2016 Christian Random Thoughts

delitefulmane

Is it necessary to pray over and over for the same thing (like when someone is sick, your desire for something)? Does it mean you lack faith when pray for something you have already asked God to do or is it in line with the scripture that says, "the effectual fervent prayer of the righteous availeth much"?

My hubby and I had this convo and I want another take before I share what I told him.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Boy was I insulted today! Deliberately insulted. Not-so-Freudian slip. When people tell you who they are, believe them. All for Christ, too.

mz.rae

It's so interesting to me how at this new church me and SO have kind of switched places. At our old church my SO was the social butterfly, the Pastor and everyone seemed to gravitate towards him. Whereas I felt like I was an outcast and couldnt really connect with anyone. At our new church I feel like I am fitting in more, making friends, and really feel connected to what's going on. On the other hand my SO though still more socialable than me seems to be more in the back seat.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hi @delitefulmane,

I'd love to hear what the others have to say about repeated prayers as well, but from my understanding, Jesus had instructed us not to pray to be seen or to repeat empty words but to pray to Our Father according to His will, whether it's a 2 word prayer or a hour-long petition.

I believe two things could happen from persistent prayer - either God grants us the desire of our heart in His time, because it's in line with His will, or He will removes the desire from us. An answer is either a "yes" or "no" . Much different from getting the definite Yes that we seek because it's what we WANT (of our own will) Remember, His Promise is to provide our NEEDS and the needs of those we're praying for, not our wants (our will) So I guess the question is would you be persistent in prayer if (with help from the Holy Spirit) the you already received no as the answer ?

Also, I believe prayer to be more than petitioning, it's a two-way communication, with Him speaking to our hearts and we have the Holy Spirit to help us.

HTH

Is it necessary to pray over and over for the same thing (like when someone is sick, your desire for something)? Does it mean you lack faith when pray for something you have already asked God to do or is it in line with the scripture that says, "the effectual fervent prayer of the righteous availeth much"?

My hubby and I had this convo and I want another take before I share what I told him.

Belle Du Jour

Might I recommend reading No Price Too High? It's the story of a black former Pentecostal preacher who converted to Catholicism after delving deeper into the history of Christianity. Once he realized that his modern-day Protestant church looked nothing like the Christian church established by Jesus Christ and the apostles, and he started making changes within his own the church, he realized that what he though he knew was wrong.

I don't think there's anything wrong with praying for the same thing consistently. Plus my prayer for X is never exactly the same. As I continue to grow spiritually and time goes on my prayer evolves.

Lucia

1 Thess 5:16-18

16 Rejoice always,17 pray without ceasing,18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Eph 6:18

praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.

Lucia

Hi @delitefulmane,

I'd love to hear what the others have to say about repeated prayers as well, but from my understanding, Jesus had instructed us not to pray to be seen or to repeat empty words but to pray to Our Father according to His will, whether it's a 2 word prayer or a hour-long petition.

I believe two things could happen from persistent prayer - either God grants us the desire of our heart in His time, because it's in line with His will, or He will removes the desire from us. An answer is either a "yes" or "no" . Much different from getting the definite Yes that we seek because it's what we WANT (of our own will) Remember, His Promise is to provide our NEEDS and the needs of those we're praying for, not our wants (our will) So I guess the question is would you be persistent in prayer if (with help from the Holy Spirit) the you already received no as the answer ?

Also, I believe prayer to be more than petitioning, it's a two-way communication, with Him speaking to our hearts and we have the Holy Spirit to help us.

HTH

@Laela
Can you list the scripture in the Bible where it says Jesus instructed us not to pray repeating empty words ?
Also Do you or have you ever prayed the Our Father prayer? Or Psalm 23?
Please tell me where it says in the Bible that I shouldn't use and repeat prayers written by others who have come up with more eloquent prayers than I can?

Last edited:

kanozas

@Lucia I think that non-catholics do not comprehend the litany nor its purpose. I also believe that the admonishment is based upon pagan practices during those times. I'm wondering why that drive-by post and no further response. I mean, you can't just come and slap someone, falsely accusing them for something they have not done and then offer NO explanations just because somebody else "gossips" that catholics are this/that. I always say, go to the source! Shrugs. :look: That is highly disingenuous but maybe that's it...when there is an answer correcting the error and misconception in respect, it is not received because that person had an agenda. But goodness, we resolved this ages ago and here it is, regurgitated again. On purpose and contrary to the purpose and rules of the CF, in a spirit of confusion :( . Shrugs. What can you do? LOL.

