4a/b roller set and silk wrap post BKT (pics)

sheba1

During my first wash of my 2nd Brazilian Keratin Treatment, I was inspired to roller set! My hair felt so smooth that I decided to give it a shot... again. :look: Never mind that the first time I did a roller set and silk wrap (before bkt) my hair came out a frizzy mess. I didn't have much hope, but I tried it anyway! The results are below.

For comparison reasons I figure it'd be good to show how it went down when I roller set and silk wrapped before bkt.

After removed the rollers (before bkt)
blown roots 001.JPG

After silk wrap (before bkt); my bf said I had Diana Ross hair :)
blown roots 003.JPG

Anyhow, the results were much improved after my second attempt! I believe a major factor was that my hair had been bkt'd and gets smooth much easier. :yep:

After rollers removed (after bkt)
IMG_0139.JPG

Silk wrapped (after bkt)

15 silk wrapped.JPG

Made for a nice impromptu updo (after bkt)
19 southern tease w pin curl2.jpg

There are more pics in my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/sheba1

I'm really very excited. I look forward to continuing to explore throughout this journey. Thanks for allowing me to share with all of you!

yodie

Your hair looks GREAT!! Thank you so much for posting a pic of your roller set for all of us who want to see. This has really helped me. Your roller set came out great and just think of how much better it will continue to get.

You ROCK, Sheba 1!

sheba1

Thank you, Tiffers!

Thank you, Yodie! You are such a supportive growth buddy. Thanks so much :)

Ediese

Fab results!!!! I completely agree with you that BKT makes the hair so much smoother for rollersetting. I was able to get my roots super straight with just the rollers!!!

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/another-minichop--s/

I LOVE BKT and wish that I had done it before I chopped off my BSL hair. Live & learn.

I just looked at your album, and I LOVE your results too. It was great to see the comparison between the two. I've been weary of getting this done because I don't want to lose my curls, but I see that you didn't lose yours AND you got your hair SOOOO straight by just rollersetting. That's so fabulous!! Thanks for posting!!:yep:

sheba1

looks good.................

Thank you, Rsmith!

Fab results!!!! I completely agree with you that BKT makes the hair so much smoother for rollersetting. I was able to get my roots super straight with just the rollers!!!

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/another-minichop--s/

I LOVE BKT and wish that I had done it before I chopped off my BSL hair. Live & learn.

Thank you, Naturaltobe! Your hair inspired me to roller set! I'm so glad I did.

This is really cute!

Thank you, Hothair! :)

You've just really sold me on this! You have fab results!

Thank you, Ediese! I worried, too, that I would have to give up my curls. So glad I get to keep them!

Wow, what a difference. I love that updo!

Thank you, Winnettag! Can't wait to see your results when you go for it. :)

naturalmanenyc

Thanks!:grin: I love BKT. This is the most amazing product that I have used thus far. I get to keep my curls and still have manageable hair and wear straight styles without worry of reversion.

I kind of want it to rain just so I can see how my hair holds up in humidity.

My normal flat ironed hair, sans BKT, looks a hot mess if I am in humid weather for a long period of time. I went to a wedding last June with a nice flat iron but by the time I got to the ceremony, after walking outside in humid weather, I had to pin up my hair.:perplexed

http://public.fotki.com/regswife/24-weeks-post--flat/

I just looked at your album, and I LOVE your results too. It was great to see the comparison between the two. I've been weary of getting this done because I don't want to lose my curls, but I see that you didn't lose yours AND you got your hair SOOOO straight by just rollersetting. That's so fabulous!! Thanks for posting!!:yep:

Bettina

Whoa, I do see the difference...What I like about the BKT from your pics is that you still keep the body of your hair and its not stick straight. Beautiful results.

luckiestdestiny

Your hair looks GREAT!! Thank you so much for posting a pic of your roller set for all of us who want to see. This has really helped me. Your roller set came out great and just think of how much better it will continue to get.

You ROCK, Sheba 1![/quote/]

Exactly what I'm thinking. This looks great and it's just going to get better.

robot.

Woooow. You can really tell the difference - the sheen on your hair is brilliant. It just LOOKS stronger. :yep:

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I really really appreciate this, Sheba1, this is just what I was hoping for... Thanks so much ~ your results are great!

During my first wash of my 2nd Brazilian Keratin Treatment, I was inspired to roller set! My hair felt so smooth that I decided to give it a shot... again. :look: Never mind that the first time I did a roller set and silk wrap (before bkt) my hair came out a frizzy mess. I didn't have much hope, but I tried it anyway! The results are below.

For comparison reasons I figure it'd be good to show how it went down when I roller set and silk wrapped before bkt.

