Workout Drama

beespree

Hello Ladies, I'm new to the Board, but I've already learned so much. Please allow me to ask the first of many questions. My hair type is 3B and I prefer to wear it relaxed. It's been shoulder length all my adult life, but I'm hoping that I can use many of the tips I've learned here to grow it a few inches longer. My problem is that I run 3-4 miles most mornings before work and I don't know what to do after my workouts. I usually just blowdry and flat iron my hair after workouts (I know, I use alot of heat--amazingly enough, my hair is in decent condition), so should I now do a conditioner wash, then blowdry and flat iron? (Sheesh, that's alot for a sista to do before work, but I'll do what I gotta do) I want to switch to a roller set, but I'm afraid that one good workout will knock those curls right on out! The only other alternative I can think of is to work out at night, which would give me more time to condition wash, blowdry and wrap. The only problem with working out at night is that I have 3 children under 5 and 5:30 am seems to be the only uninterrupted time I have to workout. Help!! I'm open to any and all suggestions!

It seems as though a lot of women here do conditioner washes, deep condition, apply leave-in and a little oil, and put in a bun to air dry. The upside is that your hair would definitely be moisturized all day and your scalp would be free of all the salty sweat from your workout, but the down side is that it may never dry. Give it a try for at least one day - I don't see how that could hurt at all.
smile.gif

I just do a shampoo or rinse and then wear it back in a bun or loose ponytail. I know that is boring, but my hair loves it. I also feel that I can style my 'healthy' hair for a special occasion quickly...but I can't lose that weight overnight to look good in whatever I choose to wear. It's a trade off for me... the first is easier to do...
smile.gif

I agree with the other ladies. I run about 4 times per week, and on those days, although I do not work but still want to look good, I just put my hair in a bun/two buns. You did mention that it was not every single day that you worked out, so maybe on just those days you can flat iron, or do whatever styling it is you want to do. At least on workout days your hair would get a break from the heat. HTH

I feel your pain and agree with what's been said. I also run several times per week. I'd save the rollersetting/blowdrying for the days you don't work out and wear your hair in a nice bun on the days you run.

pooh123

[ QUOTE ]
I feel your pain and agree with what's been said. I also run several times per week. I'd save the rollersetting/blowdrying for the days you don't work out and wear your hair in a nice bun on the days you run.

pooh123

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I gave up with fighting to do rollarsets after each workout, too tiring and sometimes I wouldn't wash my hair after working out because i wanted to retain that straight hair look but then when I DID wash it 2/3 days later I'd get tonnes of shedding. So I decided to do a conditioner wash and let the hair air dry in a bun (or overnight in 2 pigtails). That's the best solution I made.

On days I don't workout for a while, I go back to the straight hair route. Also, you should find your hair condition actually improves from that nice break of airdrying for a few days straight.

Back