Matthew 6:7 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Here is a very good blog about it with apologetics on why we pray the rosary which is meditation. It is not vain repetition because it comes from the heart and is chock full of scripture. Please also read the comments because they mirror what is being asked and plain assumed here. Very good one.

http://www.catholic.com/blog/tim-staples/do-catholics-pray-vain-repetitions

Excerpt:

Our Lord was here praying for hours and saying "the same words." Is this “vain repetition?”

And not only do we have our Lord praying repetitious prayer, but he also commends it. In Luke 18:1-14, we read:

And he told them a parable, to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. He said, "In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor regarded man; and there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, "Vindicate me against my adversary." For a while he refused; but afterward he said to himself, "Though I neither fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow bothers me, I will vindicate her, or she will wear me out by her continual coming." And the Lord said, "Hear what the unrighteous judge says. And will not God vindicate his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? I tell you, he will vindicate them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?" He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and despised others: "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, "God, I thank thee that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I get." But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, "God, be merciful to me a sinner!" I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Final Thoughts

Would any wife tell her husband, “Hey knock it off! You’ve already told me you loved me three times today! I don’t want to hear it any more!” I think not! The key here is that the words are from the heart, not the number of times they are said. I think that is Jesus’ emphasis. There are some words, like “I love you,” or like the “Our Father,” or the “Hail, Mary,” that you really can’t improve upon. The key is that we truly enter into the words so that they are coming from our hearts.

For those who do not know, the Rosary is not about "mindless repetition" so that God will hear us. We repeat the prayers of the Rosary to be sure, but we do so in order that we may keep our focus while we meditate upon the most important mysteries of the Faith. I find it to be a wonderful way for me to be able to focus on the Lord.

Last edited:

kanozas

Looking back, someone said that they couldn't believe how stupid christians are to believe that Jesus is G-d and that He came down from heaven as a man, died and rose again. The christian said, "and you expect me to believe that Moses parted the Red Sea?" LOL. I guess it's all "nonsense" until you know it by faith as truth. When I think of Our Lady, I used to have a problem with that until I found it to be true. If she can appear on a cactus fibre cloak and it be preserved for hundreds of years now, inspiring many to faith in G-d, then seems to me that Jesus being G-d is more of a stretch of faith. The cloak is easy compared to the sacrifice of the Lamb. Shrugs.

Galadriel

@Laela
Can you list the scripture in the Bible where it says Jesus instructed us not to pray repeating empty words ?
Please tell me where it says in the Bible that I shouldn't use and repeat prayers written by others who have come up with more eloquent prayers than I can?

As an undergrad in college I studied Classical Greek & Greco-Roman literature and philosophy, which definitely gives insight into their religious beliefs and practices in antiquity. They believed that using certain language and style in their invocation, that their prayers would be heard but they didn't often change the language and style because they did not want to draw attention to themselves personally--look at the Greek and Roman mythological literature--the last thing you wanted was one of the Greco-Roman gods to zoom in and focus on *you.* Thus the prayer formulas were simple, repetitive, respectful but not too flashy. It lacked personal relationship.

This is the type of prayer that the Greeks and Romans employed, but this was not the type of prayer employed by Jews and Christians. For Judeo-Christianity, God is a personal God who *seeks* a relationship with us. He calls us each by name, He wants us to know Him personally. Thus our prayers will have differing language and style according to our needs and our spiritual growth as we walk with Him. The book of Psalms is a great example of this. As mentioned in another post, Jesus Christ Himself teaches us the "Our Father" prayer, and believe me, Christians all over the world have recited the "Our Father" more than once in their lifetime, so is that vain repetition? Certainly not.

This is what I mean when I said a lot of criticism or attack of Catholicism is borne of ignorance. You'll notice in these attacks a stark ignorance of history and historical context, as well as what the Church actually professes and teaches.

Who do you think put the books of the Bible together? Baptists and Lutherans and SDA didn't exist in 200's AD or 300's AD. The Christians who existed in the 100's AD, 200's AD, 300's AD--how much do you want to bet people who like to attack Catholicism have not studied or read the documents, history, and theology from these centuries? Protestantism didn't exist until the 1500's, which means that Laela would have to argue that Christians weren't "really" Christians for one thousand four hundred years. MOST Christians who have ever lived on this planet belong(ed) to the Catholic Church. This isn't a slam against our Protestant brothers and sisters, but rather I'm trying to put into context that when a person wants to come out swinging saying "Catholicism is false, it's not Christianity," that they are basically condemning most Christians on the planet, both living and dead.

