3 year natural/hair growing anniversary (PICS INSIDE)

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Miss AJ said:
So yesterday was the anniversary of my big chop and I let my best friend flat iron and lightly trim my hair. I'm not where I wanna be yet (APL) but I'm almost there and I've made good progress for 3 years starting from 2 inches. The first few months I was doing nightly scalp massages with sulfur oil (starting that up again soon) but the main things I did for growth and retention were protective styling, light trims every other month, deep conditioning 1-2 times a week, and moisturizing and sealing.

Woah you better grow! And you are APL.

Miss AJ

Your hair is gorgeous! How do you style your hair and what products do you use?

Thank you! My main stay has been braid outs and any variation of the braid out (twist out, bantu knot out, braid out puff) and I've been wearing it in a couple different buns too, sock bun and the twist bun. Products I use...I normally use a spray leave-in to detangle and moisturize, cream leave-in for more moisture, and seal it with a serum. My favorite spray leave-in is Silk Elements Color Care, sometimes I'll use Motions Nourish, or I'll do a concoction of that plus whatever other leave-in I feel like using. For my cream leave-ins I ONLY use Dominican ones (Baba de Caracol and Silicon Mix are the current ones). They have helped my hair tremendously. If I'm going for a frizz free look I do the spray and cream, if I'm going for a less defined look, I just use my spray leave-in and seal it with serum like normal. Oh, my favorite serums are pretty much anything in the Fantasia IC and Proclaim families. Shampoos and conditioners, mostly Dominican. Crece Pelo, Silicon Mix (of all varieties) and Emergencia w/ coconut are in rotation right now, and so is Tresemme Split Remedy, friggin LOVE that stuff.

Miss AJ

I would like to point out... it makes me feel really good to see heads of hair I've always admired, thanking and commenting on this post :)

Miss AJ

How does measuring APL work? Am I supposed to hold my arms up so I can see my hair falling at my armpit crease?? Is there JUST APL or is there a Full APL, or some type of SL/APL limbo or something lol. That and where to claim BSL have always confused me.

brittle_hair

Your hair is gorgeous - I love the blunt ends - always been a fan of the look of freshly trimmed hair!

And yes you are definitely APL as the hair falls in line with where your armpit crease starts