Two-Strand Twist Wearers - Stop By Here

brownsugarflyygirl

I lost a lot of strands when I washed and detangled my hair after wearing my mostly natural hair in two strand twists for two weeks. I really like the style...but I am concerned about the number of strands that I am losing.

Do you see more shed hairs when you wear two-strand twists versus other styles?

What techniques do you use when taking them down and detangling?

What order do you use your products?
(i.e. prepoo, then untwist, add conditioner, detangle, then wash, then deep condition)

How do you maintain your twists?

How long do you normally wear them?

Do you wash them? If so, how?

I havent really posted in this area in a while but I needed a little advice so I wanted to get the input of my trusted LHCF ladies. Oh...and I am speaking of twists with natural hair only...not extensions. Thanks :)

Last edited:

mahoganee

The longest I've worn mine is two weeks, going for three right now, and then I wear a twist out. I don't wash mine while I have it in twists but I'll clean my scalp sometimes with a wet towel and a cleanser so that my twists last otherwise, it's buhbye style. After I've worn in it a twistout for a while I slap some conditioner, usually suave or vo5, and some oil on it, put a plastic cap on it and let it sit for a while so that it will detangle easy before I wash it. I haven't had excess shedding when wearing two strands, I think it's just the normal shedding that would've occurred anyway. HTH

Edited to add maintenance. I spray conditioner or scurl on it everyday lightly,(sometimes with a plastic cap on at night) oil my scalp when needed and tie a scarf on at night.

Last edited:

Aveena

I used to wear my hair natural for years and I never erver combed when dry. I would on twist then wash. If you want to do a prewash with oils that's fine. then was and condition. But, I wouldn't start the detangling process until my hair was wet. Also, the crown and glory method of detangling is good but I hated twists cause it just took soooooo long to put in and take out. (my 2 cents)

mkstar826

supersonic
mahoganee said:
I think it's just the normal shedding that would've occurred anyway.

I agree. If you wear twists for 2-3 weeks at a time (or more) it's going to look like you lost a lot of hair because that's the hair that would have naturally shed if your hair was loose.

I wouldn't be concerned unless it was BREAKAGE...not normal shedding.

no, i see the same amount...and to be clear i'm talking about hair that sheds naturally (white bulb on the end) not breakage (broken hair)

What techniques do you use when taking them down and detangling? What order do you use your products? (i.e. prepoo, then untwist, add conditioner, detangle, then wash, then deep condition)

take them down one by one, separate the definition of each taken down twist to get shed hairs out and remove any knots w/ fingers, either pre-poo w/ conditioner & detangle or use a moisturizing shampoo & conditioner then detangle

wearing a scarf at night. spritzing or moisturizing weekly.

2-4 weeks.

yes. just like i would wash loose hair only a lot more gently. add shampoo, scrub scalp w/ finger tips, rinse. add conditioner, let it sit, rinse. add moisturizer and retwist any that came undo (usually only the ends of twists in crown area because my texture is loosest there).

lsubabiedee

yes, because the shed hairs aren't being cleared as usual, so when i finally take the twists down, all the hairs i've shed since in twists are combed out...but this also happens with any style that i wear and im not having to detangle often

ha...u dont really want to know. im really rough on my hair and i pull a lot out. i need to do better. lol

(i.e. prepoo, then untwist, add conditioner, detangle, then wash, then deep condition)

i usually untwist then deep condition, wash, condition and detangle

i try to hold off on rinsing as long as possible and keep my twists in a ponytail at night when i sleep...after they've been rinsed tho i just tie my hair down like normal.

at least a week...i like to shoot for 2 weeks tho

heck yes...i have too...my scalp gets really oily and nasty after a day or two...so either i do a baking soda scrub or just rub diluted shampoo into my scalp and rinse and let the suds run down the twists...its usually not my hair thats dirty tho

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hey brownsugarflyygirl!

