would this be too harsh on my hair if I were to....

LaBelleLL

clarify it, put in Aphogee 2 min reconstructor, wash this out, DC overnight, wash that out and do an ACV rinse to lay down the cuticles of my hair......?

I'm still trying to figure out proper ways of taking care of my hair so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
No that sounds good. I would skip the acv though because I wouldn't want to strip out the moisture of the DC but that's just me. If you want to lay down the cuticles you could just use cold water instead.

panamoni

No that sounds good. I would skip the acv though because I wouldn't want to strip out the moisture of the DC but that's just me. If you want to lay down the cuticles you could just use cold water instead.

I thought that ACV was supposed to close the cuticles, sealing in the moisture from the DC..........

Ronnieaj

I thought that ACV was supposed to close the cuticles, sealing in the moisture from the DC..........

That's how I use it, and I haven't had any dryness issues. However, if you do too high a concentration of acv to water, you will definitely get there. I combine a small shotglass of wheat germ and hemp seed oil to my acv rinse to prevent the dryness, and use it as a final rinse after I DC. I think your plan sounds fine.

Aggie

I agree. It also helps to correct the pH of the hair all at the same time. I usually end my DCing with an ACV rinse or cold water rinse. Both these methods add a healthy looking shine because the cuticles are closed and laying flat, therefore better able to reflect light from them. ACV is also a porosity corrector for hair that's porous. Normally porous hair is chemically altered though.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
ACV is used for clarifying.....I have no idea about it closing cuticles, that's new to me. I use it as a clarifier. I mean it may close the cuticles but it's also gonna remove any product build up you may have.....for me that means removing the moisturizers from the DC so that's why I would skip that step.

Aggie

That's how I use it, and I haven't had any dryness issues. However, if you do too high a concentration of acv to water, you will definitely get there. I combine a small shotglass of wheat germ and hemp seed oil to my acv rinse to prevent the dryness, and use it as a final rinse after I DC. I think your plan sounds fine.

Totally agree. If too much ACV to water is used, it could cause the opposite effect of what it's intended. The ratio should be about 1/2 a cup of ACV to 2 cups of water. This should be gentle enough for most hair types.

Ronnieaj

Totally agree. If too much ACV to water is used, it could cause the opposite effect of what it's intended. The ratio should be about 1/2 a cup of ACV to 2 cups of water. This should be gentle enough for most hair types.

That is the exact concentration I use, and my hair comes out great every time! :grin:

kooskoos

clarify it, put in Aphogee 2 min reconstructor, wash this out, DC overnight, wash that out and do an ACV rinse to lay down the cuticles of my hair......?

I'm still trying to figure out proper ways of taking care of my hair so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds great. I also use ACV after I do my DC. I mix 1 part ACV with 8 parts VERY COLD water. The results are AMAZING!!!!:yep:

Aggie

ACV is used for clarifying.....I have no idea about it closing cuticles, that's new to me. I use it as a clarifier. I mean it may close the cuticles but it's also gonna remove any product build up you may have.....for me that means removing the moisturizers from the DC so that's why I would skip that step.

Agreed Pokahontas with ACV being a clarifyer but it has many other uses and benefits as well. The outer layer of the hair, the cuticle, covers the hair shaft and protects it like the bark on a tree. The cuticle is made of overlapping layers of long scales that lie along the surface of the hair like shingles on a roof. It is the condition of the cuticle scales that determines whether you are going to have a bad hair day. When the cuticle is in good shape, is unbroken, and lies flat, your hair has a smooth appearance. When the layers of the cuticle are tightly knit together, the light is able to reflect off the cuticle. This is what makes hair shine! The cuticle opens when we shampoo our hair. When the cuticle layers are open and not knit together, the hair will feel rough, coarse and brittle. The hair will absorb the light rather than reflect it, which gives the appearance of dull and lifeless hair.

