Would you take a pill to convert your relaxed hair into natural hair?

Mizani_Mrs

If there was a new miracle pill OR a miracle 'de-relaxer', would you take it to convert the length of your hair to its natural state? I guess the question really boils down to how many relaxed heads really wanna be natural, but you aren't because you don't want to loose your length and start from scratch? I would go for it. I love natural hair just as much as i love relaxed hair, BUT my first love is long hair which is why i probably wont ever go natural...

OK, no i am not on drugs...i just have alot of time on my hands tonite. I was just posting in another thread and a thought came to my mind.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I would be pissed off to the highest level of pissidivity if such a pill was invented after I spent a year transitioning and then cutting!!!!! :evil:

My answer a year ago would have been yes, cuz my hair would have been almost twice as long by now.

myco

You're not on drugs. I think about it all the time. If I could go straight to natural without losing any length, I would so do it. The urge is usually the worst around week 10 or 11, when I've been playing in my newgrowth all day.

I need hair and length around this round face.

MizaniMami

Being honest, sometimes I would.

The only reason why I am not going natural as of now is because I want length. That would require me to cut off my hair. If I can have long BSL natural hair, even with shrinkage I would be so in love. I just want length relaxed or natural.

Then again, I love being relaxed. It's not like I want to be natural sooo bad but I can't. I could stop relaxing if I wanted to. I make that choice to relax it every 3 mos.

So in a sense, no. Because being honest, if I really wanted to be natural so bad I would quit relaxing. I am just in love with the straight/silky look that is associated with relaxing, simply put.

KiniKakes

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES. *sigh* I wish such a miracle pill were invented..... I love natural hair and regret the day I ever put a relaxer to it. But now its too fargone, and I dont want to lose my length. :ohwell:

PaperClip

First of all, the thought to take a pill to straighten my hair is an insult because depending on how I might feel that day, I might think that this implies that my curly/coily natural hair is not "good" enough....

Secondly, I'm already cautious of taking medicine or pills of any kind anyway, esp. after the Tuskegee Experiment....

Yeah, it's been that kinda day....

Fight the power!

KiniKakes

RelaxerRehab said:
First of all, the thought to take a pill to straighten my hair is an insult because depending on how I might feel that day, I might think that this implies that my curly/coily natural hair is not "good" enough....

Secondly, I'm already cautious of taking medicine or pills of any kind anyway, esp. after the Tuskegee Experiment....

Fight the power!

I think you may have misunderstood the question......:confused: The post is asking ladies who are already relaxed if they would take a pill to get back their original natural hair, if such a "magic pill" existed.

I think those of us in here who answered "yes" would agree with you, that we love natural hair in all its kinky/curly/coily glory..... and that we would love to get it back, but without having to lose the length that we've achieved. :)

MysTori

Just as quick as they put it on the shelf, I would have one in my hands!;)
Eventually, I will grow the relaxed hair out b/c I yearn for natural hair. I just can't get past the big chop just yet. I know, I know. I'm a work in progress.:cool:

Mizani_Mrs

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: toooooooo funny. i feel you girl...

JCoily said:
I would be pissed off to the highest level of pissidivity if such a pill was invented after I spent a year transitioning and then cutting!!!!! :evil:

My answer a year ago would have been yes, cuz my hair would have been almost twice as long by now.

so1913

JCoily said:

Hee hee!!!

Country gal

I think the pill is a bad idea. There are women who want natural hair but have a relaxed mind. I like transitioning and learning my natural hair. If women with relaxed hair could easily get natural hair from a pill than I am afraid they would get frustrated with their hair. Having bra strap relaxed hair is very easy compared to bra strap natural.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
JCoily said:

I'm witcha on that one!

Denim And Leather

Nope. I prefer the touch, feel and managebility of my hair relaxed. At the same time though, had I known then what I know now about relaxing my hair, having gone through the things I went through in my youth with my damaged relaxed hair, I would not have asked my parents for a relaxer in the first place.

Last edited:

amara11

RelaxerRehab said:

Fight the power!

Yeah, bump to KiniKakes, relaxerrehab- i think you completely misunderstood the question....

Cichelle

I'm with JCoily on this one. I transitioned for 14 months and then cut off what amounts to nearly 2 years of growth. So, if a pill like that came out, I'd be cursing up a storm. Hell yeah, I would have taken it if it existed when I wanted to go natural!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I wouldn't take such a pill, for the same reasons I wouldn't take the other one. I would definately wonder what the heck is in it that could do such a thing? I'd rather BC, which my mind has been 2stepping around w/lately.

Mizani_Mrs

Oh live a little!!! Who cares if you end up looking like Fire Marshall Bill (from In Living Color)..... :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I wouldn't take such a pill, for the same reasons I wouldn't take the other one. I would definately wonder what the heck is in it that could do such a thing? I'd rather BC, which my mind has been 2stepping around w/lately.