Did you know that in the 4th Century, we have this amazing Catholic bishop to thank, who was exiled and almost killed for upholding the truth that Jesus Christ is both True God and True Man? That bishop's name is Athanasius. But according to Laela, he's not even a Christian, because he was a Catholic.

Who upheld the doctrine of the Trinity? Because the word TRINITY or explicit explanation of THE TRINITY is not in Scripture, so according to Laela, I guess we ought to abandon the doctrine of the Trinity because of this. So, you see, simply saying, "That word isn't in Scripture, or it's not explicitly defined in Scripture" is not a good reason to proclaim something as un-Christian or un-Biblical. In fact, the idea that something HAS to be in Scripture in order for us to uphold or believe it is NOT even in Scripture. In fact, you'll find that the Apostles themselves communicated teachings and truths that weren't written in Scripture or was communicated orally. There's one letter of Paul the Apostle that did not make it into the Bible because it is simply lost to us in history. We know it existed because Paul mentions its existence (in one of his canonical letters which we DO have in the Bible), but Paul, as well as the other Apostles, relied on teaching orally, by personal example, and through Scripture (i.e., the Greek translation of the Old Testament). Remember, the first Gospel wasn't written until 40 years after Jesus' resurrection--so were Christians hanging out waiting for doctrine for 40 years? No. The Apostles taught mostly orally, and when the Gospels and Epistles (letters) came along, Christians accepted them as part of the Apostles' Deposit of Faith. We need BOTH the Apostles' writings (New Testament) and their Tradition (Oral Teachings and Examples).

kanozas

A.
Did you know that in the 4th Century, we have this amazing Catholic bishop to thank, who was exiled and almost killed for upholding the truth that Jesus Christ is both True God and True Man? That bishop's name is Athanasius. But according to Laela, he's not even a Christian, because he was a Catholic.

Who upheld the doctrine of the Trinity? Because the word TRINITY or explicit explanation of THE TRINITY is not in Scripture, so according to Laela, I guess we ought to abandon the doctrine of the Trinity because of this. So, you see, simply saying, "That word isn't in Scripture, or it's not explicitly defined in Scripture" is not a good reason to proclaim something as un-Christian or un-Biblical. In fact, the idea that something HAS to be in Scripture in order for us to uphold or believe it is NOT even in Scripture. In fact, you'll find that the Apostles themselves communicated teachings and truths that weren't written in Scripture or was communicated orally. There's one letter of Paul the Apostle that did not make it into the Bible because it is simply lost to us in history. We know it existed because Paul mentions its existence (in one of his canonical letters which we DO have in the Bible), but Paul, as well as the other Apostles, relied on teaching orally, by personal example, and through Scripture (i.e., the Greek translation of the Old Testament). Remember, the first Gospel wasn't written until 40 years after Jesus' resurrection--so were Christians hanging out waiting for doctrine for 40 years? No. The Apostles taught mostly orally, and when the Gospels and Epistles (letters) came along, Christians accepted them as part of the Apostles' Deposit of Faith. We need BOTH the Apostles' writings (New Testament) and their Tradition (Oral Teachings and Examples).

!!!
I'd like to add that this is in Jewish tradition - oral, handed-down tradition from Moses to Aaron and onward, just as Jesus handed down holy tradition to the disciples. They were all Jews then. At some point, believers in Jesus as the Messiah were thrown out of the synagogue.

Another interesting thing I'd like to add from my personal experience is the concept of the Holy Trinity. As I pray my rosary, the guidelines for the mysteries tell me that the Holy Trinity was manifested when Jesus was baptized as the voice from the Father in Heaven was heard as the Holy Spirit descended upon the Son. My eyes were opened up to this a few short months ago. I know it to be true but I hadn't thought much on it.

I hope we find Paul's lost document. Not too long ago, we found a supposed letter (on stone) written to the community from St. Gabriel? I tend to believe it.

Last edited:

mz.rae

People are interesting, it's always interesting how people tend to view their pasts with rose colored glasses myself included. As I looking at thread post dating back to 2005 on the Christian forum, I began to think on my life and how much "better" it was back then. But was it really better! I then thought about 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 and felt those time periods were "better" as well. Pretty much anything that wasn't now was "better". But then I was thinking about the person I was back then, I was miserable, vulnerable, and naive. I spent a lot of that time in a relationship I was probably not supposed to be in, depressed, feeling bad about myself, not feeling worthy, and being taken advantage of. Probably the only real thing about that time period that could be messed was my carefreeness, that I was more open to others. But other than that there really wasn't anything worthwhile to miss.

