2013 MN Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang, why am I suddenly experiencing increased shedding again? UGH! The same thing happened the last time I took it MN but I was hoping it was the Nioxin withdrawal.

This is just one day of shedding/breakage:

I had the same amount yesterday. It's shedding and breaking (short and long hair). I'm going to clarify tomorrow and stop the MN to see if that is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I just washed yesterday and noticed I had very little shedding. Some things that have helped me with shedding are garlic oil pre-poo (works best but stinky as hell!) acv/tea rinses, aphogee 2step treatment, and recently I started to incorporate aloe Vera gel in my regimen again. It has done wonders!

Dang, why am I suddenly experiencing increased shedding again? UGH! The same thing happened the last time I took it MN but I was hoping it was the Nioxin withdrawal.

I had the same amount yesterday. It's shedding and breaking (short and long hair). I'm going to clarify tomorrow and stop the MN to see if that is the problem.

I hope it's not MN! My two preventative measures are tea rinses and keeping AE garlic mask in my rotation.

I'm thinking is making my own garlic mask as a cheaper alternative when the AE is gone, even though it will be smellier. Keep us posted'

Thanks ladies. I'm going to do a garlic prepoo today with AE Garlic Mask and Kyolic liquid aged garlic extract. It expired 10/2012 but I'm using it anyway. I'll apply it to my scalp only, fingers crossed because I don't want to end this challenge.

View attachment 187407

I almost always have a certain amount of shedding whenever I do my hair, but I too had excess shedding this past month of using MN. Freaked me out at first, but I tried to convince myself it was because of increased growth. My hair is much, much thicker right now too. I just got my hair washed, DC'ed and flat-ironed at the shop and hadn't had a problem since then.
I'll need to look up the garlic thing, just in case it comes back. I also noticed that whenever my hair is straight and I moisturize daily or Every other day, I get less breakage.

I almost always have a certain amount of shedding whenever I do my hair, but I too had excess shedding this past month of using MN. Freaked me out at first, but I tried to convince myself it was because of increased growth. My hair is much, much thicker right now too. I just got my hair washed, DC'ed and flat-ironed at the shop and hadn't had a problem since then.
I'll need to look up the garlic thing, just in case it comes back. I also noticed that whenever my hair is straight and I moisturize daily or Every other day, I get less breakage.

Thanks aliyah7. So you have no more shedding after your salon visit? Did your stylist do anything special to help with shedding?

I hate others have gone thru MN shedding but I'm glad I'm not alone. I really want to stick to the MN this time and be reactive and proactive on keeping the shedding to a minimum/normal range for me. Maybe this stuff does force the hair to cycle more rapidly. The telogen/rest phase (when the hair sheds) usually last two weeks, hopefully it'll be less seeing as the MN has the rapid effect, IDK. The anagen (growth phase) follows. If these garlic scalp treatments doesn't work, I'm going to seriously reconsider usage because I have fine/low density hair; I cannot afford to lose strands.

Last edited:
Thanks @aliyah7. So you have no more shedding after your salon visit? Did your stylist do anything special to help with shedding?

I hate others have gone thru MN shedding but I'm glad I'm not alone. I really want to stick to the MN this time and be reactive and proactive on keeping the shedding to a minimum/normal range for me. Maybe this stuff does force the hair to cycle more rapidly. The telogen/rest phase (when the hair sheds) usually last two weeks, hopefully it'll be less seeing as the MN has the rapid effect, IDK. The anagen (growth phase) follows. If these garlic scalp treatments doesn't work, I'm going to seriously reconsider usage because I have fine/low density hair; I cannot afford to lose strands.

