YOU will not Believe ...

beana3

the scorn i received for wearing a wig! i went out with a few of my associates last night (who all wear weaves BTW) and they had jokes on me all night. I tried to explain to them that YES I STILL HAVE HAIR UNDERNEATH!! They either assumed i cut my hair off and was embarrassed or that I had yet ANOTHER jacked up salon experience (lol, i had to laugh myself!).. all kinds of crap. So when i tried to explain my reasoning, they all kinda looked at me and gave me that, "yeah, whatever" look.
Well, i too wanted a weave a few months back. Then i was like HELLO, all i want the weave for was to achieve a certain look, so why not just buy a wig with the "look"??? When i go out somwhere special i'll just put it on and go, and i'll always have that perfectly styled feel. My wig is the same exact length as my own hair, the color match is believeable, and the yaki hair looks just right on me. Plus i dont have to spend 3hours of my time the night before washing and setting my hair.
Come to think of it, i shouldn't have told those people anything. i was just trying to give them a subliminal message, ditch the weave and take care of your own hair. If they weren't feeling all up in my hair in the first place the topic would not have come up, but you know how certain people are... just looking for a reason to hate.
I feel like only the women on these boards understand and can fully comprehend styling options such as a weave or wig. We dont view them as someone being "fake" and dont hate on one another, support is always here. I appreciate that. I can truly say that I AM COMFORTABLE wearing a wig now, whereas last wear i would've sucked my teeth in ignorance. just wanted to share

LondonDiva

Beana, do your thing. If they want to think that you cut it all off or it's jacked up underneath then that's their problem. You know differently and that's what matters. It's reasons like that and people's ignorance and shallow mindedness that makes me keep the topic of hair to these boards only.

caramelbarbie

Beana! I wish I was with you girl! I would have been wearing my ponytail right there with you. I love my hair that's why I have decided to protect it. Its just too bad if your co workers didn't get it. /images/graemlins/mad.gif
LOL i guess i'm a bit touchy about it. It took my awhile to accept wearing a ponytail. I was worried about what people would say ...... worried that people would think that I didn't have any hair of my own blah blah blah but now......I see wearing it as a faster way to reach my goals.....I don't have to mess with my own hair...worry about curling it and styling. I'm just so gald for the support I get from this hair board /images/graemlins/smile.gif <font color="blue"> </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color> <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color> .....

Robin41

It does take a minute to get used to wearing fake hair but after seeing me in extensions from shoulder to butt length, my family and co-workers now never know what to expect from me so they're not surprised. And Beana if your girls are wearing weaves, what's so farfetched about a wig? I don't see what the difference is.

I wear drawstring ponytails, clip-on buns and braid extensions but haven't bought a wig yet. I think it's just a matter of confidence. If you wear that hair like you know you look good and you know you're why you're wearing it, people will just accept it. But if you're ashamed or embarassed, they'll sense it and pounce like hyenas.

notsomebody

I can't believe the absolute nerve of some people. Especially considering that the ones making fun were wearing weaves. I mean what's the difference? They are covering up their real hair with weaves and your technique just happens to be less damaging and gives you access to your hair when you need it.

Even if you were bald underneath or was having a bad hair day, where do they get off hatin on you like that. Sport your wig girl. Cause you will have the last laugh.

pebbles

beana3,

I don't see why they were making fun of you, especially if they were wearing weaves themselves! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif They, of all people, should be able to understand.

hairfanatic

Hi Beana

Your associates sound like nothing but a bunch of "Hypocrites" to me. /images/graemlins/mad.gifI wonder if they would laugh so hard if you had mentioned to some people last night "Oh, by the way, did you know she was wearing a weave". Please... "it looks nice" would have been sufficient. The old mother's tale still rings true even for today...IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE, DON'T SAY NOTHING AT ALL!

carrie

Beanna - forget thoses haters Keep doing what you are doing. If you want to sport a wig, so what? I wonder what their hair looks like under the weave?

beana3

thanks everyone for the support, i really needed it!! I was really bothered by the negative comments, i couldn't beleive it, especially coming from a group of women who wear weaves. I find it weird that women are quick to tell someone else their hair is jacked up and so forth while there is SILENCE when someone's hair looks nice.
When i have a good hair day, i'll get few compliments and the rest are just stares from women trying to figure out if its "real" or not!!!

Personally, I make it a point to compliment black women and young girls on their hair, weaves, wigs, whatever, if it looks nice i'll say it! I do this b/c if someone had told me growing up that i had "nice" hair, I would have had a more positive outlook on myself. Too often black women have a low opinion of themselves, and if complimenting someone's hair makes them feel better i'm all for it. Unfortunately, negativity prevails in these situations.

I'm just happy i have the support from this board... it really helps

Ennyaa

^5 on that one girl!!

I make it a point to tell women when I like something about their hair or their clothes or make-up or anything. Even if I know it's a weave or whatever, if it looks nice then dammit it just DOES! I just keep hoping it's a trend that will catch on. Maybe if we start complimenting each other more some of us will stop acting so STINK!