WnGoers please come in!

DarkAngell

Natural or texlaxed, it doesn't matter.

Right now i'm texlaxed, but this is one problem i've had being both natural and texlaxed.

Most of my hair forms into an S curl pattern, then towards the ends or half way down, my hair spirals. I've tried alot of products mentioned to get curls to pop and all that. Never tried mixed chicks or miss jessie. I run it under cold water before i get out of the shower. I've tried shingling ( although obviously not with jiss jessie products) It's aggrivating me because while the spirals stay well defined,the S curl part frizzes as it drys. I can never wear it loose. It always has to be put in a pony tail.

I'm trying desperately to get the entire length of my hair to spiral and I'm beginning to think it's method that may need alittle tweaking, and not so much products.

Any advice?? Anyone else have this issue?

ETA: I wasn't like this when i first BCed i guess because it was much shorter? Now that it's gotten longer i've lost my spirals!

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say. I'm wrestling with doing a bc, transition, or staying relaxed. I have pretty spirals but don't want to chop if they're not going to stay.... :(

Determined22

Have you tried the Curly Lola method? I think its a mix of liquid amino acids, baking soda and something else, and I think it helps with getting the spirals to start from the root.

DarkAngell

I'm wondering if maybe it just needs to stay heavily layered. But i would think it would be hard to do without

A) looking like i have a curly mullet
B) loosing length.

DarkAngell

Have you tried the Curly Lola method? I think its a mix of liquid amino acids, baking soda and something else, and I think it helps with getting the spirals to start from the root.

really?? No i haven't tried this! Are there any threads on this?

Whimsy

I'm an avid wash n go -er. but I don't think I can help you. I just moisturize then scrunch with mousse. Maybe use a gel/moisturizer combo on the S curl pattern part? Or maybe use a heavier product? I have no idea.

Soliel185

It sounds like you may need something with more hold to keep your hair from frizzing...do you live in a humid environment?

I think for your hair type mousse would be better than straight gel. Do you airdry loose for your wng? Maybe putting it in some jumbo twists until it's mostly dry will help keep it under control before the air gets to it.

silvergirl

i guess it depends how defined you want it.
for example

here u can see the curls, but their still kinda fuzzy right? ( this is co-wash conditioner rinsed out)

these are both wng dry hair, the one on the left i cant for the life of me remember what i used, but the one on the right is mark anthony conditioner and conditioner lotion.

here you can see just how defined they were when completely dry.

i dont know if i could get the s waves to spirals cause they were never "coils that just happened to hang down" they literally were s waves, an i couldnt get them to change so i just worked with it.

if you've got "coils that just happen to hang down" then im sure some sort of curling pudding may work. otherwise you may manually manipulate them into coils. or work to define the s waves.

DarkAngell

i guess it depends how defined you want it.
for example

here u can see the curls, but their still kinda fuzzy right? ( this is co-wash conditioner rinsed out)

these are both wng dry hair, the one on the left i cant for the life of me remember what i used, but the one on the right is mark anthony conditioner and conditioner lotion.

here you can see just how defined they were when completely dry.

i dont know if i could get the s waves to spirals cause they were never "coils that just happened to hang down" they literally were s waves, an i couldnt get them to change so i just worked with it.

if you've got "coils that just happen to hang down" then im sure some sort of curling pudding may work. otherwise you may manually manipulate them into coils. or work to define the s waves.

Silvergirl Thank you i always loved your hair! this is what im thinkin also. I do have some hair that just s curls all the way down and those i dont worry about. But the other hair, seeing the coils on the bottom makes me think theres gotta be a way to get the whole strand to curl. how exactly do you go about styling your hair? Do you scrunch as well?

Soliel - I will try some mousse and see how it goes. I used to use that and it definately gave good hold on my shorter hair.

MissMeWithThatIsh

Good thread... I'm having the same problem... except on TOP of it, I've texlaxed only to look exactly the same as I do natural... with the SAME shrinkage lol

cutenss

After I wash, apply leave ins to hair and oils to scalp. Depending on the style, I take small sections, go through it with the denman brush. Then I do a two strand twist. The ends automatically curl up. The next day, or once it dry, I just seperate the twists, and then VIOLA curls. I DO NOT comb or brush through after. I am 100% natural with BKT. HTH :yep:

BTW: conditioner is the key

DarkAngell

the denman brush works wonder for detangling my hair however it seems to have an adverse affect on my hair, while most people say it defines their curls, it kinda kills mine! :( I'm definately curious about the cherry lola treatment. I've ordered the amino acids, i'm gonna try it!

Keep the advice coming!

vkb247

My hair only coils on the ends and I think that is just how my hair is because I have experienced this through 2 bc's and different chemical treatments.\

The only thing heavy enough to define all my different textures and give me practically 0 frizz with shiny curls is Ecostyler gel (clear or brown) I use it with Taliah Waajid Bodifier as a leave in (I think that any non creamy leave in - like Scurl spray - will work) and coconut oil. The curls last until my next cowash and all I have to do is wet it slightly in the a.m. to style. I love that it looks great and feels great (not sticky or anything) and I can guarantee the same results everytime.

ETA: It makes my hair look like the hair in my siggy. Just need her length now.