I got my hair done on January 02.
Prior to getting my hair done, my hair was shedding so bad. I could just grab one of my twist, run my hands done it and strands would come out. This was before I actually took the twists out. And while combing I would also see little tiny broken ends (This was a shock; I never notice broken ends). My hair was also sooo thick it was very hard to comb through. It would knot and tangle real bad. This was very weird for me. I detangling my hair with a lot of Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In and a little Infusium 23. Hair was nicely moisturized for a few days til I got my hair done at shop. When I got to shop lady started taking down my twists, it was the same thing: Shedding, knotting & tangles. I am not tender headed but man it hurt.
I never told her my situation. She just washed my hair then made up some conditioner for my hair and I sat under dryer for about 20-25min. So far minimal shedding.
And just to clarify, this only occurred during the second month of using MN. The first month I had my hair flat-ironed and kept it straight(did not wash nor touch up with flat-iron). No excessive shedding that I noticed. But, the second month, I washed it and let it revert; Kept it kinky. That's when it all started happening.
So, now, I want to keep my hair straight until I wash and try and keep ends moisturized daily, although they need cutting.
Sorry for the essay. It feels good to get it out though. LOL!

Duplicate posted my pics.

So I will use this spot to say, I'm glad everyone is paying special attention to your hair during this time. If anything is putting your hair's health, stop or change your application method.

Welcome to all new members...keep coming and keep growing:grin:

Last edited:
Hi! I am a long time lurker and finally decided to subscribe today because of this post. My hair was BSL length yesterday. And an unfortunate incident happened. Now I am at about ear length. :perplexed
I would like to join in this challenge. I know I am about 6 days late, but hopefully I catch up to you guys.
BTW, I am relaxed, and I would like to attain BSL or longer by august. Not sure if this is realist, but I am motivated to get my hair to grow longer and stronger.

I will post pictures after. :drunk:

What is your current length? A little longer than ear length
Is this your first time using MN or how long have you used in MN? YES!
How will you use your MN (directly/mixed)? Water/Extra Virgin Coconut oil
What frequency will you apply it? 5 times a week
Any other growth aids that you are using? Not right now
Anything else you care to add? I will try to wear a protective hairstyle
Don't forget a starting pic!

Last edited:
Hello all! I'm kinda new to the forum. Signed up a while back but have only been here a few times. I'm following this thread to get mixture ideas and see you ladies results and experiences. I just began using MN this week but I am not using it as a growth aid but as a treatment for seborrheic dermatitis. The first night I tried I got a horrible headache but I figured I didn't dilute it enough so today after reading and watching YT videos I tried a different mixture. I used water, olive oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil, and tea tree oil. I mixed a small batch in an applicator bottle kinda worried about how long it will last without going bad. I plan to use it every other night in the beginning. So far no headache. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

[USER=347179]randi415[/USER];17647847 said:
Hello all! I'm kinda new to the forum. Signed up a while back but have only been here a few times. I'm following this thread to get mixture ideas and see you ladies results and experiences. I just began using MN this week but I am not using it as a growth aid but as a treatment for seborrheic dermatitis. The first night I tried I got a horrible headache but I figured I didn't dilute it enough so today after reading and watching YT videos I tried a different mixture. I used water, olive oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil, and tea tree oil. I mixed a small batch in an applicator bottle kinda worried about how long it will last without going bad. I plan to use it every other night in the beginning. So far no headache. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Hi!!! How much MN is in your mix and how often so you plan to use it?

Checking in. I oiled my scalped with mn mix last night. Proceeded to wrap hair after applying oil to the hair itself.

I'm also protective styling with braids right now so I am hoping to get the ultimate growth and reach MBL before the second length check in.

I think I'd like to join this challenge after all. Although I didn't plan on using MN as a growth aid I may as well track my growth since I'll be using it and following thus thread regularly. WTS may I pls join you ladies?

What is your current length?
A little below collarbone. Haven't done a length check in a while

Is this your first time using MN or how long have you used in MN?
This will be my first time.

How will you use your MN (directly/mixed)?
I made a small mixture of MN, water, olive oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil, and tea tree oil. When I finish this mix I plan onmixing it w/ Beija flor scalp elixer.

What frequency will you apply it?
I'm going to start off with every night (if I can remember) for at least 2wks, then I'll do every other night, and then 2-3 a week

Any other growth aids that you are using?
No other growth aids, but I am pregnant so I'm taking prenatal vitamins that I plan to continue taking after I deliver.

Anything else you care to add?
Mainly using MN to treat my scalp dermatitis. I have heard women w/ this condition have had great results and nothing else seems to work for me.

Don't forget a starting pic!
My hair is in a PS right now but I will take some pics this weekend when I take it down

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back