Sistaslick

My first thought was yes, yes YES! :clap:

But this is really a deep question. Its kind of like taking a pill to become the parent of a 3 year old while skipping the pregnancy part and the first 3 years of life. :lol: Like with the kid, you are starting from scratch with a head of hair that you more than likely know absolutely nothing about. You haven't learned its ways, likes/dislikes, or grown accustomed to it-- and thats what the transition (the pregnancy :lol: ) and first few years of nappy life would have given you. To me, you really can't replace that. Like CG said, that same relaxed mindset is still going to be there without the help of the transition and growing out processes. You can't just translate your relaxed brastrap length regimen on over to your brastrap length natural hair with no adjustments made at all. Just like you can't really go from being childless to having a 3 year old and expect it to be a-okay. You have the prize, but you haven't really earned it I guess. The processes, both physical and mental, and time all matter in some way.

If there were a pill that took all of that into consideration, without the crazy side effects most pills have (nausea, vomitting, blindness, heart failure, coma, death :lol: ) I'd definitely see what its about! :yep:

Tru_Mind

Hell yes! I would have loved to just take a pill and be natural. I would have been natural a long time ago.

I need a pill to re-condition my scalp...relaxers messed it up. I used to let the relaxer sit on my scalp(relaxers didn't burn...well they didn't burn anymore). I just don't know what to do, take, or use to treat my scalp.

Ok, I need to do a tread, because I need some help.

-tru

Sistaslick

Mizani_Mrs said:
Oh live a little!!! Who cares if you end up looking like Fire Marshall Bill (from In Living Color)..... :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

*in best fire marshall bill voice*
Lemme tell you sumthin' !!!!

buahhahaaa :lachen: :grin: :lol: :lol: :lachen:

secretdiamond

It's funny that this thread was started b/c I was thinking about my natural hair just this afternoon & how it would be great if I could just wake up with natural hair, just as easy as it is to be a natural and decide to have straight hair with a relaxer. I always daydream about how I would take care of my natural hair & the regimen I would have for it.

PaperClip

KiniKakes said:
I think you may have misunderstood the question......:confused: The post is asking ladies who are already relaxed if they would take a pill to get back their original natural hair, if such a "magic pill" existed.

I think those of us in here who answered "yes" would agree with you, that we love natural hair in all its kinky/curly/coily glory..... and that we would love to get it back, but without having to lose the length that we've achieved. :)

Wow.... I really misread that question.... Ok... I'm going to bed now....:ohwell:

so1913

Sistaslick said:
My first thought was yes, yes YES! :clap:

But this is really a deep question. Its kind of like taking a pill to become the parent of a 3 year old while skipping the pregnancy part and the first 3 years of life. :lol: Like with the kid, you are starting from scratch with a head of hair that you more than likely know absolutely nothing about. You haven't learned its ways, likes/dislikes, or grown accustomed to it-- and thats what the transition (the pregnancy :lol: ) and first few years of nappy life would have given you. To me, you really can't replace that. Like CG said, that same relaxed mindset is still going to be there without the help of the transition and growing out processes. You can't just translate your relaxed brastrap length regimen on over to your brastrap length natural hair with no adjustments made at all. Just like you can't really go from being childless to having a 3 year old and expect it to be a-okay. You have the prize, but you haven't really earned it I guess. The processes, both physical and mental, and time all matter in some way.

If there were a pill that took all of that into consideration, without the crazy side effects most pills have (nausea, vomitting, blindness, heart failure, coma, death :lol: ) I'd definitely see what its about! :yep:

VERY well said :)

MzTami

Hellerrrr

hopeful

Wow, great points made all around. I was thinking if someone has bra-strap length hair and it magically became natural, then on most days many people would still be losing a LOT of length due to shrinkage. So they would probably go to shoulder-length or even shorter so they would probably still feel frustrated and like they had still lost a lot of length. And oh my goodness, the difference in time and technique when detangling relaxed vs. natural hair.

I guess I think a lot of people would still not be happy. Now maybe if there was a pill that got rid of shrinkage...but then again what would happen to all those coils that everybody loves because those pretty coils and kinks = shrinkage, right? And wouldn't some people go crazy when it takes an hour or more to detangle? And switching hair styles is no longer a five minute proposition. Okay, I want to wear a twist out, so let me quickly take out these 60 long twists, uhm, 1 1/2 hours later I'm ready to go. How about a 5-hour box braid session...

mscounselor

I'd have to say no. I know people who have gone natural and didn't learn how to manage their hair. Now they are struggling.
I'd rather struggle and learn then to have hair that I have no idea what to do with it.