Y Relax, You Don't Have Any New Growth?

KinksnCurlz

Y Relax, You Don\'t Have Any New Growth?

I have an acquaintance, that tends to relax her hair when she does not need it. She has absolutely NO NEWGROWTH! If there is, it is less than 1/4" and her last relaxer was about 3 months ago. She seems to think that some product she is putting in her hair is making her new growth practically disappear. She even gets it trimmed everytime she relaxes (even tho she doesnt' find any split ends) but that's another story. I thought the purpose of relaxing was to 'tame' (for lack of a better word) your new growth and your new growth only. But with all this relaxing, she is ultimately damaging her hair. She is just 'programmed' to relax every 3 months, like a darn robot. What is up with that?

PapillionRouge

Re: Y Relax, You Don\'t Have Any New Growth?

Well, what condition is her hair in? Does her hair look healthy, is it long? Or is it short and damsged?

Chimma

Wow, that is pretty scary to have no new growth in 3 months!

KinksnCurlz

LMAO @ Chimma. And no, her hair does not look damaged but it looks dry, it's about an inch or 2 past her shoulders.

aqualung

If her hair grows tightly coiled, the new growth won't show until the relaxer stretches it out.

1/4 inch coiled --> 1.5 inches stretched

KinksnCurlz

I hear what you are saying Megonw but I have LOOKED at her scalp and trust me when i say there is NOOO new growth. And that tiny amount i've seen, there is no way that'll stretch to even 1". I even told her don't relax it yet, wait until she HAS new growth but as usual, she didn't listen

silvergirl

i dont know..... wen i used to relax my hair. i dont even begin to notice my new growth untill about 3 months because my hair has loose coils to it. so it take about 3 months for the a 2 inche piece of hair to make a completly curl on my head. it def depends on her hair type, i think 4a/b type hair would be easier to see within a couple weeks. frankly the only reason id know my hair grows 2inches in 3 months is because i dyed my hair an i could keep track of the new growth an because i see it gettin longer...

Foxycus02

3 months sounds like a good time to wait in between relaxers. She sounds like she has my type of hair. My best friend is Jamaican and her hair is coarser than mine. So when I show her my new growth she says the same ish to me and thats cuz her new growth is so much more noticeable. Have you seen the different curl patterns in wet hair? cuz I know after rollersetting and wrapping my new growth straightens out.

inthepink

I also tended to not notice new growth on my hair until at least a month but this past year, it was over 2 months before I noticed new growth. Then what would happen is suddenly it would all be there - all 1-2 months worth of new growth. I think it may depend on hair texture sometimes. For example, my hair tends to grow out straight for maybe 1/2 inch before it then bends to wave if that makes any sense at all!
Still, I would be hesitent to relax without "noticeable" new growth. Just doesn't make sense.

InsertCleverNameHere

I agree with others that she may just have a loose curl pattern. I don't really notice new growth for months because it takes that long to get a full curl or wave. Alo, some people with looser hairtypes relax more to debulk than anything instead of because the new growth is curly.

I remember seeing a girl sitting in front of me in a stylist chair at a Dominican salon having a relaxer touch up and when looking at her hair partings, there was virtually NO re growth. I thought to myself wow that seems odd to be relaxing with virtually nothing to relax. It was very bright lighting (think McDonalds) so I could really see the diff bet. the regrowth and the relaxed hair and it looked like less than 1/4 of an inch....

jellynote

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
Wow, that is pretty scary to have no new growth in 3 months!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would wonder why I haven't gotten any new growth in 3 months. That would make me think that something is wrong.

GodMadeMePretty

I'm one whose hair doesn't show any new growth. My curl pattern is loose if you can even call it a curl pattern. I relax to debulk as one poster said. Of course around the edges, my hair is coily and that's noticeable, but inside my hair, if it weren't for me touching it in some places to feel the different texture of relaxed and new growth, I wouldn't know it was there. I actually thought after my last relaxer that the back of my hair wasn't growing at all. But then at about 3 1/2 months, it was all of a sudden very bulky and I realized that there was 2-3 inches there. Very odd.

Edit: Doesn't show new growth if I style it certain ways.

KinksnCurlz

Okay, i hear what you ladies are saying, that is something that i didn't know (and knowing is half the battle
). But when she came back from the stylist, her hair is not even 1/2" longer than it was when she left
How do you explain that? She said this time she didn't get a trim b/c she just got one (i'm surprised)...but her hair looks like the same length.

CocoaCure

Hmmmm. This is an interesting thread! I don't know because I ALWAYS feel newgrowth! At 5 weeks my hair feels like I'm wearing a little helmet of hair underneath my regular hair! It's that puffy!! It's not coily, but it's just extremely puffing and you can clearly see the difference. But no growth in 3 months??? That means her hair is breaking as fast as it's growing, because it doesn't matter what hair type you have 1A to 5Z (Tee Hee) you should still see some growth in 3 full months!!! That's a long time! Does she use heat everyday? Are you teaching her your good habits??

KinksnCurlz

She is one of those people that do not want to listen. You know, a know-it-all. Everybody (and their mama
) knows that i frequent this board and never tire of giving a few 'hints' and recommendations b/c of what i've learned here. She just doesn't seem to care... Oh well, it's her loss. I even got my daughter's old babysitter thanking me because I told her about this forum. AND both of her daughters' hair are thriving.

Nyambura

surfer girl

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Okay, i hear what you ladies are saying, that is something that i didn't know (and knowing is half the battle
). But when she came back from the stylist, her hair is not even 1/2" longer than it was when she left
How do you explain that? She said this time she didn't get a trim b/c she just got one (i'm surprised)...but her hair looks like the same length.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this is the same person BRH saw at the Dominican salon?

Babygurl

I think it is possible that you dont see her new growth. This is the first time Ive stretched my relaxer past 2 months, and my new growth is definately there. Once I wash and condition and apply mango butter its so straight it look like I have a fresh relaxer. Once I wet my hair again it curls right back up.