I feel my greatest downfall at looking at now and thinking the past was so much better is the fact I compare myself too much. I compare myself to others and what they have going on. I compare myself to the person that I thought I would be by now. I compare myself to my younger cousins and am envious of the fact that they are graduating high school and get to start from scratch. Whereas I feel that I just wasted so much time on people and things that didn't matter and can't go back.

I do feel I still battle with depression from time to time because of that fact. But I do feel confidence about myself now that I didn't have back then. A lot of the stuff I tolerated back then I know for a fact I wouldn't tolerate now. I just wish that I was a stronger person back then, and then maybe I would be further a long in life.

Laela

Matthew 6:7
I believe the virtue isn't there if it's just being repeated for show and not said sincerely.... not the repeating of the prayer itself. Only God would know the sincerity of the heart.. but a good example of this type of sincerity is witnessing when s a young child is taught to pray by having them repeating prayers/scripture, etc. (not that adults aren't sincere.. lol) It's just the purity of it...

@Laela

kanozas

I do feel I still battle with depression from time to time because of that fact. But I do feel confidence about myself now that I didn't have back then. A lot of the stuff I tolerated back then I know for a fact I wouldn't tolerate now. I just wish that I was a stronger person back then, and then maybe I would be further a long in life.

You are right where you're supposed to be. People are rushing all day long and like the tortoise and the hare, they will end up where they're supposed to be at the appointed time. Don't beat yourself up over those comparisons. We all have regrets. What can you do about it? Nothing. This is now. You have the great blessing of today and none of us know the future so relish this time now. You'll make it. Crush those feelings and determine for yourself that you're not going to listen to those feelings of inadequacy. I know exactly what some of that is myself. You just can't feel it for long. I have to look upwards because He knows. He's got you!:bighug:

Last edited:

kanozas

I believe the virtue isn't there if it's just being repeated for show and not said sincerely.... not the repeating of the prayer itself. Only God would know the sincerity of the heart.. but a good example of this type of sincerity is witnessing when s a young child is taught to pray by having them repeating prayers/scripture, etc. (not that adults aren't sincere.. lol) It's just the purity of it...

Did you realize that article says that catholics (all) pray in vain repetitions? The rosary is vain repetition? Surely, you don't mean to say that by posting that bunch of bulltwinks lol. So, I'm wondering if the author of that article has ever prayed the rosary or if anyone else who truly believes that has prayed the rosary, or the litanies, novenas , the liturgy of the mass or any of the chaplets and other prayers etc. because if they have not, they cannot truthfully conclude that it's vain repetition. .

Lucia

@Laela

Laela post^^

"What is the origin of the Catholic Church?"
"Answer: The Roman Catholic Church contends that its origin is the death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ in approximately AD 30. The Catholic Church proclaims itself to be the church that Jesus Christ died for, the church that was established and built by the apostles. Is that the true origin of the Catholic Church? On the contrary. Even a cursory reading of the New Testament will reveal that the Catholic Church does not have its origin in the teachings of Jesus or His apostles. "

1. Where are the scriptures to backup this statement? It just vaguely says the New Testament says, but there's no specific scriptural references to back up this particular interpretation made on scripture.

2. To make a claim for or against origin (and authority) you must first know the line of succession of both the Catholic Church and your own denomination, or non-denomination. Then state you're rebuttal with references to back your interpretation up. So we need a little trip down history lane.
Now it's a fact that all of Protestanism started around 1500s in the Reformation with later off shoots and derivatives and variations of the original reformation founding fathers to the tune of 30,000 + denominations including the non-denominations we have now.

Before the Reformation there was no Protestant church or any Protetant off shoots, there was one Church the Church that Jesus Christ founded himself on earth. To make a finer point Protestants literally came out of actually broke with the Catholic Church we share the same early Christian Church fathers such as St Irenaeus, St. Augustine, St Ignatius, etc to name a few. You don't have to take my word for it look it up yourself.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Fathers

http://www.staycatholic.com/about_the_early_fathers.htm

The Reformation short list Martin Luther, John Calvin, Ulrich Zwingli, a little later King Henry VIII we all know broke with the Catholic Church directly using ideas of Luther and other reformists along with their support to claim his right to divorce Queen Catherine (née Princesa Catalina de Aragon) and marry Anne Boleyn. He had other reasons but that was the main reason. He then proceeded to proclaim himself the Supreme Head of the Church of England, declared it treason not to recognize him as the head of Gods Church on earth, and began a blood bath that continued with his children. But that's aside back to the topic at hand.

