demands. If you cant stand up for yourself, then you shouldnt even get mad about the results.

What... You're bald? Your hair is the wrong color? Your relaxer was too harsh and you have the crusties and bald spots? You're shoulder length after being ankle length when you needed a trim? You came in with thick hair and left lookin like Homer Simpson? You have micros instead of regular box braids?
Wait... you saw this woman cutting your hair, felt the perm burning your head, knew the woman was putting your braids in too tight, and heard the woman on the phone instead of paying attention to where she was putting the hilights or how long she let the dye sit?

Well then shame on you. Im sorry for your loss, but you musta not been worryin about it while that woman was hackin at your head.

CHURCH ! :clapping::clap::clapping:

Last edited:

Your posts always make me chuckle a bit but you speak Truth.:yep:
I wouldnt be honest if I didnt say these things used to pertain to me because I was too afraid to speak up. I used to be afraid just to go into a beauty salon alone-I dont really know why, I found it intimidating and cant stand a bunch of people staring at me. Nowadays I've been trying to learn how to do my hair myself, it's been months and my hair is doing well.

Your posts always make me chuckle a bit but you speak Truth.:yep:
I wouldnt be honest if I didnt say these things used to pertain to me because I was too afraid to speak up. I used to be afraid just to go into a beauty salon alone-I dont really know why, I found it intimidating and cant stand a bunch of people staring at me. Nowadays I've been trying to learn how to do my hair myself, it's been months and my hair is doing well.

Good for you girl!

Im just now getting healthier hair and learning how to take care of it too, so I wont let someone take that progress away by intimidating me with some fine toothed comb and scissors doing some damage I coulda done all by myself... $#*#Q%! stylists... Half of them are bald headed anyway. And a lot of the ones that got hair bought it. Some of them can't wait to &$$# someone with long hair up, talkin about "You need an edgier short look" or "Your ends are dead."

However my mom is asking us all (my sisters and I are bridesmaids) to get our hair done for her wedding (im not paying, and I am a sap for anything free... :rolleyes:) so I have agreed to do so. I will be writing a list of things I refuse to do, things I want to see get done, and things I only want done a certain way just so there will be no need for clarification after she's made a mistake. I know I may come off as opinionated and picky when I tell this woman not to use this comb or to turn the heat down on that, or th DROP THE GREASE and not try anything funny,... but its my hair, so it will get done my way. And if they have a problem with it, well I have no problem leaving the salon in the middle of a wash with the cape on and shampoo in my head. I'd swipe some conditioner for consolation too... just so they know they can kiss my :moon:

Last edited:
Title credit to AtlantaJJ in another discussion

Ladies. Why do we go through trial and error to learn what works for our hair? Why are sooo quick to give somebody a mouthful of information about hair? why do we tell our friends what they should or should not be doing to their hair. Give the chick in the BSS a lesson on why that product is whack. Back smack anyone who even looks like they want to touch our hair. We pride ourselves about our knowledege. All these pre-poos, oil rinses, internet orders on hard to find products, paying top $$$ for some damn conditioner. The hair rituals, protective styling, babying, progress pics, fotki maintenance........and so on.

Yet, we go to the salon and get every thing we worked for taken away. We let them chop, over-process, and dictate what we need. We shrink at confronting them, just say in the back of our heads " this is my last visit" while your head is burning from a relaxer.

We need to interview, let them know what you expect and will not tolerate. We pay them, They work for us. We need to bring our own products and not be embarrassed at our rituals. Tell dem **&&* they need to take time to detangle. I dont want one of your patrons/cousins washing the relaxer out of my hair because you need to run to the store. Dont grease my scalp! Let me face the damn mirror! Get off the cell phone! No you cant break when the Chinese food man come! That towel look dirty. And for the last damn time DONT CLIP MY ENDS.

.........or get a pibbs and learn to rollerset yourself.

My mother thinks I'm too rude, when I speak up. I do speak up, but she always gets annoyed. I'm just not going to let any ignorant beautician abuse my hair by overprocessing EVER again. In fact, I'm going to ask everytime before I go to a new one. I'm not dealing with these ladies. If they say they like to put it all over, I'm going to walk right out the door before they feven finish what the say.

Last edited:
Back