4A Fine Stranded Ladies - Inspiration.........

kizzylonghair

Ladies,

I need a little inspiration please, just started my journey (again) and need a lil inspiration.
BTW my hair is neck length and relatively healthy..
I need a reminder that 4A fine stranded ladies can reach APL, Bra-strap length.
As a children and when I was natural, my fair hair was lust, easy to handle and soft, but now I have relaxed it’s finer and feel like I have to work harder to keep it on my head.

My 2 friends are the opposite, they had real course 10B hair (I made that up…lol):grin: that would break combs, and break fingers when cornrowed, BUT relaxed its thick, lust, straight, never notice breakage and grows to whatever length they want effortlessly.

4A Fine Stranded please chime in, regardless of length, just want to know how your journey going, gone. Do we ever get that swing, weight that allows it to lay flat when long
Please inspire me…………

FroFab

Hey there, chin up. You can and will get to your goals. I'm sure that its all in the technique when it comes to flat ironing and getting a certain look. I have type 4 fine (but dense) hair that is somewhere near BSB/BSL (I haven't straightened in a while...I just grab and pull to check length).

Duchesse

Are you dead set on staying relaxed?

I'm a fine 4a, and being natural has always been the best for the health of my hair. When I was younger and got my hair pressed biweekly, I was APL. Relaxers (and bad practices) kept me at a choppy SL. Two years ago I decide to texlax my natural hair and it all broke off :(, so I'm going back to nat.

In terms of combatting that fly away look when wearing straight, the only thing that worked for me when relaxed was using a heavy pomade to hold the hair down.

kizzylonghair

Hey there, chin up. You can and will get to your goals. I'm sure that its all in the technique when it comes to flat ironing and getting a certain look. I have type 4 fine (but dense) hair that is somewhere near BSB/BSL (I haven't straightened in a while...I just grab and pull to check length).

Thank You, WOW, you have a great length, I knw I may need to treat my hair a little differently and your right loof at different techniques.
I really hope in a few year time a can post a great pic showing that it can be done!!

glamazon386

I'm a fine stranded 4a, OP. I feel your pain. :lol: Check out KiniKakes fotki though. She's a fine stranded 4a and she made it to waist length. I remember her hair being maybe APL or BSL when I first joined the board a few years back.

kizzylonghair

I'm a fine 4a, and being natural has always been the best for the health of my hair. When I was younger and got my hair pressed biweekly, I was APL. Relaxers (and bad practices) kept me at a choppy SL. Two years ago I decide to texlax my natural hair and it all broke off :(, so I'm going back to nat.

In terms of combatting that fly away look when wearing straight, the only thing that worked for me when relaxed was using a heavy pomade to hold the hair down.

Duchesse, 4 years ago if you asked me that question I would have asked if you were mad!!!..lol
But now finding this site and seeing all these lovely heads of natural hair, I wouldn’t rule it out at all….But for now I am going to stick with my regime on relaxed hair and she how I go (grow even…) the pomade is worth a shot

Thanks

Robin41

I have to agree. My 4a fine-strands were totally healthy when I was natural but I found the texture hard to deal with and relaxed again. I'm trying to find ways to keep my relaxed hair healthy without transitioning back to natural. I also tried texlaxing and it's not for me. I've been on this hair journey a long time and my hair is now at the longest it's ever been (just past shoulders in the back) but I have a lot of breakage. My goal is to nurse it back to health with protective styles and to stay relaxed.

I fight the "see-throughs" by not relaxing bone straight. It's more relaxed than texlaxed, just not super straight. It helps thicken it up a bit.

kizzylonghair

I have to agree. My 4a fine-strands were totally healthy when I was natural but I found the texture hard to deal with and relaxed again. I'm trying to find ways to keep my relaxed hair healthy without transitioning back to natural. I also tried texlaxing and it's not for me. I've been on this hair journey a long time and my hair is now at the longest it's ever been (just past shoulders in the back) but I have a lot of breakage. My goal is to nurse it back to health with protective styles and to stay relaxed.

I fight the "see-throughs" by not relaxing bone straight. It's more relaxed than texlaxed, just not super straight. It helps thicken it up a bit.

