YouTuber Warning About Huetiful Steamers

vtoodler

I just stumbled on this video of a woman complaining about the Huetiful steamer. She used the steamer weekly and claims to have had good results at first.

However, according to her, the steamer later led to scalp irritation, hair loss, and scalp eczema.

In one of the comments, someone said the woman should not have used the steamer weekly; this commentator claimed that steaming this often can eventually lead to damage.

What do you think of all this?

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3uAScPyuA&feature=fvwrel

Last edited:
I think she just burned her scalp and may be allergic to either the product she is using or if she's using tap water, whatever is in her water.

I mean it is essentially boiling water and it seams people forget that. I am actually debating on which steamer I want myself and I dont think anyone should have these problems with proper use and moderation.

I didn't look at the video but if she suffered that much damage I assume she used the steamer for an unhealthy amount if time AND possibly had the steam source too close to her scalp.

(BTW) I feel the same way about sitting under hair dryers. Bi-weekly/weekly use can't be good. (for everyone)

I have the Huetiful steamer. I'll admit when I first starting using it that thang was hot! Whew! But there's a steam vent on top to help release some of the steam. So I keep it about 1/2 closed. If she kept it fully closed, and used for longer than 20 mins, possible to damage scalp.

In the past, I have used the steamer for 40 mins, weekly. It seemed the 2nd 20 mins was the hottest. So I knocked it back to one 20 min session.

I then wonder about the WEN. Some ladies have complained of scalp burns, hair loss, breakage when using WEN on a consistent basis. So it could be product, technique, steamer OD all together or separately.

Or the steamer may be faulty, over heating the water.

I hope she recovers, but if I felt the steamer caused damage, I would not consider using it, ever again!

Yeah its just steam, how can steam damage your hair unless you use it wrong? She also needs to make sure she cleans the steamer because if it has bacteria of any kind that can be coming out and onto her hair.

I didn't watch the video but there are too many variables to blame her problems on the appliance

I saw that old video, and I thought it was something she did or used then and I stick to that opinion.

Listening to this vid again, she used it once a week which is WAY too much. Twice a month if that for me, and even sometimes not that often.

Then again...that WEN stuff made my friend's hair come OUT. OUT. It was like a dead rat, that's how much hair came out and she showed me the pic and sent all that stuff back to WEN and got a refund.

I saw that old video, and I thought it was something she did or used then and I stick to that opinion.

Listening to this vid again, she used it once a week which is WAY too much. Twice a month if that for me, and even sometimes not that often.

Then again...that WEN stuff made my friend's hair come OUT. OUT. It was like a dead rat, that's how much hair came out and she showed me the pic and sent all that stuff back to WEN and got a refund.

Ewwwww!!! My sister had a bad WEN experience. She was so happy with how soft her hair was, then it started breaking off...

Conclusion......she's not using the steamer properly or is using it excessively.

I've had my steamer for 2 years and have used it weekly for 30 to 35 minutes with the vents fully opened. I have an LCL beauty steamer. No problems with it or my hair/scalp. It is a permanent staple in my regimen.

OMG!

that happened to my sister's hair. huge fistfuls of hair.
instead of sending it back she just uses it to shave her legs!:lachen:

I thought about this after posting...that lady in the video steamed with WEN...aren't there essential oils in it??

I would NEVER steam with WEN for that reason, one it would feel too invigorating, but also, I'd be scared of some crazy reaction.

People seem to forget that steam is the vapour of water. If the water is boiling hot, the steam is also going to be boiling hot. You can (and I have seen this) get 3rd degree burns from STEAM. So I think she burnt her scalp causing some damage/irritation. Once the scalp's health is compromised, we all know how that goes - the hair's health and state is also compromised.

Here's a pic of someone who got a 1st degree burn from steam. I'm not going to embed any burn pics because...well, if you're squeamish, they may bother you. :look:

Steam burn from a hot kettle

Steam burn from removing a casserole dish from the oven

But I'm sure y'all get the idea now.

Steam is NOT to be underestimated. :nono: Why do you think some industrial cleaning companies use steam to clean things?!

Last edited:
Having overmoisturized hair can also cause breakage. So, maybe she not only burned her scalp with improper use of the steamer, but, her hair may have been overmoisturized which led to the breakage.

People seem to forget that steam is the vapour of water. If the water is boiling hot, the steam is also going to be boiling hot. You can (and I have seen this) get 3rd degree burns from STEAM. So I think she burnt her scalp causing some damage/irritation. Once the scalp's health is compromised, we all know how that goes - the hair's health and state is also compromised.

Here's a pic of someone who got a 1st degree burn from steam. I'm not going to embed any burn pics because...well, if you're squeamish, they may bother you. :look:

Steam burn from a hot kettle

Steam burn from removing a casserole dish from the oven

But I'm sure y'all get the idea now.

Steam is NOT to be underestimated. :nono: Why do you think some industrial cleaning companies use steam to clean things?!

^^ This. When I was growing up, my mother was always warning us to be careful of steam coz you can get third degree burns. I don't have a steamer but I think anyone who uses one should be a stickler for using it according to directions or you could end up dealing with a lot of hurt, or permanent hair loss.

Golden75 said:
I have the Huetiful steamer. I'll admit when I first starting using it that thang was hot! Whew! But there's a steam vent on top to help release some of the steam. So I keep it about 1/2 closed. If she kept it fully closed, and used for longer than 20 mins, possible to damage scalp.

In the past, I have used the steamer for 40 mins, weekly. It seemed the 2nd 20 mins was the hottest. So I knocked it back to one 20 min session.

I then wonder about the WEN. Some ladies have complained of scalp burns, hair loss, breakage when using WEN on a consistent basis. So it could be product, technique, steamer OD all together or separately.

Or the steamer may be faulty, over heating the water.

I hope she recovers, but if I felt the steamer caused damage, I would not consider using it, ever again!

Wow the first time I hearing of the WEN problems and im a WEN user. So far it's good results

Back