Ref
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Head_of_the_Church_of_England

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en.../apologetics/whos-who-in-the-reformation.html

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/figure1.pdf

-We as Catholics believe that Jesus Christ fully God and fully man instituted His Church here on earth.

Matthew 16:18 Jesus said "Upon this rock, I will, build my Church."

-A Church who's people became known as Christians because they as we believe we do follow the teachings of Christ. When the original (minus Judas) apostles went out into the world to preach the gospel we became known as In Greek katholikos meaning universal Latin catholicus derived from the Greek word.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_term_"Catholic"

Laela post^^

"In the New Testament, there is no mention of the papacy, worship/adoration of Mary (or the immaculate conception of Mary, the perpetual virginity of Mary, the assumption of Mary, or Mary as co-redemptrix and mediatrix), petitioning saints in heaven for their prayers, apostolic succession, the ordinances of the church functioning as sacraments, infant baptism, confession of sin to a priest, purgatory, indulgences, or the equal authority of church tradition and Scripture. So, if the origin of the Catholic Church is not in the teachings of Jesus and His apostles, as recorded in the New Testament, what is the true origin of the Catholic Church?"

-There's a lot in this paragraph jumbled all together so let's take this in parts.
1. The Papacy
2. Mary adoration/worship
3. Mary immaculate conception
4. Mary her perpetual virginity
5. The assumption of Mary
6. Mary as co-redemptrix and mediatrix
7. Sacraments (which include Baptism, Eucharist/Holy Communion, Confession/Penance/Reconciliation, Confirmation, Holy Matrimony, Holy Orders, Anointing of the Sick)
8. Authority of Church tradition and Scripture

-Which one of these topics above are you totally against is it all of them or certain doctrines?

-Part I
1. The Papacy
If you're looking for the actual word Pope or Papacy in the Bible there probably wasn't an actual word for that term. Pope is English for Latin Papa meaning father. But that doesn't mean that the office didn't exist. The authority of Peter was well established by Jesus himself and the other apostles never questioned it, just cause the title or word Pope came later that does not automatically diminish Peters authority.

-Let's expand that verse above Mathew 16:13-18

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.18 And I tell you that you are Peter,[a] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[b] will not overcome it.

-Peter translated from the Greek Petra means rock. So Jesus basically said you are rock and on this rock I will build my church and blessed him.

Now here's another important verse after Jesus singles Peter out and blesses him, He then gives Peter the keys to Kingdom. In ancient times being given the keys to the city gates was very important and set that person apart from the others especially in Jewish tradition and especially where Jesus choose to impart these gifts on Peter. Now the keys aren't given to the other apostles, why? Because Peter has been set apart and given a position of authority over the other apostles and other men in the Kingdom of Jesus here on earth and in heaven.

Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Matthew 10:1-4

10 Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; and [a]James the son of Zebedee, and [b]John his brother; 3 Philip and [c]Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; [d]James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the [e]Zealot, and Judas Iscariot, the one who betrayed Him.

Luke 22:31-33

Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; 32but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."33But he said to Him, "Lord, with You I am ready to go both to prison and to death!"

-Peter walked on water with Jesus

Mathew 14:22-33

22 Immediately He [a]made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side, while He sent the crowds away. 23 After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone. 24 But the boat was already [b]a long distance from the land, [c]battered by the waves; for the wind was [d]contrary. 25 And in the [e]fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea. 26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out [f]in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”

28 Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” 29 And He said, “Come!”And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and *said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 When they got into the boat, the wind stopped. 33 And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “You are certainly God’s Son!”

---------

"There is ample evidence in the New Testament that Peter was first in authority among the apostles. Whenever they were named, Peter headed the list (Matt. 10:1-4, Mark 3:16-19, Luke 6:14-16, Acts 1:13); sometimes the apostles were referred to as "Peter and those who were with him" (Luke 9:32). Peter was the one who generally spoke for the apostles (Matt. 18:21, Mark 8:29, Luke 12:41, John 6:68-69), and he figured in many of the most dramatic scenes (Matt. 14:28-32, Matt. 17:24-27, Mark 10:23-28). On Pentecost it was Peter who first preached to the crowds (Acts 2:14-40), and he worked the first healing in the Church age (Acts 3:6-7). It is Peter’s faith that will strengthen his brethren (Luke 22:32) and Peter is given Christ’s flock to shepherd (John 21:17). An angel was sent to announce the resurrection to Peter (Mark 16:7), and the risen Christ first appeared to Peter (Luke 24:34). He headed the meeting that elected Matthias to replace Judas (Acts 1:13-26), and he received the first converts (Acts 2:41). He inflicted the first punishment (Acts 5:1-11), and excommunicated the first heretic (Acts 8:18-23). He led the first council in Jerusalem (Acts 15), and announced the first dogmatic decision (Acts 15:7-11). It was to Peter that the revelation came that Gentiles were to be baptized and accepted as Christians (Acts 10:46-48)"

