2 Reviews: Bantu relaxer and Rollersetting (long)

MizaniMami

Hey ladies,

Last night I did my touch-up relaxer with bantu regular Lye and I did a rollerset. Both turned out pretty good. I promise to update this thread tonight with pics but since I don't have my camera to upload them first let me tell you what i did.

I relaxed first. I based my scalp well and i used Suave Milk N Honey as a pre-relaxing conditioner. I relaxed with bantu and used my Aveda DR set. It took me about 15 minutes to get the relaxer in and I let it process for about 5 minutes (including smoothing) Some parts of my hair is still texlaxed:eek: Which I don't mind but all the burning that I went through I thought it would be bone straight, which I was going for :look: This is NOT for people with sensitive scalps or slow self relaxers. But it is a good relaxer, in my opinion.

Overall I am pretty satisfied with the relaxer, but next time i will have my sis process the front while I do the back. That way I can have more time to let it sit since the front was the part that was underprocessed.

Now, the rollersetting was a huge success. After I relaxed and deep conditioned I used Aveda DR conditioner as a leave-in and sealed it with KeraC oils. I then put my hair in the large purple magnetic rollers with the clamps. I sprayed some heat protectant spray on the hair and got under the dryer for an hour and 15 minutes. I think if it wasn't for the clamps my hair would have came out perfect. But since it was hard to get all the rollers to stay with the clips I resulted to the clamps. This left my hair with HUGE roller clamps prints which i didn't appreciate. But it made my hair UBERLY soft and bouncy and straighter than blowdrying would ever do. Then did the saran wrap method under the dryer for about 10 more minutes. This made my hair a little bit straighter and softer. This is a DEF. must try. I wish i would have stayed for about 15 minutes but it was already 2:30 AM and I was getting too darn sleepy! So I took my sedu and flat ironed the peices that didn't come out right and the roller clamp prints on the front. I moisturized with KeraC creme hairdress (thank you candyC and macherie:D ) and wrapped for the night.

I am amazed at how my hair looks now i haven't took any comparison pics or updated my fotki since i have a lot of body I will wait until the body leave to post comparison pics.

All and all i will be rollersetting again. But I have to find and alternative to the clamps but something that can keep the rollers in tight. I'll be on the look out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Bantu made my hair come out very straight in some places which I seriously appreciate. I WILL be using this for my next touch up. It looks like my hair has thickened out soooo much. I can't wait until the length shows/curls loosen so can take pics. I hope this review helped some people.

Macherie or other rollersetters do you have any clue as to how I can get the rollers to stay in tight without the clamps. I got the long metal duck clips but they wasn't cutting it. I couldn't win with those things.

Also how do you rollerset when you are really post relaxer? Do you flat iron or blowdry the roots?

***I will add the pics between 5-8 tonight**

Thanks for the review!! I am sure your hair looks beautiful!!:) I use the clamps on my hair too!!

My hair is not as long as yours, and once the curls fall a bit, you can't even tell the clamps were on the hair. I just finger comb my curls and go. :)

The roller clamp prints don't really bother me too much, especially if I'm just gonna wrap my hair right afterwards. If I'm just gonna wear a rollerset, then I don't mind still using the roller clamps, but last night when I did my overnight rollerset, I used a metal clip for my 2 front rollers to hold it better in place so that they wouldn't "fall/roll" forward. Other than that, the clamps are fine to me.

Hi Mizani! I'm glad bantu worked out for you. I used Bantu mild (lye) and I do agree with you that sometimes you need another person to help you out. I ask my mom to help me out a lot, but lately I've been doing it myself. I bet your hair is really pretty!!

I can't wait for your pictures!

I use the clamps and the snap on covers. I always have dents, but it doesn't matter because I always flat iron the part close to the root that didn't lie on the roller anyway. I don't know of any other way besides those two for securing the rollers.