It’s such a hard decision but at least you can say that you tried them……..
I am going to battle on with my chemicals….lol, and like you see how I go.
Like you breakage is my main set back, when it’s already fine to loose more strands doesn’t help at all.
I also feel it on the ends, so protecting them is a must they just can’t cope.

almond eyes

I am a fine 4a/4b with some scattered 3cs. Sometimes I feel that I am more 4b and other days I am told that I am 4a. For me being a fine hair natural and dealing with my own hair texture without extensions was a breeze when my hair was shorter but as it got longer styling was a hassle. And then I stopped obeying the fine hair rules and suffered from many tangles. I was so frustrated that I started to go back to wearing extension braids again (but this time with my hair blown out lightly and not like before). However, someone snapped a nice picture of me with my hair recently and my hair looked great and even though I lost some strands over the past two months over some stupid hair practises thank goodness for having lots of hair on my head because one would never know. So, I calmed down a bit.

But I learnt the following:

1. Never wash my hair loose
2. Always detangle before washing
3. Don't over do products
4. Must shampoo and then condition
5. Blow dry hair lightly
6. use oil for a detangle

Best,
Almond Eyes

kizzylonghair

I am a fine 4a/4b with some scattered 3cs. Sometimes I feel that I am more 4b and other days I am told that I am 4a. For me being a fine hair natural and dealing with my own hair texture without extensions was a breeze when my hair was shorter but as it got longer styling was a hassle. And then I stopped obeying the fine hair rules and suffered from many tangles. I was so frustrated that I started to go back to wearing extension braids again (but this time with my hair blown out lightly and not like before). However, someone snapped a nice picture of me with my hair recently and my hair looked great and even though I lost some strands over the past two months over some stupid hair practises thank goodness for having lots of hair on my head because one would never know. So, I calmed down a bit.

But I learnt the following:

1. Never wash my hair loose
2. Always detangle before washing
3. Don't over do products
4. Must shampoo and then condition
5. Blow dry hair lightly
6. use oil for a detangle

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks for sharing, glad you hair looks great……There are certainly some fine hair rules that I must stick to that and some of then our the same as yours

1. Always detangle before washing
2. Don't over do products
3. Use oil for a detangle

chasturner84

I def have 4a fine strands and low density...I am also relaxed. Until I found LHCF, my hair never grew longer than shoulder length and was see through. I combated this prob by stretching my relaxers to least 16 wks and ensuring that my stylist doesn't relax my hair bone straight. This has drastically improved the overall health and thickness of my hair to the point where others are starting to notice as well. My hair is about an 1" or so from APL and it is the longest it's ever been. My hair is no longer see through because I air dry often. Make sure that you are using products that only work for your hair and not ALL of the ones you read about on this board. :rolleyes: I had to learn that the hard way!!! HHG! :grin:

ceebee3

I'm a fine type 4 and I'm almost at APL. You can reach your length goals you just have to take care of your hair to retain all that you grow.

My relaxed hair was the healthiest when I deep conditioned and rollerset every week.

The rollersets gave me lots of volume and allowed me to have straight hair with lots of body and no direct heat.

kizzylonghair

I def have 4a fine strands and low density...I am also relaxed. Until I found LHCF, my hair never grew longer than shoulder length and was see through. I combated this prob by stretching my relaxers to least 16 wks and ensuring that my stylist doesn't relax my hair bone straight. This has drastically improved the overall health and thickness of my hair to the point where others are starting to notice as well. My hair is about an 1" or so from APL and it is the longest it's ever been. My hair is no longer see through because I air dry often. Make sure that you are using products that only work for your hair and not ALL of the ones you read about on this board. :rolleyes: I had to learn that the hard way!!! HHG! :grin:

You could be my hair strand twin……..it looks great
I have just re-started my stretching going to 10 weeks now, fingers crossed if no breakage will aim for 12…
I was stretching during my last journey and it certainly helped, but as my relaxer (AFFIRM) was making me dry, I was really retaining as much as I could.

I do need to try airdrying at some point!! Rollersetting at the mo, which is ok but maybe I could rotate to cut down on the heat.

How do you cope with you ends???

kizzylonghair

I'm a fine type 4 and I'm almost at APL. You can reach your length goals you just have to take care of your hair to retain all that you grow.

My relaxed hair was the healthiest when I deep conditioned and rollerset every week.

The rollersets gave me lots of volume and allowed me to have straight hair with lots of body and no direct heat.

Ceebee, I feel you there.

