Would you Transition to Natural if...

dede1129

You primarily wore you hair straight????

Here's my dilemna I am in the Army so I cannot wear alot of curly styles that I would love to because my hair must be low key and basically neat and professional. So bunning is what almost everyone at my job does. However, during my transition(29 weeks post) I have attempted to do my braidouts and transitioning styles but I have been limited to styles that can be pinned up and flattened. Then I realized that all throughout my transition I have attempted to maintain my straight hair by flat ironing biweekly and blowdrying which could cause further damage. Long story short I like straight hair so should I continue to transition or just relax/texlax? I have seen many healthy relaxed heads of hair and also natural as well so I am confused:spinning:.

My primary for transitioning was because I had years of damaged relaxed hair:wallbash: so should I just attempt to have healthy relaxed hair instead of attempting to transition to natural with straight hair and end up damaging it?

HELP!

SignatureBeauty

I have no advice but can understand being confused all this hair on here is Beautiful, Relaxed,Natural & Texlaxed. I am sure someone will chime in!!

BUMPBUMP

ceebee3

I think it depends on why you are transitioning. Do you not want to have chemically treated hair anymore or were you just not satisfied with your relaxed hair?

If you still want to be relaxed then no need to continue your transition.

BlaqBella

Idk OP...hopefully you'll get the advice you're seeking. I felt this way (almost) in Mar.08'
when i found this forum. And i can understand the styling issues since i work in an office.
But i'm glad i went natural. When i think back to being natural until 13 my mom pressed my hair sporadically and styles in between time consisted of corn rows and ponytails.
When she relaxed it in the 8th gr. i was allowed to wear braidouts from time to time.
I know how you feel though about possibly losing a lot of progress from damage with either choice made relaxed/natural.I hope you can make the right decision for yourself. I did. Best wishes.

nissi

I transitioned and then was natural for three years, I eventually went back to relaxed because for me it was healthier to relax and keep up my rollersets, than to press and straighten weekly (because my hair would revert) ... It really depends on your lifestyle and what works best for you... HTH! HHG!

JaszyFaye

I think it depends on why you are transitioning. Do you not want to have chemically treated hair anymore or were you just not satisfied with your relaxed hair?

^^ co-sign. I think it all depends on why you are transitioning. I decided to go natural because the chemicals were too much for my hair and the last relaxer I got gave me a bald spot the size of a 50 cent piece so I threw in the towel. Once I was natural after a year once my hair grew to SL I got my hair pressed religiously every 2 weeks.

BostonMaria

When you have natural hair you can pretty much do whatever you want. I transitioned to natural to do wash and go's, but I mostly rollerset and leave my hair somewhat straight (see my avatar & siggie).

I would play it by ear honestly. I'm pretty sure you can get away with a curly ponytail or a sleek bun in the military (not speaking from experience, just what I see my cousin in the Navy does). If you decide to only wear it straight I would just make sure to follow healthy hair practices and do your own hair.

Ms Lala

Personally I would relax or texlax if I wanted to wear my hair straight. It would be very frustrating trying to keep my hair texture straight all the time. I have natural friends that wear their hair straight 99% of the time w/o issues but I like the versatility of being natural. Plus I like to exercise and think straightening would be pointless for me.

classychic1908

If it were me, I would transition, because I try to avoid chemicals when possible. I know many people who have healthy beautiful natural hair that use heat regularly. Have you checked out the straight haired naturals thread? I'm sure there would be some great info and advice.

Also as a natural you may be surprised about the versatility of your hair. If you bun for work, 3C natural hair should be able to be bunned quite sleek without too much of a hassle.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kneechay

I would only transition to natural if I have completely let go of wearing my hair straight ALL or most of the time.

That is my mantra about this 'lifestyle'.

I think going natural is a mindset and if you want to wear your hair straight all the time, you will be stuck flat ironing all the time or manipulating your hair so much to keep it straight, which can in turn, lead to damage.

I always am on the side of urging others to go natural, because I am, and i know the benefits of it all, but if their lifestyle & mindset can't handle it, then perhaps not. If you honestly feel you can take care of it as a natural and maintain the health, then go for it.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Are you not able to put twists or even a twistout into a bun?

I know nothing really about military styles so I'm guessing if you can't do the above I guess you will need to relax your hair. Sounds crazy to me though truthfully.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Ps - to answer your question, yes I am transitioning. I'm maybe 16 months post. A few years ago I would straighten my relaxed hair every week.

Nasdaq_Diva

Im in the Army too. Like others said, figure out your real reasons for going natural. It seems like you have the mindset of relaxed hair. For me, being natural is the only way to go for me. I, unlike you have no desire for straightened hair.

Why do you feel the need to straighten your hair so much? It's summer! With all the PT you're doing..I mean really, what's the point? Have you considered braiding/twisting your hair into a bun? How about flat twists as a protective style? There is so much more to being in "Army standard" when it comes to hairstyling than just pulling it back into a boneslick bun.

dede1129

Are you not able to put twists or even a twistout into a bun?

