2-strand twists maintenance 101

Jadacrys

I searched, but didn't find my answer....

I am natural 4a at about 6 inches, got some questions about 2 strands.

How long are you able to keep 2-strand twists?

What do you do to maintain moisture?

What do you use?

Do you wash with twists in?

I need a for dummies tutorial (each morning?/evening? I*blank* using *blank*. I wash on *blank* using *blank*.

I am on my 3 day of twists, they are good and frizzy, wondering how people could keep their hair for two weeks.
Thanks.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
3wks - 1mo
daily surge and activator weekly oiling grease or shea butter on ends
wash once rinse as often as i feel
i tie them up at night
flat twists w/ 2strands tend to last longer on me

JamericanGurl

Thanks for asking this question! I need some schooling myself.

Mine unravel and don't look as cute as the pic you ladies posts.

My hair type is a hodge-podge of 3c/4a

My question is what do you ladies use to hold the twist...Setting lotion, wax or etc?

Thanx:)

Jadacrys

I use ORS Lock and Twist gel for my ends, and that is going well. I have also used mango and lime locking gel with good results.

ETA: I moisturize first with a homemade shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, vitamin E gel and castor oil).

Last edited:

chocolate01

I usually keep my twists about 2 weeks, 3 weeks if i'm being lazy. Now that my hair is longer I pull them back into a pontail and sleep with a satin bonnet. I use long aid curl activator gel on my ends when twisting. At night I spritz glycerin mixed with water to help moisturize. During a two week period I condition wash about 2x and use a leave in after, I use PM The Conditioner

jngn

So does everyone use gel? Which one is the best?

My twist always unravel and frizz up before the week is out.

jngn

chocolate01 said:
I usually keep my twists about 2 weeks, 3 weeks if i'm being lazy. Now that my hair is longer I pull them back into a pontail and sleep with a satin bonnet. I use long aid curl activator gel on my ends when twisting. At night I spritz glycerin mixed with water to help moisturize. During a two week period I condition wash about 2x and use a leave in after, I use PM The Conditioner

Do you wash with the twists in? If so, how do you keep them looking fresh after the wash? Or do you redo them? My twists mat together when I wash them.

chocolate01

Yes I wash with twists in, I don't do a lot of scrubbing or manipulating, I just apply the conditioner and let it sit and then rinse it out. My twists don't mat after washing, if necessary I redo the front of my hairline but usually I keept it rolling with the frizz.

remnant

How long are you able to keep 2-strand twists?
Just two weeks without washing or co-washing!

What do you do to maintain moisture?
I spray my homemade moisturizer every morning!

What do you use?

Do you wash with twists in?
No my twist will not survive it.
One of my natural inspiration use astringent on her scalp when it begins to get itchy and she keeps her twist almost one month without washing it!

natstar

I use shea butter to keep my twists moisturize and held. IF I make then smaller, I tey to wrap them in a scarf at night and I don't let any water get on them excpet for the ends if I want them defined (i mix water w/a little pomade for this). I think they key is to wrap it up at night and don't spritz it or co-was it to avoid frizzies. The shea butter keeps my hair pretty moisturized. Beyond that, if the twists do geta bit frizzy, you can always redo a couple of them to make them look fresh.

TrulyBlessed

How long are you able to keep 2-strand twists? 3 weeks

What do you do to maintain moisture? spray w/ Kemi Conditioning Spray every night and do steam treatments (ie, warm/hot showers without shower cap); kids organics shea butter lotion on ends..sleep with a hair bonnet

What do you use? Shealoe to twist

Do you wash with twists in? haven't tried it yet