Fine stranded ladies! Please post 2007 Updates.

RZILYNT

My hair is fine too and thinning around the edges and has been thin since childhood.

I air dry my hair 99.5% of the time and I do not use any heat on my hair except for my deep conditioning with a plastic cap and hooded dryer. I have found that I can get a bend in my hair by rolling it into a big curl with my fingers and then tying a satin scarf around my head if I want to wear it down. They only reason I will use heat to straighten my hair is for a special occasion. I don't have many of those. I generally where my hair up off of my shoulders. Sometimes in a bun sometimes in a hair clip. I finally reached my goal of BSL hair. I will take the next growing goal one relaxer at a time :)

CynamonKis

Nappy Woman I feel the same way about my own hair! It took many yrs for me to realize that every mis-hap that has occured to my hair was due to some chemical process gone bad. Since I left the hair dyes and relaxers alone my hair has thrived a little better......

nappywomyn said:
Fine Haired sista checking in!!!

Hrrmmm - my main thing is a LOT of conditioners (I'm officially in love with Humectress), coconut milk soaks (moisture and protien), henna (strengtens & thickens) and protective styling. Really, my main need is moisture, moisture, moisture - letting my hair get dry INSURES I'm going to start seeing more breakage.
Also - for my hair - chemicals of any sort are the death - hair dye, relaxers, etc - anything that chemically impacts my hair = bad/breakage.

CynamonKis

This was a really good thread, Ladyqt. I enjoyed reading all your posts and picture albums.

- it seems like many of you use Neutrogena NTM -- ima have to try this!
- humectress: I used to use it 20 years ago but haven't used it in recent years I may need to re-visit it

Ladyqt - your hair is very gorgeous, impressed you've been natural 10 yrs

Msshic-LOVE those twists I may have to try it sometime; your hair is so very shiny and healthy-lookin'

Cutiebe2 - how do you use your castor oil, on the hair, ends or scalp, and how often? Do you use regular castor oil or jamaican black castor?

Lavendar - you have had phenomenal hair growth progress from 7/06-11/06, that is awesome! What is Sidr Tree and where do you get it? Also I have never before heard of rajasthani, is it darker than regular henna?

Lavendar

CynamonKis said:
This was a really good thread, Ladyqt. I enjoyed reading all your posts and picture albums.

-Lavendar - you have had phenomenal hair growth progress from 7/06-11/06, that is awesome! What is Sidr Tree and where do you get it? Also I have never before heard of rajasthani, is it darker than regular henna?

Thanks Cynamon! Rajasthani henna is also called Indian Henna. I was told it deposits a much deeper red than Jamila, like a dark cherry red, and I have found that to be true. For some reason, henna makes my hair very dark. I don't use amla or indigo, but my hair has become almost black and has never been this dark before. I love it, though. It's shiny, shiny. My daughter says the red is "blinging big time" in the sun, but I haven't seen it yet. It is very subtle indoors. I get mine from henna sooq.

I don't use the sidr tree....I think that's Honey Dew.;)

CynamonKis

Ladytq - it really DOES work. I just finshed my henna treatment. ?Afterwards, I moisturized w/a carrot-oil hot oil treatment, and I added a coat of Elucence conditioner on top & sat under dryer for 15 minutes. My hair is very shiny AND NOT ONE DRY SPOT,..,

My hair is not only moisturizd, it is full of ideas...

ladytq said:
Hot oil treatment hmmmm, let me add that to things I should do after henna treatments. Thank Cynamonkis!;)

Miss*Tress

I cut down on manipulation considerably - wash every two weeks, no brushing, and less combing. Also use protein/moisturizing conditioner combos every wash to strengthen and hydrate. All of this keeps my hair from being too fragile, but I still wish it were more resistant.

glamgal198

Hm...Definitely contribute my hair strands thickening to castor oil, biotin, and carrot juice. Winning combination!

ladytq

CynamonKis said:

- it seems like many of you use Neutrogena NTM -- ima have to try this!
- humectress: I used to use it 20 years ago but haven't used it in recent years I may need to re-visit it

Ladyqt - your hair is very gorgeous, impressed you've been natural 10 yrs

Msshic-LOVE those twists I may have to try it sometime; your hair is so very shiny and healthy-lookin'

Cutiebe2 - how do you use your castor oil, on the hair, ends or scalp, and how often? Do you use regular castor oil or jamaican black castor?

Lavendar - you have had phenomenal hair growth progress from 7/06-11/06, that is awesome! What is Sidr Tree and where do you get it? Also I have never before heard of rajasthani, is it darker than regular henna?