I know nothing really about military styles so I'm guessing if you can't do the above I guess you will need to relax your hair. Sounds crazy to me though truthfully.

We are not allowed to have twist in our hair because they consider that boderline dreads. some people who do not have our texture of hair dont understand the difference and unfortunately put it all in the same category.

Your Cheeziness

As an Army (Reserves) Vet, I understand your dilemma that others may not get. For anyone who doesn't know, you simply cannot wear big hair. It won't fit under your headgear and it must be above the bottom of your collar at all times. No one cares if you want to go chemical free, no one cares that you want to know your true texture. You best be in uniform is all they care about. It's so important that she will get disciplined if she's consistently out of uniform. And what's sad is that no matter how determined you are to be natural, that lifestyle and requirements can make it difficult for a natural who wants to grow her hair out.

Now, OP, are you into braided styles? That can keep your hair tame to where you can fit it under your headgear. I wore box braids for a while down range and I was really pushing it keeping my braids in uniform. But if you do it just on your hair then it may not be as big. NaturallyObsessed.onsugar.com is one of my fav natural blogs. She's in mini braids right now that you could rock once you do decide to BC.

Nasdaq_Diva

We are not allowed to have twist in our hair because they consider that boderline dreads. some people who do not have our texture of hair dont understand the difference and unfortunately put it all in the same category.
Where are you stationed? I've never had a problem with wearing my natural hair (or synthetic) in twists. If you must, pull out the regulation handbook and explain to them the difference between 'dreads'.

Anyway, I had a thread up in another forum and the same question by me was raised. This is the response I got. Made since, and I followed through!

here's what the AR says, and yes twists are permitted. (Note that they used the word "twists" when trying to "define" a Dreadlock); also make sure that any of you who challenge/may be challenged review and know the definition of "unkempt". Hoooah!

Female soldiers will ensure their hair is neatly groomed, that the length and bulk of the hair are not excessive, and that the hair does not present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. Likewise, trendy styles that result in shaved portions of the scalp (other than the neckline) or designs cut into the hair are prohibited. Females may wear braids and cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative, the braids and cornrows lie snugly on the head, and any holding devices comply with the standards. Dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted individual parts of hair) are prohibited in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair will not fall over the eyebrows or extend below the bottom edge of the collar at any time during normal activity or when standing in formation. Long hair that falls naturally below the bottom edge of the collar, to include braids, will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned, so no free-hanging hair is visible. This includes styles worn with the improved physical fitness uniform (IPFU).

Styles that are lopsided or distinctly unbalanced are prohibited. Ponytails, pigtails, or braids that are not secured to the head (allowing hair to hang freely), widely spaced individual hanging locks, and other extreme styles that protrude from the head are prohibited. Extensions, weaves, wigs, and hairpieces are authorized only if these additions have the same general appearance as the individual’s natural hair. Additionally, any wigs, extensions, hairpieces, or weaves must comply with grooming policies.

Females will ensure that hairstyles do not interfere with proper wear of military headgear, protective masks, or equipment at any time. When headgear is worn, the hair will not extend below the bottom edge of the front of the headgear or below the bottom edge of the collar.

Your Cheeziness

You know...somebody should make a Military hairstyle support thread or something. I think there are vets and current enlisted who could use styling advice. I HATED wearing a bun. It was either a bun or a french braid. bleh

Your Cheeziness

Where are you stationed? I've never had a problem with wearing my natural hair (or synthetic) in twists. If you must, pull out the regulation handbook and explain to them the difference between 'dreads'.

Anyway, I had a thread up in another forum and the same question by me was raised. This is the response I got. Made since, and I followed through!

here's what the AR says, and yes twists are permitted. (Note that they used the word "twists" when trying to "define" a Dreadlock); also make sure that any of you who challenge/may be challenged review and know the definition of "unkempt". Hoooah!

Female soldiers will ensure their hair is neatly groomed, that the length and bulk of the hair are not excessive, and that the hair does not present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. Likewise, trendy styles that result in shaved portions of the scalp (other than the neckline) or designs cut into the hair are prohibited. Females may wear braids and cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative, the braids and cornrows lie snugly on the head, and any holding devices comply with the standards. Dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted individual parts of hair) are prohibited in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair will not fall over the eyebrows or extend below the bottom edge of the collar at any time during normal activity or when standing in formation. Long hair that falls naturally below the bottom edge of the collar, to include braids, will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned, so no free-hanging hair is visible. This includes styles worn with the improved physical fitness uniform (IPFU).