MM I stopped using the clips cause they pulled my hair out as I was pulling them out. Now I use roller pins. They look like very long bobby pins except they are a little thicker and much stronger. I got mine from Sally's ($3.99 in a container of 70). They hold the roller very snug, very easy to put in and take out. I use 1 or two for each roller.

I can't wait to see your pics.

simplycee said:
MM I stopped using the clips cause they pulled my hair out as I was pulling them out. Now I use roller pins. They look like very long bobby pins except they are a little thicker and much stronger. I got mine from Sally's ($3.99 in a container of 70). They hold the roller very snug, very easy to put in and take out. I use 1 or two for each roller.

I can't wait to see your pics.

Thanks yall. I am at school now so I will post the pics when I get home. Though my curls fell dramatically, my hair is so fluffy and bouncy and nice. People have been complimenting me on my hair and even doing double takes:D :eek: I am so excited.

Khandi and CRLSweetie I have some of those clips but the clipping part is a lot longer so it can grab the whole roller. It just didn't work. But maybe I will try again.

SimplyCee, I think I am going to check those pins out.Thanks so much ladies. You ladies are always so helpful!

atlien11 said:
MizaniMami,

Great Review!! Which relaxer did you use prior to trying Bantu? TIA.

Sorry I didn't see your post. Good thing I reread. But yeah, i used Mizani before the switch. But now that I am stretching it doesn't cut it anymore.

MizaniMami I am so glad it worked for you! I used Bantu once in high school and could not handle it. Do you mind me asking what exactly it is you do with the pre relaxer conditioner? Do you apply it to the length of you hair? Or do you mix it in with your relaxer? This sounds interesting. What purpose does it serve? Does it protect the hair shaft? My sister gets her hair done by this lady that always seems to 'drop' some on the length of her hair for some reason :eek: :confused: would this help?

thanks in advance MizaniMami

tishee said:
MizaniMami I am so glad it worked for you! I used Bantu once in high school and could not handle it. Do you mind me asking what exactly it is you do with the pre relaxer conditioner? Do you apply it to the length of you hair? Or do you mix it in with your relaxer? This sounds interesting. What purpose does it serve? Does it protect the hair shaft? My sister gets her hair done by this lady that always seems to 'drop' some on the length of her hair for some reason :eek: :confused: would this help?

thanks in advance MizaniMami

Sure Tishee, Well what I do after I base my scalp is basicly saturate my hair with the conditioner really concentrating on the ends. I make sure to not get it too wet because it will be hard to part when relaxing. I don't mix it with my relaxer. The purpose it serves it to help with overlapping. For instance if you accidently get some relaxer on your ends you have the conditioner there sort of like a sheild to help it from penetrating. Plus I find that my relaxers come out more soft and smooth this way.

PS: Here are some pics if anyone is interested. This is after I unwrapped from being under the dryer with the saran wrap (before I flat ironed some of the creases/peices that didn't get straight. Please ignore the holy wifebeater lol:grin:

DCFC0034.jpg

Here is the other side
DCFC0031.jpg

Here is the back texture, this part came out really nice. the front was kinda :perplexed
DCFC0032.jpg

Well your hair looks great to me, loving the shine, as usual, and the front doesn't look bad at all I actually love the fullness it gives. Don't forget you can always fix the underprocessed parts next go round.

OT: What type of camera is that?

Your hair looks great!! I'm loving the shine too!

This makes me want to practice rollersetting some more. I only tried once and it was a disaster. I need to apply Macherieamour's tips and look into those pins Simplycee is talking about b/c those clips ALWAYS take my hair with them when I take them out.

I had the same problem when I did a roller set last week. My rollers kept flopping over and I ended up using more than one clip for some of them. I noticed in Macherie's roller set that she uses the big hair pins that are made for magnetic rollers. I went to Sally's a purchased two packs for $1.29 ea. I will let you know how it turns out, but I am hopeful that it will work. HTH.

Girl you have some beautiful hair!! I am definitely going to try rollersetting for when I get my touchup because my hair dries a lot faster with rollers versus wrapping. Good Job! I bet you were turning some heads all day!

Back