View attachment 32949

View attachment 32951

Anyhow, the results were much improved after my second attempt! I believe a major factor was that my hair had been bkt'd and gets smooth much easier. :yep:

View attachment 32953

Silk wrapped (after bkt)

View attachment 32955

View attachment 32957

I'm really very excited. I look forward to continuing to explore throughout this journey. Thanks for allowing me to share with all of you!

Ladybelle

your hair looks fab-u-lous. You can really see a big difference. I'm off to find out what BKT is now...

NaturallyGraceful

Thanks Sheba!! I bought Global 2wks ago & have yet to use it. This definitely makes me feel more confident when I get it done in a few weeks(was gonna let DD apply it, but decided against it for the 1st time better let a pro do it).

AtlantaJJ

:yay: Girrrrrrrrl, you ROCKED that roller set...OMG what a difference before and after. I mean the difference is that your hair (which was already healthy) looks like it got the best conditioner treatment on the planet. It's so manage able!!

You are a doll for sharing your experience with us, :bighug: you have totally convinced me to get the treatment. I doubt that I can wait until the fall. I can put an end to these single strand knots.

Your due-diligence had really paid you big dividends.

sheba1

Thank you so much for the kind words, ladies!

AtlantaJJ, I hear you loud and clear! I feel the same way! And my hair really FEELS like I got a really great conditioning treatment. It feels so balanced; both moisturized and strong.

I was gong to try to wait til I hit BSL to get my BKT but decided that I wanted my hair to get all the benefits of the treatment now. At first I thought it might be a waste to BKT and then protective style for the next 2 years. Once I did the treatment and saw those knots I knew I made the right decision. Who knows how much progress I would have lost otherwise?

Thank you so much, BerryBlack! Good luck to you. Please share your experience once your done? Make sure you have lots and lots of ventilation and I recommend getting started really early in the day so you don't have to worry about heat or sweating during the process.

Ladybelle

okay, i just spent the last however long researching BKT on LHCF and i was skeptical at first even with the wealth of information. I'm like, it can't be real. :ohwell:

Then i came back to this thread & looked at your FOTKI and I must say that I am sold.:clap: It's semi-permanent much like a rinse. I had planned on rocking the braids through the summer, but this might be a way to transition that' s more cost effective in the long term. It takes me either 3-4 days to do my own braids, or cost me around $200.00 to get them done, this takes some time but last a long time and I get the pleasure of seeing my hair on a daily basis which i love.

I'm strongly considering using my bonus check this year to get a steamer, a niiiice flat iron and now some BKT along with a few hair products i can't wait to try. Why invest in a cd when I can invest in m.e.? lol. :yep:

Anyways,

The only thing I'm curious to know now is how much your regimen changes with BKT verses your regular regimen. Do you still dc? cw? and etc? I am the same hair type as you for the most part.

Again, your hair looks lovely and it looks like it's affect enhances with each treatment which is interesting.

Last edited:

sheba1

The only thing I'm curious to know now is how much your regimen changes with BKT verses your regular regimen. Do you still dc? cw? and etc? I am the same hair type as you for the most part.

Again, your hair looks lovely and it looks like it's affect enhances with each treatment which is interesting.

Hey there Rainofglory! Thank you so much! You sound like me when I first came across BKT. I got excited! Then I did so much research and came across other naturals, transitioners and the like that had been using the treatment and decided that this might really be able to give me what I was looking for. I have been natural for 14 years and I was considering relaxing this time next year because I needed more variety without weekly heat. I kept saying, if I can only get a bouncy roller set I'll be good! Now, it seems I can have it!

My regi hasn't changed much. The only products you can not use are those that contain sodium chloride (table salt). If you look at the products that you already own you'll see that many do not, already. I learned that washing with a keratin shampoo with a balanced ph might help the treatment to last longer. I wash with mill creek biotin shampoo; awesome ingredients! I still co-wash when I get ready. Even more so, really, because now detangling takes 5 minutes instead of 30 and I don't have to hear my hair go "snap, crackle, pop". In fact, I haven't had a hair snap since I BKT'd. That's unheard of for me! My favorite co-wash conditioner is Vo5 clarifying conditioner.

I DC with a mixture of Sally's matrix biolage conditioning balm knock off and Elasta QP's intense fortifying conditioner. Except for the shampoo, I already had all of these products in my stash. There are others (like my joico) that I am not using on my hair because the contain sodium chloride. I still use them on my human hair wigs, though. Might as well keep them in tip top shape :yep: You'll want to keep in mind that because the bkt is much like a semi permanent rinse, you'll want to use products that are generally considered safe for color treated hair, so as not to strip the product. Thus the need to avoid salt.

