40 and over---who is still relaxing?

ryanshope

I am curious about the 40 and up members on the board---is anyone over 40 still relaxing? I am curious because my aunts and mom all stopped relaxing in their 40s---some by choice and others because their hair was thinning.

Now my grandmother relaxed up until her 60s and stopped and never "transition"; she just pressed her new growth---she always had shoulder length or longer hair.

Once I hit dirty 30, I wanted to experience my natural hair; but who knows in 10 years I might want a sassy short cut or something and decide to relax again.

Last edited:

Diva_Esq

I refuse to carry any relaxed ends into 35 (next June), so as long as my natural hair is close to SL, I'm chopping!

taz007

I will probably end up relaxing until I die.:spinning:

You don't have to go bald due to relaxing. Here is a picture of my mom at 76 years old. She has been relaxing her 4B hair for 60 years +. She does not dye her hair either:

ETA: I am not 40 yet :look:

Last edited:

Shoediva

Im 41 and right now im undecided. Im about 14 weeks post relaxer, I would like to be natural, but not sure if Im up for the challenge. I have been rockin a short hairdo for the past 4 years. I love short hair.

I recently became undecided about my hairs future due to my recent move to FL. I had the same stylist for 8 years in VA and I was so very happy with the way she took care of my hair. She is one of the few who are all about healthy hair. Im not comfortable with starting over with a new stylist at this point.

When I was 35 I used to always say I was gonna bust into my 40's with a really short "do" and go blonde...HA.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I 'm not relaxed nor am I 40, however, there are more then a few older women that I work with who still relax. To me it's about personal choice, do what feels right to you.

SelfStyled

Forty and still relaxing, can't say I ever associated a certain age to stop relaxing. If and when I decide to stop relaxing it won't be because I am any certain age. I have genetically thin hair, and relaxing hasn't made it any thinner.

jerseyjill

Will be 40 next year and plan on continuing to relax. My hair is nice and full. I hope menopause doesnt kill that. :(

India*32

Well, let's see. I started relaxing at age 12 up until 47. 6 months natural and now back to Mizani. Natural was beautiful in the summer and sporting a dark fade. Once my hair starting growing more problems with tangles/knots. So smoothing the natural curl works better for me.

India

MissB

Over 40 and still relaxing...

From what I have seen, medication and changes in hormones causes the hair to thin.

Also the combination of permanent dye and relaxing can cause some thinness.

BrooklynSouth

40 is a blur to me now..wish I'd gone natural years ago,; my hair is thicker, stronger now with shining silver. I have enough brain farts without adding seeping chemicals to the cuckooness.:spinning:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
My mom is over 40 and still relaxes
She was natural back in the 70s though
When I get to that age if I'm sick of being natural I'm switching to texlaxing or something mild like phyto

luckiestdestiny

My mom is in her 50's and she is relaxed. Her hair is not thick nor thin, and has always been that way. She is about MBL. Sometimes shorter or longer depending on when she chops it. Before she was mostly BSL, sometimes apl depending on her ends, but I convinced her to switch to a better gentler relaxer (I've been eyeing that linange thread and saw how the op's hair was thriving, and had a hunch that it was a really good relaxer. So I showed my mom the thread) and start stretching in addition to chlorella so now she's almost MBL(I'm natural but I just want my mom hooked up so I give her suggestions). Her hair hasn't changed because of relaxing (meaning thinned out). Same old same old so far.

Last edited:

*CherryPie*

I'M in my early 40s and I'm transitioning. I'm just tired of relaxig.

I've been relaxed ever since my mama said I could. That was a long time ago. Lol