Wrap Instructions with pics?

RainbowCurls

OK, this evening I spent about 20 mins after washing my hair wrangling with my hair, a brush, a comb, and hair grips trying to wrap it. Then gave up.
I've done a seach, and I attemted to follow instructions, but I am pretty uncoordinated. All the links to picture instructions are dead or the member no longer has them in their album.

So... does anyone have instuctions with pics of how to wrap your hair (to straighten)?

I know that Beyondcute had one tutorial , I don't know if it's still working, and Khandi had one too!

Hey girl,

I have a sneaky suspicion that ur not getting many replies cos quite a number of people here DO NOT wrap their hair any more. It's said to damage hair quite a bit and most people do protective styling.

If you def wanna wrap your hair, i suggest you put some oil on your scalp, comb your hair around your head, secure wrapped hair with hair pins and tie down with silk scarf, before going to bed. By the morning your hair will come out silky straight.

Hope this helps:lachen:

Henrietta said:
Hey girl,

I have a sneaky suspicion that ur not getting many replies cos quite a number of people here DO NOT wrap their hair any more. It's said to damage hair quite a bit and most people do protective styling.

If you def wanna wrap your hair, i suggest you put some oil on your scalp, comb your hair around your head, secure wrapped hair with hair pins and tie down with silk scarf, before going to bed. By the morning your hair will come out silky straight.

Hope this helps:lachen:
I agree. KhandiB has pics of a crosswrap in her fotki. I think its supposed to be better on your hair than the regular wrap.:)

Thanks everyone, I didn't know it damaged hair so much :ohwell:
I read a few posts that said wrapping in the same direction causes thinning over time though.

I checked out KhandiB's tutoral... but not sure if it'd work on my hair. When I bring the hair round to the other side of my head it puffs up at the crown and I just can't get that section smooth.
Henrietta, I tried to comb my hair round my head, but it kept catching bits from I'd previously combed, IYSWIM, and raised them up and just caused tangles.

I'm just looking for something I can do in the winter except freeze my head by CO washing every morning, or wearing a bandana when I can't face CO washing every morning.

Plus, my curls are looking a bit bizzare lately due to suspected silica straightening :mad:, so maybe straight styles are the way to go, at least for now. But I'm trying to avoid the flat iron. I don't think it'd be too good for my hair after the recent double bleaching...

Have you try to band your hair like Pokahontas ? (may be you should check her fotki)!

I banded some parts of my hair when I attempted a rollerset but ran out of rollers.* I think they turned out OK. But I'm scared all the rubber bands would be too harsh on my hair.

If I can get some gigantic rollers I could try rollersetting again. The ones I have are too small for my hair length.

* From this thread I probably sounds pretty incompetent at hair styling :lol:

I had no idea wrapping was a bad thing...since I tried out my new Sedu flat iron last night I wrapped my hair up to keep it nice and straight. And put it under a silk scarf.

I do try to alternate which side a start the wrap on depending on the say and also no heat besides the initial flat ironing. (I may cheat once or twice hehehe)

But seriously how should I protect my hair when it's in the flat ironed style? I plan on keeping this up for at least 2 more weeks maybe even 4.

Lol girl (@ perfectdoak)
Seems like your hair is staging a rebellion...i'm curious as to what type of hair you have...as this may affects the way it turns out??..

That being said, when you wrap and the tips seem to be sticking out, thats when they need to be pinned down and oiled before continueing with the wrapping.

Really wish i could explain more...
It might be an idea to check out the other methods of wrapping hair mentioned. I'm all for any hair stye that wont damage your hair.

I don't think wrapping is bad for the hair. That was my signature style for a long time and I had no problems with thinning. I think the thinning comes from overbrushing and overcombing the wrap.

PD, if you start your wrap from the crown and then work your way down you shouldn't get that big puff at the crown. Also don't try to wrap your hair all at once. Wrap it in sections. Start in the front with a middle part and from the crown wrap around until you get to the ears. Make sure to hold the crown area down with one hand to keep it from coming up. You may want to detangle a little bit before you start wrapping again. Now go from the ear to the center back area, always starting at the crown and working your way down while wraping around. Next do the center back to the ear and finish from the ear to the middle were you first began. The trick is to keep all areas detangled before you wrap so you don't have to keep going over those areas again and again. I think I will call this the 4 section wrap. I hope I didn't confuse you. I may need to post a tutorial in my album as I haven't done one in a while.

Please post a tutorial. You gave me this advice months ago and I have been having successful wraps ever since. Thank you.

Back