Even though I still DC I've noticed my hair is not in need of it, as much. If I cowash and jump out the shower my hair still feels awesome. If I put my intense conditioners on, I often forgo the heat and just leave it on while I'm washing in the shower. My hair still feels great. This had never been before.

Well, sorry this is so long, but wanted to give you a full account of my experience. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need. If you need more information, I'm happy to share all that I have. You can drop me a pm if you don't want to ask here. Many people answered my questions as I was making up my mind to BKT. It's the least I can do :)

aa9746

View attachment 32949

View attachment 32951

View attachment 32953

Silk wrapped (after bkt)

View attachment 32955

View attachment 32957

Your pictures look really good.
What is Brazilian Keratin Treatment (any heat involved for this application)?? Is it done on natural hair? Did you use heat for your roller set?

Ladybelle

Hey there Rainofglory! Thank you so much! You sound like me when I first came across BKT. I got excited! Then I did so much research and came across other naturals, transitioners and the like that had been using the treatment and decided that this might really be able to give me what I was looking for. I have been natural for 14 years and I was considering relaxing this time next year because I needed more variety without weekly heat. I kept saying, if I can only get a bouncy roller set I'll be good! Now, it seems I can have it!

My regi hasn't changed much. The only products you can not use are those that contain sodium chloride (table salt). If you look at the products that you already own you'll see that many do not, already. I learned that washing with a keratin shampoo with a balanced ph might help the treatment to last longer. I wash with mill creek biotin shampoo; awesome ingredients! I still co-wash when I get ready. Even more so, really, because now detangling takes 5 minutes instead of 30 and I don't have to hear my hair go "snap, crackle, pop". In fact, I haven't had a hair snap since I BKT'd. That's unheard of for me! My favorite co-wash conditioner is Vo5 clarifying conditioner.

I DC with a mixture of Sally's matrix biolage conditioning balm knock off and Elasta QP's intense fortifying conditioner. Except for the shampoo, I already had all of these products in my stash. There are others (like my joico) that I am not using on my hair because the contain sodium chloride. I still use them on my human hair wigs, though. Might as well keep them in tip top shape :yep: You'll want to keep in mind that because the bkt is much like a semi permanent rinse, you'll want to use products that are generally considered safe for color treated hair, so as not to strip the product. Thus the need to avoid salt.

Even though I still DC I've noticed my hair is not in need of it, as much. If I cowash and jump out the shower my hair still feels awesome. If I put my intense conditioners on, I often forgo the heat and just leave it on while I'm washing in the shower. My hair still feels great. This had never been before.

Well, sorry this is so long, but wanted to give you a full account of my experience. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need. If you need more information, I'm happy to share all that I have. You can drop me a pm if you don't want to ask here. Many people answered my questions as I was making up my mind to BKT. It's the least I can do :)

Thanks so much for your detailed response. You thoroughly answered my question and I appreciate it soooo much!! Thank you. :grin: With the wealth of information I have gained just on LHCF and youtube, I think I've gotten all the information/reviews that I need to be comfortable with trying it.Plus, I see that you are now a source on BKT. In reseraching, I saw how much time you took to find out about the product before venturing out there and that says a lot. Thanks again!

sheba1

Your pictures look really good.
What is Brazilian Keratin Treatment (any heat involved for this application)?? Is it done on natural hair? Did you use heat for your roller set?

Hi Aa9746! The Brazilian Keratin Treatment is a hair treatment that coats and seals the cuticle. It temporarily adds weight and smoothness to the hair and can be used on all kinds of hair; natural, relaxed, texlaxed, chemically processed, damaged, etc. It's like an extreme conditioning treatment, of sorts. Since using it, I've been enjoying the temporary loosening of my curl pattern and the smoothness of my hair allows for easier detangling. It only takes me 5 minutes to detangle now!

There's lots of info and lots of opinions about the treatment on the board. Here's the thread that kick-started my interest. Brazilian Keratin Treatment Where have you been all my life? Pic Heavy

After that, I began researching like crazy and asked many questions. After all the questions were answered, I decided to give it a whirl.

There's definitely heat involved in the application but then it lasts for 2 to 3 months. During that time, it's very easy to do no heat/low heat styling and the result is temporary. Below is a side by side comparison of my curls after each treatment, nearly dry hair, no product. My natural hair is cute tight spiral.

curls from 1st bkt to 2nd bkt no prod.jpg

I used no direct heat for my roller set. I put my hair on rollers, dried under my bonnet dryer on cool. Wrapped my hair and did the silk wrap under the dryer on high heat 10 minutes. This was the only heat and my hair was under two layers of protection; both the saran wrap and a doo rag.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)