Wrong about my hair type

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
All this time I thought I had type 4 hair, but I actually have type 3C hair. I figured it out tonight when I did my own co-wash. Normally I get my hair done at the salon, but I decided tonight that I would co-wash it and do a twist out. I will post pictures tomorrow. It did not take me long to wash and detangle. I may be doing this more often if it turns out ok

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Your hair is beautiful whatever type you are!

I can't wait to see the pics.

How much does your hair shrink when wet? I know a lot of ladies have 50% or more shrinkage.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I think all those descriptions Andre gives in his hair typing system sound similar. You could be any type according to him. :D

Are you going to show us a pic of what your hair looks like when it's wet? Please?!?!?! I bet it's just as beautiful as your pressed hair! :)

pookeylou

There is such a fine line between 3c and 4a according to Andre...how do you really know?

Does it matter?

I love the new hair typing system I found:

Uniquely YOU by POOKEYLOU!

Type name in here: ___________________________

Look at your hair in the mirror.
Look at your mamma's hair.
Look at your daddy's hair.

Here is the formula for determining what type of hair you have:

The hair you have on your head

plus

the hair you have on your head

equals

the hair you are blessed to have on your head.

HAIR TYPE

UNIQUELY YOU HAIR

Here is how to determine which products will work on your hair:

TRY THEM OUT! :grin:

Not being facetious ya'll, really. But this hair typing system really serves no purpose.

Put two supposedly "3C" people together and it STILL can work totally different. Why?

They both have different genetic makeup. They both eat different. They both drink different amount of water. They both have different parents. They both sleep different, on different materials. A 3C is NOT a 3C!

We are unique. We should treat our hair as such.

I am not saying it is not good to know what worked on someones hair to see if it might work on ours. But we cannot get frustrated if it doesnt and we should not try to worry about bumping ourselves up a category to fit our hair into some type of system.

Your hair is beautiful because it is uniquely you!

dreemssold

I get what you are saying Pookey, and I think you make an EXCELLENT point, truly; however, it does help at times. If I see that all the raves about a certain product are coming from 3Bs and the 4Bs are saying, it didn't do anything for me, then I stay FAR away. When I see 4Bs raving about a product that enabled them to stretch...well, a 4K (as KAddy would say) like myself is ALL over it :grin:. It sounds like a good idea to say just try it, but when you have a list like mine with 5511 things on it, it helps to be able to knock things off whenever possible :). Anyway, UNLV, either way, your hair is lovely.

pookeylou

dreemssold said:
I get what you are saying Pookey, and I think you make an EXCELLENT point, truly; however, it does help at times. If I see that all the raves about a certain product are coming from 3Bs and the 4Bs are saying, it didn't do anything for me, then I stay FAR away. When I see 4Bs raving about a product that enabled them to stretch...well, a 4K (as KAddy would say) like myself is ALL over it :grin:. It sounds like a good idea to say just try it, but when you have a list like mine with 5511 things on it, it helps to be able to knock things off whenever possible :). Anyway, UNLV, either way, your hair is lovely.

I gotcha girlfriend...that is why I am all about the PICTURES these days! :D

Soon as someone says something works for their hair, I go look at the album. Dont have an album...sorry, I aint buying. If my curiosity does get the best of me (and it usually does :ohwell: ) I try it out. If it doesnt work, I pass it on.

But the formula still is the same...I have to try it on my head.

I am really wanting us women to be unique.

CocoaButterflyy

agreed... I have no clue what my hair type is I just know my hair needs... and you are right pictures are more help to me then the typing system

dreemssold

pookeylou said:
I gotcha girlfriend...that is why I am all about the PICTURES these days! :D

Soon as someone says something works for their hair, I go look at the album. Dont have an album...sorry, I aint buying. If my curiosity does get the best of me (and it usually does :ohwell: ) I try it out. If it doesnt work, I pass it on.

:lol: True...I see your point :) .

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
pookeylou said:
There is such a fine line between 3c and 4a according to Andre...how do you really know?

Does it matter?

I love the new hair typing system I found:

Uniquely YOU by POOKEYLOU!

Type name in here: ___________________________

Look at your hair in the mirror.
Look at your mamma's hair.
Look at your daddy's hair.

Here is the formula for determining what type of hair you have:

The hair you have on your head

plus

the hair you have on your head

equals

the hair you are blessed to have on your head.

