Would glycerin be ok in a deep conditioner?

sparkle25

I live in the Midwest so it's getting cold outside. I tried glycerin while I was starting on my HHJ, but I didn't know what the hell I was doing lol. Since then I have moved on to just detangeling with pre poo in ( V05 and some oil), washing with a loo poo or sulfate free shampoo, using a leave in and deep conditioning.

I don't know much about glycerin I just know that a lot of ladies don't like it because it makes their hair dry and frizzy I'm certain climates ( which I still don't understand) .

I don't wear my natural hair out for the time being. I found a deep conditioner that looks good but it has glycerin. Would this be ok as it's not a leave in? Would I still need to worry about the glycerin in the deep conditioner? Even if I don't wear my natural hair outside of the house? What about with the heating inside my house now that its getting cold?

Thanks ladies :) Sorry for the million questions lately, but if I didn't ask you ladies first I would be lost

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I live in the Midwest so it's getting cold outside. I tried glycerin while I was starting on my HHJ, but I didn't know what the hell I was doing lol. Since then I have moved on to just detangeling with pre poo in ( V05 and some oil), washing with a loo poo or sulfate free shampoo, using a leave in and deep conditioning. I don't know much about glycerin I just know that a lot of ladies don't like it because it makes their hair dry and frizzy I'm certain climates ( which I still don't understand) . I don't wear my natural hair out for the time being. I found a deep conditioner that looks good but it has glycerin. Would this be ok as it's not a leave in? Would I still need to worry about the glycerin in the deep conditioner? Even if I don't wear my natural hair outside of the house? What about with the heating inside my house now that its getting cold? Thanks ladies :) Sorry for the million questions lately, but if I didn't ask you ladies first I would be lost

The dryness is caused by dew points. That's why most don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sparkle25

Yeah I dont understand still. Ill see if what I can find on google later, or hopefully someone can enlighten me

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Yeah I dont understand still. Ill see if what I can find on google later, or hopefully someone can enlighten me

The issue with glycerin is that it is a humectant so it exchanges moisture with the air. When few points are low, it means there isn't much moisture in the air and that's a problem during summer and winter. If you are using glycerin and other humectants, it is going to exchange moisture with the air. If the air is dry, moisture will leave the hair. So when a product has a high amount of glycerin, you can still use it, but you have to use products on top of it to ensure moisture in the hair won't be exchanged with the air.

One person on here told me putting water on top of a product containing glycerin helps. I use butters on top of humectant containing products to keep moisture in. So you can use these products, just understand how they work with your hair AND the environment before you use them.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

KinkyGenius

Oh and I live in the Midwest as well. Humectants in my DC doesn't negatively affect my hair's moisture-retaining abilities. I tend to try to stay away from them in my leave-ins and moisturizers but then again if they're really low on the ingredient list they don't bother me in those things either.

sparkle25

You ladies are gems. Thank you. Ill read that article tonight. :) This is what I am looking at : http://www.hydroquenchsystems.com/botanical-peppermint-coconut-conditioning-repair-mask/

She has another deep conditioner as well and glycerin is the 2nd ingredient in both. Although she has it spelled glycern. Is that a type o or can it be spelled both ways or is it not the same thing?

Would using this be a problem with the heating in my house during the winter? Would it matter if I didn't wear my real hair outside in the winter? I'm tempted to try it, but I always ask the ladies here first before I try something way different. :)