Ref

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/peter-and-the-papacy
Line of succession of the Popes from St Peter to today
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

• St. Zachary (741-52) Stephen II followed Zachary, but because he died before being consecrated, modern lists omit him
  • Benedict IX (1032-45) He appears on this list three separate times, because he was twice deposed and restored
  • Sylvester III (1045) Considered by some to be an antipope
  • Paschal II (1099-1118) Opposed by Theodoric (1100), Aleric (1102) and Maginulf ("Sylvester IV", 1105-1111), antipopes (1100)
  • Benedict XV (1914-22) Biographies of Benedict XV and his successors will be added at a later date
  • Pius XI (1922-39)
  • Pius XII (1939-58)
  • St. John XXIII (1958-63)
  • Paul VI (1963-78)
  • John Paul I (1978)
  • St. John Paul II (1978-2005)
  • Benedict XVI (2005-2013)
  • Francis (2013-
I will go into why authority and succession are important later. As well as Mary this post is getting long I will continue in a new post.

Now my question to you is where in the bible does it refute the authority of Peter?

Last edited:

Lucia

I believe the virtue isn't there if it's just being repeated for show and not said sincerely.... not the repeating of the prayer itself.
Only God would know the sincerity of the heart.. but a good example of this type of sincerity is witnessing when s a young child is taught to pray by having them repeating prayers/scripture, etc. (not that adults aren't sincere.. lol) It's just the purity of it...

Mathew 6:7
And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

Now what I'm getting from your post and correct me if this is not your intention.
Is that if one comes up with an original prayer somehow that prayer is automatically sincere and from the heart?

I agree a prayer shouldn't be said for show in order that others will see someone praying and say oh isn't he righteous or if a prayer is learned repeated format that doesn't automatically exclude that repeated prayer from being sincere and from the heart. Purity of prayer doesn't depend on whether someone comes up with their own prayer or uses structured repeated prayer. Also I agree that only God knows the true sincerity of the heart.
Here's my take on repetitive structured prayer if someone has already been inspired by the Holy Spirit to create a prayer and we follow that prayer that we have testimony of its fruitfulness.
it's like when you have a company and have certain methods procedures on how to do things more efficiently that have been proven to work. I may or may not leave out some little details or some very important things in my own created prayer so I use the manner of addressing God that has already been provided and proven to work. I believe we must pray with rightly ordered intention and focus on what or whom were praying for.

Mathew 6:1-7

1 Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven

2 “So when you [a]give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your [c]giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

5 “When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners [d]so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
7 “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.

When you look at the context of Matt 6:1-6 sets the atmosphere for verse 7 especially verses 1 and 5.
I think this passage 1-7 isn't so much condemning repetition or structured prayer as it is condemning the practice of doing things only for show, or vanity sake or in vain like the hypocrites. There is no meaning behind what they do except to serve self to be seen, not so much glorify or praise God sort of like going through the motions. Something one can do whether an original prayer or structured repeated prayer. Because God knows the true nature of our hearts and why we do what we do regardless of what the outward appearance might be. We may be able to fool everyone around us but not God.

Now again in Matthew 6:9 we are taught by Jesus to pray a structured prayer: the Lords Prayer.

If God didn't want us to repeat prayers or use structured prayers, then why would Jesus teach his disciples this prayer for them to repeat and pass down the generations (traditions) to be repeated by all Christians?

8“So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

9“Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.

10‘Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.

11‘Give us this day our daily bread.

12‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’]
14“For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15“But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

BTW we have a thread for discussion on all things Catholic it's the Q and A

https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/catholic-q-a-discussion-all-welcome.761527/

Last edited:

Lucia

This is what I mean when I said a lot of criticism or attack of Catholicism is borne of ignorance. You'll notice in these attacks a stark ignorance of history and historical context, as well as what the Church actually professes and teaches.