HAIR TYPE

UNIQUELY YOU HAIR

Here is how to determine which products will work on your hair:

TRY THEM OUT! :grin:

Not being facetious ya'll, really. But this hair typing system really serves no purpose.

Put two supposedly "3C" people together and it STILL can work totally different. Why?

They both have different genetic makeup. They both eat different. They both drink different amount of water. They both have different parents. They both sleep different, on different materials. A 3C is NOT a 3C!

We are unique. We should treat our hair as such.

I am not saying it is not good to know what worked on someones hair to see if it might work on ours. But we cannot get frustrated if it doesnt and we should not try to worry about bumping ourselves up a category to fit our hair into some type of system.

Your hair is beautiful because it is uniquely you!
That's cute! :D and I agree... your hair type is YOU. :)

jainygirl

pookeylou said:

I like the idea of using pictures to type, it seems more practical on the wallet :). I looked at someones hair on here and if i didnt know it wasnt my head i would swear that it was my hair in the picture. Same length twa and everything. She's pm'ed me so that's someone i will definitely take product recs from based on her picture :). -- jainygirl

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
I didn't get a chance to take any pictures last night while it was wet, because it was late and my kids were all over each other. It turned out ok, next time I will make my twist smaller and get started on it before midnight. It was a last minute thing, I was like should I go get my hair done tomorrow or should I wash it myself. My husband suggested that I do it myself, cause he hasn't seen my hair natural in about 6months. So I was like Ok. I will update my album afterwork, and I will include the link and pw in my sig.

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
Hey everyone I managed to put three pictures of my first attempt at a twist out. It looks ok, I think it will look better as I get more practice. pw:rebels

Tru_Mind

Unlvgirl your hair is gorgeous I had to show it to my friend!!!

I've always thought that the best way to figure out your hair type especially if you are relaxed or transitioning is to look at your pre-relaxed pictures or you as a young girl. You should know for sure, because I read somewhere that around 5 or 6 your hair stop changing, but you get more hair strands as you get older. *** Someday check my info, because I barely remember.****

Also, I’ve heard a curly head white young lady say that when she was a little girl her hair was straight, but at around 12 years old it turned curly. I think that maybe she had less hair as a little girl. I've never heard any black women say this. Maybe, they'll say it wasn't as thick or as dry. I know that my hair is changing back to pre-relaxed days slowly but surely.

Last edited:

Isis

Your hair and twistout is so pretty! Also, the curls you pin up to wear to bed looks like a very nice updo!

Ayeshia

tru_mind said:
Unlvgirl your hair is gorgeous I had to show it to my friend!!!

I've always thought that the best way to figure out your hair type especially if you are relaxed or transitioning is to look at your pre-relaxed pictures or you as a young girl. You should know for sure, because I read somewhere that around 5 or 6 your hair stop changing, but you get more hair strands as you get older. *** Someday check my info, because I barely remember.****

Also, I’ve heard a curly head white young lady say that when she was a little girl her hair was straight, but at around 12 years old it turned curly. I think that maybe she had less hair as a little girl. I've never heard any black women say this. Maybe, they'll say it wasn't as thick or as dry. I know that my hair is changing back to pre-relaxed days slowly but surely.
My hair was like this when I was 4 and 5 it was really really fine and curly...my ponytails were very thin but my hair was long. Then all of a sudden when I turned about 8 or 9 WHAM :shocked: all of this hair just started growing in and it was so much thicker and bushier. They
called me rudy at school lol.

Whats really weird is that I really dont pay much attention to Andres hair typing system...but when I read his description of type 3 hair it pretty much described my hair accurately. But as everyone pointed out, I usually see someones album and determine if I should use it based on the similarity of their hair to mines :) Kha is one person that comes to mind.

I love your hair Its soooooooo long and very pretty. I cant wait to get there in a few years :)

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
Thanks for the compliments! Hopefully I can get it to look like Nay's twistout once I get the hang of it. I love the way her's turn out. I'll post more pictures next week when I cowash and twist again. I probably would have never tried this if I hadn't found this site. I thank everyone for posting their pictures and regimes they have truly helped me.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Your twist out is beautiful!! :)
Hair typing is difficult without seeing your hair just air dried after washing without touching it afterwards.
I reaalllllly envy your length!!