I just read your post! I need to subscribe to my own self-started thread:ohwell:. Thank you for your very generous compliments, but I must say that all those compliments I drop and they fall on you! Better believe I stalk all your post!

ladytq

CynamonKis said:
Ladytq - it really DOES work. I just finshed my henna treatment. ?Afterwards, I moisturized w/a carrot-oil hot oil treatment, and I added a coat of Elucence conditioner on top & sat under dryer for 15 minutes. My hair is very shiny AND NOT ONE DRY SPOT,..,

My hair is not only moisturizd, it is full of ideas...

I didn't get to read this post before I did my henna treatment:mad: ! Another dry head. It's in recovery:( . Please tell me where you buy your henna and what brand of carrot oil do you use? I decided I will only do this one a month, that's all my hair can handle! Thanks a bunch!

sharee

Good thread...I haven't been to this section of the board n a while...I must look into the Henna thing....I can't find my USB cable to upload progress pics but, I decided to keep my hair a APL. When it got the BS lenght, it just didn't look good with the layers my hair is in...maybe I will try for BS again when the layers catch up....

OneInAMillion

Fine stranded gal checkin in! Here's some things that worked well at the end of 2006 and that I've incorporated into my regimen.

Techniques

Texturizing: This has been the best thing that happened to my hair. I'm finally 100% texturized, and my hair is much stronger and thicker because of it. I've used Nairobi Lye twice, and so far so good.

Reduced heat:
I've been cutting back on heat since my last relaxer in September of 2006. During the 1st half of 2006, I had my roots blown weekly. Although my hair got thicker, I was hoping to see more length. It's been an adjustment, but it's so much healthier for my hair to reduce the heat. Hopefully, this will lead to less trims and more length retention in 2007.

Baggying: I used to think this was a No-no for fine hair, but now that I'm rid of the overprocessed strands, this is working out really well. I keep a spray bottle of my fav conditioner, sweet almond oil, and water. I spritz my hair at night, and slip a plastic cap on. This is helping be retain moisture. Sometimes, I even slap on a phony bun.

Conditioner Washing:
Yet another benefit of cutting back heat! I've been able to CW 2-3x a week. This aids in moisturizing as well. Again, I didn't think my hair could withstand this until it finally got thicker.

This year, I may give henna a try. We'll see...I just don't want to risk dryness because that's definitely a big problem for my hair. Also, the rest of my regimen is in my fotki just in case :).

Artemis

Tracy said:
I think these answers are all gonna run the gamut because I can't do some of things some of the other finehaired ladies do or I'd SURELY get breakage....

I can't protective style too consistently or often. It's too much tension and causes breakage.

I can't do without protein at ALL, and too much moisture makes my hair very soft and mushy and it breaks. I have to maintain a perfect balance of protein and moisture or I'm in trouble. Furthermore, I can err on the side of too much protein, but NEVER too much moisture. Too much protein and my hair just gets a little rough and dry - no biggie. Too much moisture and my hair is snapping off at the slightest touch.

I HAVE to comb my hair. All that leaving it to do it's own thing for 3 or 4 days? No dice. It angles and mats when I do that - so I don't do it. I comb my hair in some way shape or form EVERY day. No exceptions.

Another fine-haired chica checking in!!

This is Tracy's post from the other thread, and the bolded section describes me to a T! I'm so frustrated too, because I'm finding my hair does better also when I use heat (flat iron/blow dry) 2x/week, but I'd rather rollerset...Oh well!:ohwell: Maybe if I keep on practicing I can get it. But the good thing is that I ONLY use heat on wash day, whereas before it was almost every day that I had to whip out that flat iron. I'm bunning a few days/week, and moisture/sealing my ends and I'm definitely excited to see some length. My hair has never been this healthy:)

KiniKakes

Great thread ladies!

Okay, these are the products that I have discovered my very fine strands LOVE!!!!

Jamilla HENNA!!!! (for conditioning only, not color)
Biotin (7.5 mg daily)
MTG
Aphogee (every 6-7 weeks)

In terms of my regimen:

I still wash once per week with Nacidit or Capile Aceite de Oliva Shampoo, and condition with Avacado Cream Conditioner (also Dominican). I DC for about 15 minutes, then rollerset..... and get the roots ONLY blown out.

I bun Sun-Thurs, and wear my hair down Fri and Sat.

With this regimen, Ive retained most of my growth over the last year, and have also seen my hair thicken substantially. Dont get me wrong, Im still very much in the fine-haired club..... but my strands are no longer as thin/brittle/fragile as they were prior to LHCF.

Feel free to check out my Fokti for a more detailed regimen as well as more pics.

Before I joined LHCF:

After I joined LHCF:

Artemis

^^^ I can't wait to be like KiniKakes when I grow up :D ! Absolutely beautiful...I'd deep condition and stretch and bun for the rest of my life to get shine and length like that :yep:

KiniKakes

artemis_e. said:
^^^ I can't wait to be like KiniKakes when I grow up :D ! Absolutely beautiful...I'd deep condition and stretch and bun for the rest of my life to get shine and length like that :yep:

Aww, thanks girl!!!! :grin: That makes me feel so good!