The breakage and shedding I see after taking down twists and then washing my hair are normal to me...

I just take my twists down with my fingers. I first unravel the ends and then I unravel the twists with one finger from root to end...

I just untwist, wet my hair with water, shampoo, rinse, condition, rinse, detangle under water pressure from shower, then moisturize in sections and braid or twist my hair up...

Throughout the week, I don't do anything. I might apply oil once a week...

I wear my twists 2-4 weeks at a time but I alternate each week with twists then a twistout. For example, week 1 wear twists, week 2 wear a twistout, week 3 twist my hair up again, week 4 do a twistout again. I may either wash my hair after week 2 or week 4...

But now, I'm not doing twists anymore...I've been sportin my shrunken fro. :)

HTH!

Poohbear

natstar

Do you see more shed hairs when you wear two-strand twists versus other styles?-
No. I actually shed less when I wear this style because my hair doesn't get as tangled.

I take my twists down starting from the tip and work toward the root. I wear a twistout for a couple days. I then dampen my hair with water and prepoo my hair with Suave conditioner and Africa's Best Herbal Oil. I let this sit on my hair for like 15 to 30 minutes

I untwist (tip to root), preproo treatment (15-30 min) in 4 sections, shampoo in in 4 sections, condition or deep condition (in sections), then detangling under running water ( in sections)

I wear a scarf each night and sleep on a satin pillowcase. I do my twists weekly. I also use baggies at night to keep my ends moisturized

Week

I don't was w/twists in because my hair gets matted and detangling w/out losing a lot of hair is harder once I rinse w/my twists in.

Last edited:

babyblue

*not really

*I unravel them from the very ends up, then i gently fingercomb and separate any tangled strands

*untwist, prepoo, shampoo, deep condition, detangle, rinse.

*they can stay anywhere from 1-4 weeks at a time. if i wear them for more than one week i wash and condition with the twists in at least once a week. i may retwist the fuzzy areas as needed. i tie my hair up nightly.

*anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks depending on my mood and level of laziness/boredom etc.

*yes, i rinse my hair thoroughly with plain water then pour some diluted shampoo/water that i've mixed in a cup or pitcher and pour over my twists. i lather up focusing on the scalp then I rinse and condition. a little gel and smoothed through plus setting with a scarf helps the fuzzies lay down and help prolong the style.

Last edited:

balisi

The amount of shed hair may seem like a lot, but it's just normal shedding.

It's not much of a technique. I start untwisting at the nape. Once all twists are undone, I shampoo as normal in the shower.

Untwist, shampoo, condition, detangle.

I wear a satiny scarf or bonnet for sleeping. I sometimes band the lengths to keep the shrinkage to a minimum.

I have a hard time making them last longer than a week.

I did wash them once, but had to retwist them due to the resulting frizziness. I used diluted shampoo and gently manipulated only the scalp area. I also braided them for the krinkly effect in my avatar.

moda

Do you see more shed hairs when you wear two-strand twists versus other styles? No I did not have more shedding, it is actually less than when I wash n go daily

What techniques do you use when taking them down and detangling? I untwist each section, jump in the shower and wash only detangling when wet.

(i.e. prepoo, then untwist, add conditioner, detangle, then wash, then deep condition) Untwist, wet my hair, saturate with conditioner (shampoo if I have buildup) detangle

How do you maintain your twists? At night I either moisturize and put them in a ponytail and baggy the ends, or I sleep with a plastic cap on for added moisture.

How long do you normally wear them? 7-10 days

Do you wash them? If so, how? I co-wash regularly and then moisturize my hair and tie it down with a scarf to control frizzies.

brownsugarflyygirl

I just wanted to say thank you ladies for all your suggestions...I incorporated a little from each of you and my washing after twists process went a lot smoother. I had the same amount of shedding as I do with any other low manipulation style. I love learning from LHCF...

Hey back to you Poohbear :wave: