your opinion please!!!

okay here's my situation all my life i and my whole family have attend the same church now over the years a lot of my family have left this church for a numerous reasons (started pastoring they own churches, found a good church near their house and other reasons) so now the church just consist of the pastor, his wife, his son, one church mother two of my dad's aunts, the assist. pastor and his wife, my dad mom, brother, sister, and me. Everyone but my dad, mom, and sibiling are over the age of 65 and this church is very very strict, no going to the movies, women must wear long skirts at all times, no christmas trees, no dating unless you plan on getting married to that person stuff like that. my brother have found a wonderful church with alot of young people our age (he's 18 and i'm 20) and recently join they a choir have a youth group go on trips etc. i have went with him almost every sunday for the last two month and want to join. The problem is my mother and father were less than please when my brother join this church and if i left too i know they will not be happy, however the church i they go to now is just so hard to attend! every time we ge a new member my aunt are so hard on them, they run the out and my aunts are always putting me on "blast" in front of the whole church about things i did five, six years ago when i was having a little rough patch like all teenagers do and about wearing jeans and skirts above my ankles, cutting my hair and going to the movies etc. i want to join my brother new church it seems like a good fit for my life and the way i think about God and worship, but i don't do something my parents are against!! help!! (sorry this is so long but i had to vent)

Last edited:

star

This is not God. I am praying for you. You must step out and make your own decisions you are not being disrespectful. It seems like your family is trying to bring you down. Cry out to God and ask for strenght to move on and make your own descions. Not living for what others want. :)

scorpiogirl112184 said:
okay here's my situation all my life i and my whole family have attend the same church now over the years a lot of my family have left this church for a numerous reasons (started pastoring they own churches, found a good church near their house and other reasons) so now the church just consist of the pastor, his wife, his son, one church mother two of my dad's aunts, the assist. pastor and his wife, my dad mom, brother, sister, and me. Everyone but my dad, mom, and sibiling are over the age of 65 and this church is very very strict, no going to the movies, women must wear long skirts at all times, no christmas trees, no dating unless you plan on getting married to that person stuff like that. my brother have found a wonderful church with alot of young people our age (he's 18 and i'm 20) and recently join they a choir have a youth group go on trips etc. i have went with him almost every sunday for the last two month and want to join. The problem is my mother and father were less than please when my brother join this church and if i left too i know they will not be happy, however the church i they go to now is just so hard to attend! every time we ge a new member my aunt are so hard on them, they run the out and my aunts are always putting me on "blast" in front of the whole church about things i did five, six years ago when i was having a little rough patch like all teenagers do and about wearing jeans and skirts above my ankles, cutting my hair and going to the movies etc. i want to join my brother new church it seems like a good fit for my life and the way i think about God and worship, but i don't do something my parents are against!! help!! (sorry this is so long but i had to vent)

natalied said:
Do you and/or your brother still live with your parents?

yes we both still live with them that's why it so hard every sunday morning we have to hear a guilt story, live there but i do pay rent and for my school so not much guilt on my end, but my brother hears stuff like "i brought youu that car and you can't go to church with us, i brought that suit etc" and my mother famous one to me "i almost died giving birth to you you can't go to church (or anything else she was me to do)" however my other family aunts, cousins, uncle completely understand because the went through it when they left and my dad is coming around to the idea

MomofThreeBoys

I'm so sorry your family is giving you the guilt trip...but if they are truly believers in God and are striving to be Christlike then they must understand that you must follow where the Holy Spirit is leading you. Even Jesus had to tell his parents that He had to do his Father's work DESPITE where they thought he should be!!!

Pray and Fast and then Fast and pray. As the Spirit moves you, go forth and He will give you the words, and the strength to tell and deal with your parents.

I will pray for you my sister!

scorpiogirl112184 said:
yes we both still live with them that's why it so hard every sunday morning we have to hear a guilt story, live there but i do pay rent and for my school so not much guilt on my end, but my brother hears stuff like "i brought youu that car and you can't go to church with us, i brought that suit etc" and my mother famous one to me "i almost died giving birth to you you can't go to church (or anything else she was me to do)" however my other family aunts, cousins, uncle completely understand because the went through it when they left and my dad is coming around to the idea

ThickHair

You have a right to worship where you want to worship. Would they trip if you just said that you no longer want to attend any church? Your parents are throwing a serious guilt trip on you. You have to decide if it is worth the battle. They also seem very controlling and do you want to be controlled by them the rest of your life? One day you are going to have to stand up to them. Sooner than later.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I agree natalied. I vistited a simular church like this where you can only wear dress/skirts, no make-up or jewelry, the ladies couldn't cut their hair, no acrylic nails, no extentions/weaves, no contact lenses, etc.

If the Lord is leading you to another church home, then by all means, do so.

I also feel that it is very wrong of your parent to bring up your past that way. :nono: God has forgiven you, why can't they.

Matthew 6:14 - For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you

Luke 6:37 - "Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
When I was a teen, I wanted to join another church. My mom told me that when I was grown, I could join whatever church I wanted, but until then I had to continue going to her church--the church I grew up in. It wasn't a bad place--just very political, not enough room for the Spirit to move freely, etc.

Anyway, when I was "grown" as she said, I joined that church that I wanted to join. It has proven to be a fruitful move. Not that it is a perfect church and all rosy, but God is there and allowed in freely. Me being part of this church is more fruitful for my life.

You need to be in a church where you can grow. From your description of your current church--you and many others are hindered and there are many controlling people there that don't seem to be operating in the love of Christ. Do not let your parents' guilt trips keep you from doing what is a step in making you a stronger woman of God with a deeper relationship with the Lord. PLEASE don't let them stop you. Amazing, but the devil will use those closest to you sometimes to keep you from striving for and getting to where God wants you to be.

My advice plain and simple: Sounds like you and your brother should join the other church.

NewlyNature12

I agree that you do need to move where you can worship freely, but if that is not an option right now, you might have to make the best of this situation. Remember, you are there to give glory to God and become stronger in your faith. All the other people and rules are irrelevant. Its difficult, but please don't be discouraged...I'm praying for you! :kiss:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Find a church that has God in it... not a church that is caught up in what THEY think is the right way to worship and fellowship. Seems like a Puritan church to me. If it doesn't align with the Bible, leave immediately.