Yep, bunning is the key, if you ask me! I definitely plan to bun for the rest of my life, even once ive made my ultimate goal of TB length. Wearing my hair out will be reserved for weekends and special occasions, as its become such a bother as it grows longer.

Radianthealth

1. Texlaxing
2. Protective Styling and Baggying
3. Henna - I noticed the thickening effects immediately
4. Aphogee Protein Treatment- I agree about being able to over do protein and not moisture for fine hair
5. Moisturizing daily
6. I like using topical growth oils with essential oils mixed in.
7. No brushing
8. Seamless wide tooth combs

CinnaMocha

This thread is right on time for me...after my beautician chopped off a lot of growth and progress I made, I didn't really know what to do with these fine strands of mine...thanks ladies!!!

divinefavor

Kini,

Would you happen to have the ingredients list for the Dominican Shampoo and conditioner that you use?

TIA for your help!

InnerSoul

What helps my fine strands is this:

-stretching relaxers to 3 months.
-keeping oils on my strands and ends to seal in moisture.
-protein treatments when needed.

also roller sets make my hair have the illusion of thickness...roller sets are great for volume:)

divinefavor

For my fine strands I mainly use Aveda DR and Elucence. I have been most consistent with this for about 10 months. My hair looks so much healthier now. Aveda DR gets a little pricey, but I still have the shampoo that I purchased in April 2006. So, I have gotten my money's worth. I may look into adding dominican shampoos and conditioners (the one's that Kinikakes uses :) ).

Rollersets have definitely saved my hair and also wearing my hair in a bun or phony scruchie (see album for pictures). I've also found that a balance of protein and moisture is key for me. I mainly achieve this with my moisture mix (Original MNT conditioner, Elucence conditioner, distilled water and light oils).

Lastly, I've been stretching my hair between 4-5 months, may cut it down to 3-4. However, I'm not sure yet. I also just added cassia and Boundless Tresses (Odorless MTG) to my regimen.

Blessedhairgro

This routine has been working pretty well for me so far:

Relaxer: ORS Olive Oil regular (THE BEST :D!!!)
Shampooing 2X a week
with CON green, Tigi Bedhead moisture maniac, Joica Kerapro & Nexxus Therappe (use the least)
Deep condition after each wash with Nexxus Humectress, Jason Sea Kelp (my favorite) Silicon Mix, Nexxus Keraphix, Tigi Catwalk oatmeal & honey & tigi bedhead moisture maniac
Pre-poo (only when 8 - 12 weeks post relaxer to soften new growth) with mixture of cholesterol conditoner, olive oil, castor oil & honey for up to 1 hour
Hair drying method: Either rollerset under dome dryer (least often, I'm lazy), blow dry with comb attachment (the way I dry my hair most of the time), or air dry (only in the warmer months)
This has been working for me to obtain length and keep my hair moisturized.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Another fine haired chica checking in.

I am so confused with my hair right now. I'm currently stretchsitioning (I think) and I'm 26 weeks post. I have kinky twists in, but they are totally killing my hair. Some of them are too heavy and are causing breakage.

Right now, certain parts of my hair need moisture while others need more protein. The only things that are consistently working for my hair are the ORS replenishing Pak and coconut oil.

Empress Yahudah

Fine strands checking in :)... what is helps me with thickness or fullness is Biotin .. products with panthenol.. setting wet hair on rollers to dry...stretching to 10-12 weeks..... very little product on dry hair to not weigh it down .. dust for evenness.. mild relaxers
keeping my hair strong with protien/moisture balance
scalp/growth aids that arent real oily or thick ..it will weight my hair down
when i need alittle moisture durring the week i use Lacio its very light and absorbs... and to seal or for shine Jojoba oil is very light and absorbs

I'm new to the forum but in the short time I have been here, I have become a PJ but I'm seriously trying to tame my $$ splurging tendencies. I just love going to the hair care aisle now and BSS-don't EVEN get me started.
Before LHCF my stylist used Affirm which I absolutely love but I recently tried ORS-mild and my hair loved it. May have to try to get some affirm. I think my hair was really taking to it.

Other products:
Elasta QP mango butter
Nexxus humectress and the new Suave humectant
Amla Oil
Protectiv Break Free
Silk Elements creamy leave-in

I've started co-washing 2X a week and washing once a week.
Braid-outs have become my staple style and just the other day I tried baggying for the 1st time. Hope I did it right, and I love the results. Soft shiny hair absolutely gorgeous hair :lick: I'm trying to get a good feel for my hair and maintaining its protein/moisture balance and i'm gonna try stretching but only an extra week at a time. Thanks LHCF ladies!!