Wrap Sensitive??

pattyr5

I was wondering if this happens to any of you ladies...does your scalp hurt when you wrap your hair? I am texlaxed at the roots and I really rely on wrapping my hair after a rollerset and at night to get my hair smooth and flat...but there is just one thing... No matter how I wrap my hair I end up feeling sore on one side of my scalp which is usually up front in the direction that I wrap the hair. I have tried alternating the direction, I've changed the pins, tried wrapping without the pins....nothing works. :perplexed Does this happen to anyone else?? What are my alternatives to getting my hair smooth without having to use heat?? Any ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:

bimtheduck

Yeah I get a little tender at my temples sometimes. I've started wrapping just occasionly to avoide breakage or thining at my temples.

a_shoe_6307

YES! I thought I was the only one, but wrapping makes my head tender. Actually very tender in the same two spots everytime I would wrap. After that I pretty much just stopped doing it.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
wrapping doesn't make my scalp tender but i pull out too much hair while trying to wrap, so wrap are a no no for me.... maybe you're wrapping too tight

Tiffanyantt

Thank you God! I'm not crazy either...lol I get this too...tender at the temples when i wrap but it's only when I'm about 4 weeks post or more.

pattyr5

wrapping doesn't make my scalp tender but i pull out too much hair while trying to wrap, so wrap are a no no for me.... maybe you're wrapping too tight

I thought the same thing also but it still happens after I tried to loosen it up. I get a decent result by just doing a ponytail, but I get a bump from the bad or scrunchie.

pattyr5

Thank you God! I'm not crazy either...lol I get this too...tender at the temples when i wrap but it's only when I'm about 4 weeks post or more.

Hmmm, that's interesting......I'm 4 weeks post and it did not happen the last couple of wraps....I'm gonna have to pay attention to this the next time I relax.

bimtheduck

A few weeks ago I saw something on one of the threads about cross wrapping. I need to try it out. Well, find out how to do it first I guess.

McQuay30

I am so happy this thread came about because I get the same thing, so i have decided to stop wrapping because it does not seem like it will be something healthy with a tender spot on the temple.

mzsophisticated26

Yes I get little sore spots at my nape,in the front by my widows peak and the top of my head. I just thought my head was just tender from combing

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'm pretty wrap sensitive too...I don't get sore at my temples, but always at this one spot in the front of my head. And my left side has thinned out alot because I used to wrap in the same direction every night for almost a year.

But I find that I can get smooth edges and silky ends by doing a mohawk rollerset thingy. I found it on here..let me see if I can find it again. Okay, I can't...there are references to it, but there was one thread with actual pictures, and I can't find it. :wallbash:

But basically, you section your hair into pieces, depending on how big your rollers are and how much curl you want. Then, you pull the sections to the center of your head, put it on a roller, and clip it down. And you just keep on doing that until all your hair is rolled up. When you're done, it should be like....a mohawk made of rollers. You can tie with a scarf and go to sleep (or if you baggy, you can put a shower cap over it) and in the morning, you'll have flat roots and smooth ends. It's pretty comfortable, because the sides of your head have no rollers on them, so you can sleep.

The only thing is that if you are a back sleeper, or even a wild sleeper, this might not work, because it would be uncomfortable or you could knock the rollers out. Or maybe you can try with sponge rollers and end papers, which would probably be more secure/comfortable for wild sleepers and back sleepers.

Good luck!

sheedahp

I'm pretty wrap sensitive too...I don't get sore at my temples, but always at this one spot in the front of my head. And my left side has thinned out alot because I used to wrap in the same direction every night for almost a year.

But I find that I can get smooth edges and silky ends by doing a mohawk rollerset thingy. I found it on here..let me see if I can find it again. Okay, I can't...there are references to it, but there was one thread with actual pictures, and I can't find it. :wallbash:

But basically, you section your hair into pieces, depending on how big your rollers are and how much curl you want. Then, you pull the sections to the center of your head, put it on a roller, and clip it down. And you just keep on doing that until all your hair is rolled up. When you're done, it should be like....a mohawk made of rollers. You can tie with a scarf and go to sleep (or if you baggy, you can put a shower cap over it) and in the morning, you'll have flat roots and smooth ends. It's pretty comfortable, because the sides of your head have no rollers on them, so you can sleep.

The only thing is that if you are a back sleeper, or even a wild sleeper, this might not work, because it would be uncomfortable or you could knock the rollers out. Or maybe you can try with sponge rollers and end papers, which would probably be more secure/comfortable for wild sleepers and back sleepers.

Good luck!
So how do you style the sides of you hair?

sheedahp

Yes I get this problem and my edges have thinned out so bad and are damaged I believe from wrapping so I occasionally wrap but not too tight and I mostly cross wrap. I have to stretch relaxers to give my edges a chance to grow back in.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
So how do you style the sides of you hair?

You can style it normally. Like if you bun, then you just put your hair in a bun. Or if you want to wear it out, you can do that too.

When I take mine down, it looks like it would had I tied my hair into a ponytail and then put the ponytail on one roller. Or if I had wrapped it. Like...it's straight, but it has a little bump at the ends. But with this method, I find that my scalp isn't sore and I don't get a dent from a ponytail holder.

But then I try to shift the position of the rollers every night, even if just a little. I worry about getting bald spots from wearing them in the same place everyday.

pattyr5

Good luck!

This is a great suggestion, I think I understand how to do it although it seems like it would only work on very long hair that is even in length. Right now my hair is shoulder length and in a layered cut and I doubt I can get it all in a middle roller :nono:

pattyr5

Yes I get this problem and my edges have thinned out so bad and are damaged I believe from wrapping so I occasionally wrap but not too tight and I mostly cross wrap. I have to stretch relaxers to give my edges a chance to grow back in.

Okay a few people have said they crossed wrapped....what exactly is that???

foxieroxienyc

What do you use to wrap your head? Comb, brush, boar bristle brush? And how tight are you wrapping?

I know that when I first started wrapping my hair occasionally (like once in a blue moon) I'd get a sore spot between my right temple and the hair line in the right corner of my head. I realized that it was from wrapping my hair too tight/flat. I wrap my hair just about every night (and I don't really change directions too often because the other side comes out jacked), however I follow these tips:

1. Use only a wide tooth comb, and GENTLY smooth with a boar bristle brush if needed at the very end before putting on my scarf. I only literally graze the top outer layer of the wrap to smooth it out.

2. Don't wrap tightly. I leave it a little loose because I find that when you wrap tight you get sore spots and thinning from all that manipulation.

3. Don't tie the scarf too tightly. I find that that pressure on the wrapped hair around my edges causes soreness at the scalp too.

I tried cross wrapping. I'm not so crazy about it, but I do that occasionally too.