advice on self relaxing

sexy c

I will be self relaxing tomorrow. I'm very nervous, the last time I self relaxed my hair became texlaxed which i found out is not good for my hair. I cant deal with the two textures. I went from ear length to shoulder length, then after the bad self relaxing I had to cut my hair to shoulder length and start all over again:( . I went to my mother's beauty shop to get her to do a corrective perm and it made the damage worser. I finally stopped the breakage and I can happily say I have no shedding or breakage. Can u ladies offer me any advice on self relaxing I left the perm on the length of time it said, but my hair wasnt straight. I will be using ors perm.

trulyurangel82

Im sure its sounds like im repeting myself on these threads haha about my mishap but the same thing happened to me!

I tried self relaxing and I was shoulder length. It was actually growing past my shoulders. Then I decided to try self relaxing and kept trying to correct if for months. Hair was too underprocessed. I couldnt deal with the different textures through out my hair either. Even though I moisturized the areas it still broke off.

I had to get it cut off so im now rocking a chin length cut. It sucked and was actually upset about it but it was for the best. My hair was so underprocessed I had to get a full relaxer!
You dont ever want to have to go that far lolol. Im sure you wont. I must have been a rly bad self relaxer. I even tried the tips too. I dont know what my problem was.

If I were you I would get it professionally done for awhile and just practice with conditioning until you feel comfortable with self relaxing again. You dont want to have to cut it off again. All that hard work you know.

Thats good that its not breaking off anymore. Just keep up with what you are doing that is stoping the shedding.

RubyWoo

What relaxer and strength(mild, regular or super) did you use the last time you relaxed? Was it also ORS? How long did you leave it on for? Lastly, did you put anything in your hair right before relaxing? We need some more details about what you did exactly so we can pinpoint what went wrong.

I would recommend that you do a strand test before you relax to ensure that your hair straightens within the specified time frame. I can offer more advice after I get the answers to the questions posed.

Missi

I only have a couple suggestions: make sure ur relaxer is the right strength for u: if ur hair is fine/medium: u should use mild/regular.... Optimum Anti-Breakage Relaxer: also: when you self-relax: u should only apply the relaxer to ur new growth: relaxing my new growth never effects my ends: if all it improves my breakage and makes my ends more managable: hope this helps....
...Which relaxer do you currently use?

ETA: i also hear that switching relaxers can be damaging too so check into that as well