Who do you think put the books of the Bible together? Baptists and Lutherans and SDA didn't exist in 200's AD or 300's AD. The Christians who existed in the 100's AD, 200's AD, 300's AD--how much do you want to bet people who like to attack Catholicism have not studied or read the documents, history, and theology from these centuries? Protestantism didn't exist until the 1500's, which means that Laela would have to argue that Christians weren't "really" Christians for one thousand four hundred years. MOST Christians who have ever lived on this planet belong(ed) to the Catholic Church. This isn't a slam against our Protestant brothers and sisters, but rather I'm trying to put into context that when a person wants to come out swinging saying "Catholicism is false, it's not Christianity," that they are basically condemning most Christians on the planet, both living and dead.

Thank You, Well said.

mz.rae

Did you realize that article says that catholics (all) pray in vain repetitions? The rosary is vain repetition? Surely, you don't mean to say that by posting that bunch of bulltwinks lol. So, I'm wondering if the author of that article has ever prayed the rosary or if anyone else who truly believes that has prayed the rosary, or the litanies, novenas , the liturgy of the mass or any of the chaplets and other prayers etc. because if they have not, they cannot truthfully conclude that it's vain repetition. .
Thank you so much kanozas!! I really do appreciate what you said, I am starting to feel a little better. I'm just going to take one step at a time.

LiftedUp

Thanks. I had an issue regarding a person 6 years ago and asked God to show me who this person really is/their true intentions. I got the answer same night I believe. Like cold hard facts. That person has returned in my life and in prayer I asked God the same question last night. Again, I was directed to the answer that same night with cold hard facts. Both times I was left in extreme emotional pain (as I am feeling now). I just want to know why is this person keep coming in my life with the same issue. There is a lesson somewhere here that I'm clearly not getting. From what I understand, I will keep going through this situation over and over again until I learn the lesson to be learned. I just need to get it ASAP lol.

I saw the priest today (finally) and boy am I happy! All I advice I got from friends regarding this issue is moot! Everyone I spoke to was like just forget it, drop it etc. I spoke to the priest regarding a range of issues and I left this for last in my itemized list and gave a vague short statement. He paused, looked at me, paused, looked out the window, looked at me and was like "is he really that special". I was like :eek::busted:. He addressed this issue first! I am happy I spoke with him. I'm going to continue praying on it and praying for all involved. Father will be praying for me too. I am also happy that my feelings are now validated because everyone was trying to make me believe that I'm crazy.

Also he gave me more relationship advice regarding marriage and wanting to be married etc. It's nothing we haven't heard before but basically to focus on God, and he threw in education there as well, and to let him (the guy) find you. He said that we women are making ourselves too available and to stop it. He also said that becoming one's wife is one of the greatest honours and we should also be preparing ourselves for that in the interim. He also spoke on family life etc.

He was awesome! I'm so happy that I wanted to share with people who I know will get it :)

eta: He also said that I am allowing past issues that happened to other people cloud my judgement and I'm hinging my feelings on that. He also told me to have face to face conversations and not on the phone :lol:

Lucia

I saw the priest today (finally) and boy am I happy! All I advice I got from friends regarding this issue is moot! Everyone I spoke to was like just forget it, drop it etc. I spoke to the priest regarding a range of issues and I left this for last in my itemized list and gave a vague short statement. He paused, looked at me, paused, looked out the window, looked at me and was like "is he really that special". I was like :eek::busted:. He addressed this issue first! I am happy I spoke with him. I'm going to continue praying on it and praying for all involved. Father will be praying for me too. I am also happy that my feelings are now validated because everyone was trying to make me believe that I'm crazy.

Also he gave me more relationship advice regarding marriage and wanting to be married etc. It's nothing we haven't heard before but basically to focus on God, and he threw in education there as well, and to let him (the guy) find you. He said that we women are making ourselves too available and to stop it. He also said that becoming one's wife is one of the greatest honours and we should also be preparing ourselves for that in the interim. He also spoke on family life etc.

He was awesome! I'm so happy that I wanted to share with people who I know will get it :)

eta: He also said that I am allowing past issues that happened to other people cloud my judgement and I'm hinging my feelings on that. He also told me to have face to face conversations and not on the phone :lol:

:amen:

Great advice
Thanks for sharing.

Laela

The Scripture I posted was at the request of Lucia and I posted all the translations for THAT Scripture. Of course, I knew the article was about Catholics when I posted it - those are two different things because that Scripture applies to all. I don't know much about the author but I believe most of what the article said, which is why I posted it in the first place. Much like Catholics do not believe what Seven Day Adventists and charismatics and other denominations believe, Christians from those denominations also have a right to post their beliefs on this board without any backlash.

