4b Relaxed Ladies...I Need Your Heat Regi

truthbetold

Have any 4b relaxed ladies grown your hair out while still using direct heat (flat iron or roller set) at least once a week?

I am getting so tired of wigs and buns! And I miss my hair looking nice. It's not long enough for braidouts to be cute and any type of individual braids or cornrows pull my hair clean out of my head.

So ladies, if heat is a part of your regi on the regular and your hair is thriving...do tell.

vnaps

i dont use any direct heat......but rollersets are not considered direct heat....and even if you are worried you could always air dry....hth

jerseygurl

Not a new member
Yep drying rollersets under the dryer is not considered direct heat. I usually rollerset and wrap it. When I comb it out, it's almost straight. I try to avoid blow drying and flatirons but if you have to flatiron, make sure your hair is well DC'd and you can throw in a protein treatment (depending on your hair). and don't forget your heat protectant.

That said, girl enjoy your hair. Don't restrict yourself to styles you don't like. It won't be fun.

Christina Dior

well i use heat(flatiron) every 2 weeks when i wash simply because i like wearing my hair straight:yep: but when i do use heat i make sure to deep condition the h*** out of my hair and use some type of heat protectant

prospurr4

Hey Truth!

I'm 4b texlaxed, but I don't use direct heat at all. I stopped when I started growing my hair out because it was neck length and so damaged. I wore airdried spiral sets all the time...they were my best hair-friend, because they were low manipulation and really helped with retaining length. I would set my hair on Saturdays, and it would last for 7 days, even enduring my 3-day-a-week workouts. You can change them up by adding headbands or other hair accessories, raising the "cute" factor.:grin: I still wear them from time to time...see siggy.

shtow

I use heat weekly. Here is my regi:

-wash with GVP matrix hydrating poo
-use Apogee Reconstructor for 5 mins with shower cap while in shower
-towel blot hair
-DC with GVP Matrix balm 20 mins with heat
-apply GVP paul mitchell the conditioner; comb through
-apply a generous amount (because I only apply once) IC heat protecting serum
-sit under Pibbs with hair loose for 5-10 mins
-blow dry
-flat iron with sedu on 380 (sometimes higher, depends on stretch)
-apply coconut oil when done flat ironing and daily
-chelate with Kenra every 3 weeks

That's it!!

Last edited:

wannabelong

I use heat weekly. Here is my regi:

-wash with GVP matrix hydrating poo
-use Apogee Reconstructor for 5 mins with shower cap while in shower
-towel blot hair
-DC with GVP Matrix balm 20 mins with heat
-apply GVP paul mitchell the detangler and the conditioner; comb through
-apply a generous amount (because I only apply once) IC heat protecting serum
-sit under Pibbs with hair loose for 5-10 mins
-blow dry
-flat iron with sedu on 380 (sometimes higher, depends on stretch)
-apply coconut oil when done flat ironing and daily
-chelate with Kenra every 3 weeks

That's it!!

I was waiting for you to chime in. :yep::grin:

Musicachic

For me it depends on how many weeks post I am... Like the first month or so after a relaxer I can let my hair airdry in a bun and then after it is dry comb it out and wear it straight or roll it up at night because my leave ins have it dry soft and and not crunchy or anything. :rocker:

Then after 4 weeks or so... I usually flat iron once a week, even though may wash it twice in the week or more with co-washing. I always use protectants and I like the Conair Steam straightner because it doesn't seem to dry out me ends as much. :hair:

I never thought I could airdry, because when I first started doing it my hair would be so dry and frizzy afterwards. And now after finding products I can leave in and like it is a lot better...

And even with bunning all the time... It makes your hair stand out that much more when you actually wear it different. People get excited where I work when I actually come in with curls or something. Haha... :yep:

Yeah, I now wash my hair 1x a week the usual

Wash, Condition, Deep Condition
Blow Dry OR Set hair in rollers and go under dryer (best)
I put on a heat protectant (Silk Elements) and proceed to flat iron (370 is recommended heat) OR I do a silk wrap. (You take hair outta rollers, apply dime size moisturizer and a serum and wrap hair and wrap saran wrap around it and go under dryer for 10 min [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4])

just avoid doing direct heat more than once a week....i did that for two weeks and I had split ends sprouting

or invest in Sabino Moisture Block like I plan to.....
http://www.sabinohair.com/moisture-block.php

A lot of ladies looove this product, there for your hair will be straight and you can go looonger without having to flat iron it again.
HTH

truthbetold

Thanks so much for the responses ladies. I'll try to put some of them in action soon.

ETA: SHTOW, I love the step by step instructions!

truthbetold

I will definitely have to try this moisture block. I am such a pj.

Yeah, I now wash my hair 1x a week the usual

Wash, Condition, Deep Condition
Blow Dry OR Set hair in rollers and go under dryer (best)
I put on a heat protectant (Silk Elements) and proceed to flat iron (370 is recommended heat) OR I do a silk wrap. (You take hair outta rollers, apply dime size moisturizer and a serum and wrap hair and wrap saran wrap around it and go under dryer for 10 min [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4])

just avoid doing direct heat more than once a week....i did that for two weeks and I had split ends sprouting

or invest in Sabino Moisture Block like I plan to.....
http://www.sabinohair.com/moisture-block.php

A lot of ladies looove this product, there for your hair will be straight and you can go looonger without having to flat iron it again.
HTH

AVE One

I very seldom use direct heat but I do rollerset (indirect like everyone else said) and follow with saran treatment if I want straighter hair. However, my girlfriend who is a 4b rollersets weekly and then uses the flatiron once a week on her roots (sometimes a couple of inches down from roots) but NEVER her ends and her hair has thrived. She is a little past bra strap.

AVE One

For me it depends on how many weeks post I am... Like the first month or so after a relaxer I can let my hair airdry in a bun and then after it is dry comb it out and wear it straight or roll it up at night because my leave ins have it dry soft and and not crunchy or anything. :rocker:

Then after 4 weeks or so... I usually flat iron once a week, even though may wash it twice in the week or more with co-washing. I always use protectants and I like the Conair Steam straightner because it doesn't seem to dry out me ends as much. :hair:

I never thought I could airdry, because when I first started doing it my hair would be so dry and frizzy afterwards. And now after finding products I can leave in and like it is a lot better...

And even with bunning all the time... It makes your hair stand out that much more when you actually wear it different. People get excited where I work when I actually come in with curls or something. Haha... :yep:

Musicachic which leave-ins do you use?

I think that I may start flat ironing my roots after rollersets once a week after I reach the 8 wk mark. I am trying to stretch to 12 wks and work up to 16 eventually. My new growth tends to coil and tangle after 8 weeks or so but a little flatiron may make my stretches more bearable.

ChoColette

I haven't used any heat since March 17, 2012 - the first day of my journey. I am trying not to blow dry or flat iron my hair except on relax days. For now I am wearing buns (top not, low back, middle and high), braid outs and twist outs. I'm looking for hair accessories to change things up a little. I've also sectioned off bangs and twisted into my bun. Hang in there!

almond eyes

I am 4a/b with some sparse 3C (fine hair). I was never successful with relaxers until the past year and a half. I think it is because I use the tension blow dry method on freshly washed, slightly damp, heat protected hair. When I used to do the air dry and conditioner wash with all the products, I used to lose lots of hair. I use this method twice a month with no problems.

Best,
Almond Eyes