Styles that are lopsided or distinctly unbalanced are prohibited. Ponytails, pigtails, or braids that are not secured to the head (allowing hair to hang freely), widely spaced individual hanging locks, and other extreme styles that protrude from the head are prohibited. Extensions, weaves, wigs, and hairpieces are authorized only if these additions have the same general appearance as the individual’s natural hair. Additionally, any wigs, extensions, hairpieces, or weaves must comply with grooming policies.

Females will ensure that hairstyles do not interfere with proper wear of military headgear, protective masks, or equipment at any time. When headgear is worn, the hair will not extend below the bottom edge of the front of the headgear or below the bottom edge of the collar.

You know they got a sista to write this AR right? :lachen:

dede1129

As an Army (Reserves) Vet, I understand your dilemma that others may not get. For anyone who doesn't know, you simply cannot wear big hair. It won't fit under your headgear and it must be above the bottom of your collar at all times. No one cares if you want to go chemical free, no one cares that you want to know your true texture. You best be in uniform is all they care about. It's so important that she will get disciplined if she's consistently out of uniform. And what's sad is that no matter how determined you are to be natural, that lifestyle and requirements can make it difficult for a natural who wants to grow her hair out.

Now, OP, are you into braided styles? That can keep your hair tame to where you can fit it under your headgear. I wore box braids for a while down range and I was really pushing it keeping my braids in uniform. But if you do it just on your hair then it may not be as big. NaturallyObsessed.onsugar.com is one of my fav natural blogs. She's in mini braids right now that you could rock once you do decide to BC.

I am Glad you understand my Dilemna:yep:. I was in braids all last year while I was pregnant and it was good but it did a number on my edges and I did not even consider my braids tight but my hair is too fine around my edges to keep braids in my hair for some reason. Now that my edges have grown back in I dont wanna risk losing them again but trust me I seriously was thinking about braiding my hair for the summer to help me get through this part of the transition.

Your Cheeziness

Hmmm, I know you can do this and make it work. :yep: Do you know any naturals on your base? I'd stop one of them and ask them what they do. Or maybe a salon in the area you know services Soldiers? What about flat twists in the front and then a puff at the back. I think that's the hardest part, finding a style that gets you under headgear on the sides. Also, I'd look at the transitioning without a bc support thread and youtube for protective styles. You may draw some ideas from there on styling your hair within regs.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Depending on the thickness of your hair, it may be better to just stay relaxed.

The amount of heat it took to get my hair straight vs the amount of time it took to revert just wasn't worth it.

That said, after I make my goal of donating 10 inches of hair to Locks of Love, I will probably go natural again and heat training my hair will definitely be part of the regimen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW - there is no 'right' way to transition or be natural and there is no pre-ordained mindset that is necessary. If you want to give up relaxers, give it up on your terms in the easiest possible way for you to live with your hair.

Nasdaq_Diva

:lachen::lachen:I am cracking up that you brought out the Reg for this one! I am stationed in California where we train soldiers so they are a little more strict on appearances since we have privates around.

Why you cracking up :ohwell:

I'm trying to help you find ways around opting out of constantly straightening or relaxing your hair just to fit into the 'standard' All I'm saying is, if you really want to stay natural do it. I'm posting the AR to remind you of what the real standard is and how to apply it to your current hair situation..

Twists do not = unkempt. Unkempt means unable to comb.

eta: Hooah!

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Ok, i see. It still just sounds nuts that you can't be natural and in the military. I mean, i understand the need to have a certain look but it's like, dang, it's the hair that grows out of our head you know? Obviously i know you can be a natural but my point is that it sounds quite challenging to do so.

Bun Mistress

I know that everyone has already said their piece but I wanna chime in anyway. So I stopped getting perms b/c I had one damage my hair to the point where I had a bald spot. After months of trying to do flat twists and braid out I have now resigned to the fact that I do better with heat stretched hair. I blow dry now using the tension method to get the hair about 80% dry then a swipe of a paddle brush once per section. I was doing this every two weeks. I'm now trying to go 3 to 4 weeks but braiding my hair inbetween.

Long story short. No. I wouldn't just relax b/c you want straigth hair. I have 4b hair that I can keep healthy and straight (or staight-ish).

Your Cheeziness

Why you cracking up :ohwell:

I'm trying to help you find ways around opting out of constantly straightening or relaxing your hair just to fit into the 'standard' All I'm saying is, if you really want to stay natural do it. I'm posting the AR to remind you of what the real standard is and how to apply it to your current hair situation..

Twists do not = unkempt. Unkempt means unable to comb.

eta: Hooah!

I don't think that was an insult. :nono: I see the humor in it. I think we all agree by you posting the AR actually helps others understand the limitations women have with styling. :yep:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
yes. for the majority of my transition, i wore my hair straight. when i tried to do -out styles (bantu, braid, twist) the knots and tangles were disastrous. besides, it was just easier to manage both textures if they were both straight. there was no way to get my relaxed hair to act as my natural growth so i straightened it. made life a lot easier. ♥