"Yes To"-discontinued leave-ins and sodium hydroxide!

BoaterGirlKim

I've been having a hard time finding Yes To products in my area and after exhausting searches for the products and threads regarding the products, I called Yes To today and the rep confirmed that my beloved Yes To Cucumbers Leave-In has been discontinued. THEN I find a thread on another board mentioning that the regular conditioner formulas have changed. I looked up the ingredients and sure enough what was once a pure vegetable garden of ingredients has been adulterated with chemicals including sodium hydroxide. Even if it's the last ingredient, my hair doesn't want it! I gave up NTM Silk Touch because of that - ugh!

Any suggestions for an organic leave-in? I don't think my hair will like Giovanni - I tried some of that new formula between my thumb and fingers and it made little white dry balls after a minute. I'm relaxed but like to stretch and YTCucs Leave-In worked well with my cowash staples to melt my new growth. Grrr!

DrC

Sodium Hydroxide? Why do companies do this?? Its not like their products weren't selling. I've heard great things about "Yes To"

biancaelyse

I love Yes to Carrots and Yes to Tomatoes and Yes to Cucs. I hate when they reformulate a great product.

I wonder if the company was bought out?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
the sodium hydroxide is ONLY to balance the product it WILL NOT straighten the hair AT all. It is inexpensive this is why they use that instead of citric acid....,

EllePixie

the sodium hydroxide is ONLY to balance the product it WILL NOT straighten the hair AT all. It is inexpensive this is why they use that instead of citric acid....,

I agree about sodium hydroxide...but the new one is icks on my hair still. The consistency is totally different. I also thought that citric acid was used to balance pH "down" (since it has a very low pH) and sodium hydroxide was used to balance it "up."

GreenEyedJen

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I like Oyin Handmade Hair Dew as a leave-in. I actually stopped using YTCuc's leave-in after I bought the Hair Dew.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I agree about sodium hydroxide...but the new one is icks on my hair still. The consistency is totally different. I also thought that citric acid was used to balance pH "down" (since it has a very low pH) and sodium hydroxide was used to balance it "up."

I learn something new today. I thought they both did the same thing just one being less expensive.

Kimiche

BoaterGirlKim The "Yes To" leave-in used to be my staple leave-in, but I stopped using it when it became hard to find. I contacted the company asking if it was being discontinued, but no one replied. :censored: The last straw was when I ordered some from their website once and it didn't work like it used to on my hair. :nono: I was done after that. On To The Next One!!

LadyMacgyver

As usualy I am late..lol... I didn't know they changed the formula in their products.. I love yes to Carrots.. Thank goodness I end up getting about 3-4 bottles about 4 months ago when Walgreens had a sale.. I still have 1 bottle of Carrots I got from Ross.. Oh well no need to buy the new products now..

Roux

Interesting. I remember about two years ago I found the entire line on clearance at a grocery store. Tried em all on my relaxed hair and hated each and every single one.

BoaterGirlKim

Myjourney2009, I realize that sodium hydroxide is used in some styling products for balance; I'm just trying to move toward organic products for my hair, and preferably low pH ones.

BoaterGirlKim

GreenEyedJen, thanks for the Oyin Hair Dew recommendation. Unfortunately, castor oil is its 2nd ingredient and that treats my hair like protein - bad. I also want to avoid chemically derived ingredients (behentrimonium methosulfate, optiphen, cetyl alcohol).

NIN4eva

I've been having a hard time finding Yes To products in my area and after exhausting searches for the products and threads regarding the products, I called Yes To today and the rep confirmed that my beloved Yes To Cucumbers Leave-In has been discontinued. THEN I find a thread on another board mentioning that the regular conditioner formulas have changed. I looked up the ingredients and sure enough what was once a pure vegetable garden of ingredients has been adulterated with chemicals including sodium hydroxide. Even if it's the last ingredient, my hair doesn't want it! I gave up NTM Silk Touch because of that - ugh!

Any suggestions for an organic leave-in? I don't think my hair will like Giovanni - I tried some of that new formula between my thumb and fingers and it made little white dry balls after a minute. I'm relaxed but like to stretch and YTCucs Leave-In worked well with my cowash staples to melt my new growth. Grrr!

Oh! Is that the deal with NTM Silk Touch? I was wondering what all the fuss was about. I bought some of it and HATED it. I must've gotten the newer formula.

BoaterGirlKim

Yeah, I can't pinpoint if it's the sodium hydroxide, but my hair sheds more than usual during washing and detangling after I've moisturized with NTM for a day or two.

allmundjoi

I left YTCc over night in my hair...BIG mistake. It felt hard, like I had to much protein in my hair. Even after I rinsed it out and DC with my HG AOHSR. I am DCing now with Humectress (trying to get rid of my potent, yet truly synthetic conditioners). I will still use it as a cowash bc it gives me great slip. Has anyone noticed it really smells like cucumbers now?

Sent from my DROIDX

BoaterGirlKim

I've confirmed it - the Yes To Cucumbers new formula conditioner is crap. When I started the thread, I had already ordered a bottle from Walmart.com, and though I submitted a cancel request after finding out about the change, it was too late. So, the bottle came in the mail and I tried it this morning. My hair was detangled beautifully before leave-in, but it also was shedding in bundles rather than 1 or maybe 2 individual strands, just as my hair does with NTM Silk Touch. The thing I know they have in common is sodium hydroxide. Off to Walmart after work to return YesToChemicals!

leiah

I saw the old versions of the whole line in a store yesterday and I was going to buy them but they all had an expiration date of 1/11 stamped on them. The new version does not have an expiration date so I guess there's a lot more stuff in them

Ive tried the yes to carrots conditioner and mask in the past. didn't like either
now i'm using yes to tomatoes shampoo. the new one. its ok. im not really picky with my shampoos

I love their lip balms though

allmundjoi

leiah, which store was it?

BoaterGirlKim, I saw the old formula at Walgreens. In fact I purchased it, used it and loved it. Saw that it was expired, 1/11, and took it back. It was my first YTCc product. If I only knew. I went to Target to get an unexpired bottle, Walgreens was out, and unknowingly got the new formulated version.

Sent from my DROIDX

Lucia

To OP
Have you tried Aubrey Organics? There all natural. I used AO GPB and just went back to AO HSR recently and I don't have to moisturize 2x a day everyday once every 3 days is enough. I use it as a leave in but once I finish my other conds it will be my full time staple for CW, DC, and leave in.

Last edited:

Uniqzoe

I must be in the minority because my hair still likes YTCucumbers! I can tell a difference in the consistency but it still works wonders on my tangles.