4c/4c hair- How do you prevent single strand knots...........

Danewshe

4b/4c hair- How do you prevent single strand knots...........

without compromising on style?

In my first year of being natural I maily wore my hair in a puff or bun, which resulted in me having to cut nearly 3 inches offmy ends :nono:. Last year I mainly wore twists or celies under a half wig. Whilst the twist did the trick in preventing ssk and my ends now are in tip-top condition, I'm kind of fed up with wearing half wigs all the time and I ain't about to wear them in the summer like I did last year. Is there anything I can do to prevent ssks when wearing my own hair, or any styles I can do without damaging my ends? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and pictures would be fantastic!

Last edited:

gennatay

I made the realization last week that when I use to Henna my hair, I got less SSK and split ends. I stopped because it was messy and time consuming. But I am thinking about starting again because my hair was much stronger and in better shape.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I pretty much just braid or twist my hair, then pin the twists in various styles. Recently, due to laziness, I've been putting it in large twists, braiding the twists in two large braids on either side of my head and tucking the ends in. Or I will braid the twists into one large braid in the back of my head and tuck the end of that braid in. Sometimes, I make a pompadour or bang out of the twists in the front. Nothing fancy, but it ends up looking pretty cute if I put hair bling in it. It's practical and it seems like it's getting me to my goals.

Venture to the twists/braids/buns for growth challenge (in my siggy) for lots of ideas and inspiration. The ladies there have the twist/braid game on lock.

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I had heard about SSks before I went natural and was afraid I was going to have to battle them but so far, no. I'm not one for braids and twists - no patience or time now to sit still for hours.

I keep my hair moisturised all the time (I mean it) and for the most part stretched out. I moisturise and braid it in between 4-6 braids every night and pin them, wrap in a satin scarf, undo in the morning and style. It's always silky and no SSKs even that odd time when I leave some of it out. Most of the time it's in a protective style though.

Danewshe When you first went natural, were you moisturising well before putting it in a puff or bunning? I ask because I notice that my strands don't seem to knot either with each other or on themselves if they have moisture. They stay separated.

Last edited:

Danewshe

I had heard about SSks before I went natural and was afraid I was going to have to battle them but so far, no. I'm not one for braids and twists - no patience or time now to sit still for hours.

I keep my hair moisturised all the time (I mean it) and for the most part stretched out. I moisturise and braid it in between 4-6 braids every night and pin them, wrap in a satin scarf, undo in the morning and style. It's always silky and no SSKs even that odd time when I leave some of it out. Most of the time it's in a protective style though.

@Danewshe When you first went natural, were you moisturising well before putting it in a puff or bunning? I ask because I notice that my strands don't seem to knot either with each other or on themselves if they have moisture. They stay separated.

Welp...no I wasn't. I think you've hit the nail on the head. My hair is always dry, except from the first few days after I wash it. My hair is so thick, it's really hard for me to moisturise all over, but I guess it's worth giving it another try. I'm just scared I'll end up having to do another mini chop.

HanaKuroi

Stretching your hair before putting it in a puff. Moisture, moisture, moisture
Henna
Sealing your ends

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

greenbees

I think that keeping the hair as stretched as possible is the best way to avoid getting SSKs. I keep my hair in twists at least five days a week. I know some naturals that keep SSKs at bay by keeping their hair stretched through blow drying or wearing it straight.

LadyEuphoria007

Thanks for posting this... I've been natural for a while and started having issues with this. I've started twisting now to see where it will get me.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Once every 6-8 weeks after washing and detangling my hair I use a blow dryer with a comb attachment to "straighten" my hair.

It doesn't eliminate all of the knots but I don't have to trim as often or as much hair as I used to.

tamm

HONESTLY ........................ Heat :shocked:

I wear my hair in protective styles 90% of the time (I've worn my hair out once in 2012) But after I deep condition I blow dry w/tension method and then put in protective style. Since I have been doing this regimen I can detangle my hair in 20 minutes or less. Before I started using heat my detangling sessions would last 1-2 hours because of SSk's. Now I have no problem with them. I actually did a no heat challenge for 6 months and let me tell you, my hair was so matted and it took me 3 hours to detangle my hair. I will NEVER go without heat again. That is what works for MY hair. Ohh I do not flat iron after I blow dry. Blow dry only without the comb attachment, and I only do my roots and shaft not the ends (the last three inches of hair).

HoneyA

Welp...no I wasn't. I think you've hit the nail on the head. My hair is always dry, except from the first few days after I wash it. My hair is so thick, it's really hard for me to moisturise all over, but I guess it's worth giving it another try. I'm just scared I'll end up having to do another mini chop.

Yes, my hair is really thick too so I moisturise it in the 4 or 6 sections (or more depending on the style I want the next day) before I braid it up at night. Takes about 10 minutes and I'm done. It's a nightly ritual that is worth it because I get to retain all or most of my growth and don't have to battle with SSKs. The next morning I'll moisturise again if I feel like it but most times no. The point is that at no time does my hair ever feel dry.

Last edited:

HoneyA

HONESTLY ........................ Heat :shocked:

I wear my hair in protective styles 90% of the time (I've worn my hair out once in 2012) But after I deep condition I blow dry w/tension method and then put in protective style. Since I have been doing this regimen I can detangle my hair in 20 minutes or less. Before I started using heat my detangling sessions would last 1-2 hours because of SSk's. Now I have no problem with them. I actually did a no heat challenge for 6 months and let me tell you, my hair was so matted and it took me 3 hours to detangle my hair. I will NEVER go without heat again. That is what works for MY hair. Ohh I do not flat iron after I blow dry. Blow dry only without the comb attachment, and I only do my roots and shaft not the ends (the last three inches of hair).

I've heard quite a number of ladies mention heat as a way to stop SSKs, I've blow dried my hair all of 2x as a natural and each time, I ended up with tangles so I had to put an end to that very quickly.

Moisture (and stretched hair) is the only thing I swear by as a natural.

Ann0804

I keep my hair moisturized, co wash and deep condition twice a week and trim/dust as needed. I also detangle with a comb -none of that finger detangling for me. I do find keeping a good protein moisture balance helps a great deal.

Khaiya

I agree with moisture and stretched hair. Using evoo as a prepoo, adding it to my dc or as a leave in keeps ssks away for me.