This isn't about any one person so I won't take it personally. Not all Christians are Catholics and not all Catholics consider themselves Christian. Because no one says anything when Catholics bash other denominations doesn't mean what's been going on is right.

For the record - I do not believe the Catholic Church as it is today is the Church - the Body of Christ includes anyone who accepts Jesus as their Lord and Savior, period. If they are not Catholic, that does not mean they are not a part of the True Church. This is something that has been repeated on here without regard to other Christians who visit the CF. I'm not afraid to speak up on this because that is what I believe.

Laela

What is Seventh-day Adventism, and what do Seventh-day Adventists believe?

Question: "What is Seventh-day Adventism (SDA), and what do Seventh-day Adventists believe?"

Answer:
There seem to be different "degrees" of Seventh-day Adventism. Some Seventh-day Adventists believe identically to orthodox Christians, other than believing that worship should be held on Saturday and that the Saturday Sabbath should still be observed. If these are the only differences, then, yes, a person could be a Seventh-day Adventist and still be a true believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.

However, some Seventh-day Adventists believe in much more than a Saturday Sabbath / worship day. Seventh-day Adventists have been known to believe in the annihilation of the wicked instead of an eternal hell, and believe that believers who die enter a state of soul sleep and that a person must observe the Saturday Sabbath in order to be saved. Other problems with some Seventh-day Adventists are belief in Ellen G. White, the founder of Seventh-day Adventism, as a true prophet of God, even though many of her "prophecies" failed to come true, and that Jesus entered a second phase of His redemptive work on October 22, 1844, as "prophesied" by Hiram Edson.

So, what is Seventh-day Adventism, and what do Seventh-day Adventists believe? Should a Christian attend a Seventh-day Adventist church? Due to the potential doctrinal issues mentioned above, we would strongly encourage believers to not get involved in Seventh-day Adventism. Yes, a person can be an advocate of Seventh-day Adventism and still be a believer. At the same time, there are enough potential issues to make attending a Seventh-day Adventist church questionable at best.

Recommended Resources: Are Seventh-Day Adventists False Prophets? A Former Insider Speaks Out by Wallace Slattery and Logos Bible Software.

Laela

Question: "What is Messianic Judaism?"

Answer:
Messianic Judaism is the term given to Jewish people who believe and have accepted Yeshua (the Hebrew name for Jesus) of Nazareth as the promised Messiah of the Hebrew Scriptures. These Jewish people do not stop being Jewish, but they continue to remain strong in their Jewish identity, lifestyle and culture, while following Yeshua as He is revealed in the Brit Chadashah, the New Covenant. Many Messianic Jews refer to themselves as “completed Jews,” since they believe that their faith in the God of Israel has been “completed” or fulfilled in Yeshua.

In reality, Messianic Judaism began 2,000 years ago. Yeshua Himself was an observant Jew, most of the Apostles and writers of the New Covenant were Jewish, and the vast majority of the early believers in Yeshua were also Jewish (see Acts chapter 2).

Traditional rabbinical Judaism today does not believe that Yeshua is the Jewish Messiah. Observant Jews are still waiting faithfully in accordance with the Rambam’s (Rabbi Moses Maimonides, 1134-1204) “Thirteen Principles of Jewish Faith,” which states in Principle 12, “I believe with perfect faith in the coming of the Messiah. However long it takes, I will await His coming every day.” Most secular Jews do not believe in the physical coming of a personal Messiah, but some still look forward to a general Messianic concept or Messianic Age.

Today, it is estimated that there are over 350,000 Messianic Jews in the world, and the numbers are growing all the time. Messianic synagogues have also become very popular, and recent estimates number more than 200 congregations in this country. There are also many Messianic congregations in Israel and around the world.

Messianic Jews continue to celebrate the Jewish festivals and feast days as prescribed in the Hebrew Scriptures (i.e., Passover, Day of Atonement, etc.) but they do it in a way that demonstrates how Yeshua has already fulfilled these Holy Days. Most Messianic Jews do not celebrate Christmas or Easter, since neither holiday is mentioned in the New Covenant. Jews who now follow Yeshua the Messiah understand that everything given in the Old Covenant was a “mere shadow” of the better things to come in the New.

Recommended Resources: Faith of Israel, 2d ed.: A Theological Survey of the Old Testament by William Dumbrell and Logos Bible Software.

Laela

Protestantism is a form of Christian faith and practice which originated with the Protestant Reformation, [a] a movement against what its followers considered to be errors in the Roman Catholic Church. It is one of the three major divisions of Christendom, together with Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy.