4a/b Ladies Please HELP! I'm losing too much hair Detangling!

AfroKink

I about to start a thread on the same thing today!!! I have the exact same length this year as I did last year- no joke! I wish I had 10-15 hairs in the comb as someone posted earlier.

I have about 1/3 of the breakage OP has and I was complaining about that. That amount of breakage may be normal because I only wash and detangle once a week. I wear my hair in styles that dont require combing, twists for 5 days, twist outs for 2. So there is no combing for me for seven days.

What I do to detangle is:
1. Slather EVCO on my hair immediately after rinsing conditioner in cold water to seal in moisture.
2. Spray KCC Knot Today Detangler
3. Wait for both to "melt" into my hair
4. Begin combing end to root in sections and plait. I use a K-cutter first, then a large tooth comb, apply shea amla, then a fine tooth comb.

Like I mentioned before I get about 1/3 of the pic of OP's breakage or about 2-3 tightly packed tablespoons of hair in the comb.

I only use my denman when I plan on straightening to evenly distribute my Sabino Moisture Block protector.

Another thing I think I'm doing wrong is finger combing while shampooing. I got to learn a good technique for shampooing. Any suggestions?

They have a spray detangler too?

dlove

DLove:Do you shampoo your hair in sections? I shampoo my hair in eight sections, and I find that it helps to reduce tangles. Also, I don't fingercomb the shampoo through my hair because most shampoos (natural ones included) are somewhat concentrated. However, I don't completely follow the "shampoo is for your scalp." I pour shampoo onto my fingers and rub it onto my scalp. I also a small amount of shampoo onto my hair to remove build-up.
No, I wash my hair loosly under a running kitchen sink. I wash my hair just like when I had a relaxer. I will be revisit how I wash. I'm trying Nonie's wash in twists way Friday.

Softblackcotton: is it possible that the problem is due to HOW you detangle? Maybe your hair doesn't like to be detangled under running water? I know mine doesn't. To detangle, I generously spray leave-in conditioner down the length of my braids. Then I generously apply oil down the length of my braids. Next, I undo the braids and comb with my seamless comb. I apply more leave-in and oil as needed. I do all of this on dry hair, not wet.

Softblackcotton: You comb on dry hair and get little breakage? Now thats impressive! 4a/b thick condensed hair? So you shampoo in sections and let it air dry like that then comb. Is that right?

Last edited:

Barbara

Princess
Infusium 23 - my hair hates it. And the only time I get bad breakage is when I use it. I wonder if your hair is reacting to it. Does your hair like Infusium?

This is the best detangler for my hair. I stop using my Verifen Complex detangler after 10 consecutive years when my stylist recommended Infusium 23.

How is this formula? Well, I've been using the original formula for 4-1/2 years now--once every two weeks.