Vinegar removes scaly build-up and residue from hair shafts and closes the cuticles. Since residue coats the hair causing it to look dull, removing residue gives your hair more shine. By closing the cuticles, the hair slides more easily and there will be fewer tangles. It is best to make the ACV rinses with cold water to aid in this process of the cuticles closing.[/FONT]

LaBelleLL

Agreed Pokahontas with ACV being a clarifyer but it has many other uses and benefits as well. The outer layer of the hair, the cuticle, covers the hair shaft and protects it like the bark on a tree. The cuticle is made of overlapping layers of long scales that lie along the surface of the hair like shingles on a roof. It is the condition of the cuticle scales that determines whether you are going to have a bad hair day. When the cuticle is in good shape, is unbroken, and lies flat, your hair has a smooth appearance. When the layers of the cuticle are tightly knit together, the light is able to reflect off the cuticle. This is what makes hair shine! The cuticle opens when we shampoo our hair. When the cuticle layers are open and not knit together, the hair will feel rough, coarse and brittle. The hair will absorb the light rather than reflect it, which gives the appearance of dull and lifeless hair.

Vinegar removes scaly build-up and residue from hair shafts and closes the cuticles. Since residue coats the hair causing it to look dull, removing residue gives your hair more shine. By closing the cuticles, the hair slides more easily and there will be fewer tangles. It is best to make the ACV rinses with cold water to aid in this process of the cuticles closing.[/FONT]

So....would my DC treatment be inside of my hair right before i'd do an ACV rinse or outside or be some kind of residue that the ACV rinse would take away?

Also, would it be ok to put a little coconut oil in the hair after an ACV rinse?

Aggie

So....would my DC treatment be inside of my hair right before i'd do an ACV rinse or outside or be some kind of residue that the ACV rinse would take away?

Also, would it be ok to put a little coconut oil in the hair after an ACV rinse?

Okay, shampooing the hair opens up the cuticles, (and we all know that shampooing is done with warm water), after washing it out, add the DC while the cuticles are still opened, deep condition as normal, wash out with cold water, followed by a mild ACV rinse to further seal and close the cuticles. The benefits of the DC will not be removed because the cuticles are already closed with it sealed in and the ACV rinse is simply adding more shine to it, correcting the porosity if needed, and helping in sealing up the cuticles more, hence the shine.

Now on the flip side of the coin, one can use the ACV rinse another way and that is to apply it immediately following the shampoo as a clarifyer while the cuticle is still opened to help remove buildup, but before the DC. (I don't use it this way, because I use an actual clarifying shampoo). If you would like, you can have an even milder ACV rinse to spritz on your hair once the DC is finished for added shine. Hope that helps and makes sense to you.

ETA: Missed your last question - the answer is yes, you can use coconut oil after the ACV rinse. It is one of the only natural oils that the hair actually absorb because of it's molecular structure. I myself use it for sealing in moisture in my hair.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

Thanks for the info. I would still never use it in that order but that's just my opinion. My view is that vinegar works to remove build-up from shampoo, conditioner, styling products, etc. so I feel that it will be removing something from my hair after I DC so rather than risk loosing anything I won't go that route, I want to make sure I keep all my moisture. I choose to use the vinegar after shampooing and before conditioning. Buuuuut.....that's just me:grin:.

Aggie

Thanks for the info. I would still never use it in that order but that's just my opinion. My view is that vinegar works to remove build-up from shampoo, conditioner, styling products, etc. so I feel that it will be removing something from my hair after I DC so rather than risk loosing anything I won't go that route, I want to make sure I keep all my moisture. I choose to use the vinegar after shampooing and before conditioning. Buuuuut.....that's just me:grin:.

Absolutely Pokahontas and that is why so many things work differently for different people. Some people believe that DCing on dry hair gives them better results than on wet hair, some believe that they should use leave ins, others don't, and I understand that it's not a one size fit all when it comes to hair. I just thought I'd share my little knowledge on ACV.

I try things different wwys to see what my hair likes and when I find it, I stick with it no matter what other people's experiences are like:grin:, so I totally understand your stance:yep:.