Thank you, I would be so pleased to reach to APL
I love rollersetting, the illusion that my hair is thicker is great with no direct heat toooo.
I am looking forward to day of RS my APL/BS length hair

charmtreese

Im a fine 4a/b (past apl) and retention can be difficult. What has helped me is stretching my touch-ups (but not over stretching), using a mild relaxer, rollersetting, tension free protective styles, alternating my rollersets and protective styles, using products designed for fine hair and regular use of protein.

chasturner84

You could be my hair strand twin……..it looks great
I have just re-started my stretching going to 10 weeks now, fingers crossed if no breakage will aim for 12…
I was stretching during my last journey and it certainly helped, but as my relaxer (AFFIRM) was making me dry, I was really retaining as much as I could.

I do need to try airdrying at some point!! Rollersetting at the mo, which is ok but maybe I could rotate to cut down on the heat.

How do you cope with you ends???

I don't have a problem with my ends now. After DC'ing, I use Roux pororsity control and then apply a light leave in...concentrating on my ends. I seal with wild growth oil and either air dry in a bun or rollerset. I also dust/S&D my ends every 6 weeks and have JUST learned to self trim which I will do twice a year. With my hair, I know that as long as I am moisturizing & sealing daily (biggie) and hiding my ends regularly, I don't have to trim as often. I can wear my hair down a lot more since I'm over the SL hump, but as long as your hair is SL and rubbing against your clothing (if you wear it down), you might have a greater struggle with your ends and growing below SL...just wear your hair up and/or off your shoulders!

chasturner84

Im a fine 4a/b (past apl) and retention can be difficult. What has helped me is stretching my touch-ups (but not over stretching), using a mild relaxer, rollersetting, tension free protective styles, alternating my rollersets and protective styles, using products designed for fine hair and regular use of protein.

I agree with Charmtreese!

morehairplease

I'm a fine 4a, and being natural has always been the best for the
health of my hair. When I was younger and got my hair pressed biweekly, I was APL. Relaxers (and bad practices) kept me at a choppy SL. Two years ago I decide to texlax my natural hair and it all broke off :(, so I'm going back to nat.

co-signing....this has definitely been the case for me......too bad I relaxed again:wallbash::wallbash:.

kizzylonghair

Thanks, I am doing most of this so it seems I am on the right track :grin:

Enyo

I'm a fine 4a currently at BSB length with a few strands at BSL. I have a not so great pic in my album here. I am natural though.

Evolving78

I have fine hair. I just have a lot of strands. It is possible. I've made it to BSL as a relaxed head.
Roller setting, washing weekly, and when my hair got longer, I wore buns with hair pins and sticks. I also didn't wear my hair down often. I would wear it curly and pin it up.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm fine strand, high density, mainly 4a with some 4b around the edges. I am now waistlength, and being natural was the key for me.

When I was relaxed, I hit bra strap a few times, but primarily stuck around shoulder length. Stretching and not relaxing bone straight definitely helped me with the length I had, but I had to be careful with stretching.

quirkydimples

I'm fine strand, high density, mainly 4a with some 4b around the edges. I am now waistlength, and being natural was the key for me.

When I was relaxed, I hit bra strap a few times, but primarily stuck around shoulder length. Stretching and not relaxing bone straight definitely helped me with the length I had, but I had to be careful with stretching.
How did you get there? I'm fine strand, high density, too. I got to APL by stretching my relaxers before chopping my hair into a pixie. It's in box braids now for convenience and I'm playing with the idea of going natural again, but experience slow growth and breakage before.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
How did you get there? I'm fine strand, high density, too. I got to APL by stretching my relaxers before chopping my hair into a pixie. It's in box braids now for convenience and I'm playing with the idea of going natural again, but experience slow growth and breakage before.

My hair likes to be left alone (i.e., low manipulation). When I first transitioned back to natural, I did purely wash & gos on the weekend in summer, and kept my hair flat twisted under a wig otherwise. Once it was longer, I did high puffs; two crown braids; buns; and wash & gos. I still do this now, but I am able to get more creative. Low manipulation is more important than protective styling for me. I also use moisturizing, light protein deep conditioners. I can't use heavy protein because I'm also low porosity. It is also important to keep my hair moisturized because it breaks more easily when it is dry. In the early days, I had to deep condition with every wash. Now, I can get away with every other wash or so.

When I was relaxed, I had to use a light protein every week. I used Aphogee's 2-Minute reconstructor as my protein treatment, and otherwise used Keracare products almost exclusively. My hair did best with roller sets and bunning.