4th Commandment.. Anyone ?

kgard7777

Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy. For six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your G-d; you shall not do any work-you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.

divya

I love the Sabbath. :yep: This is a beautiful explanation...

The beneficent Creator, after the six days of Creation, rested on the seventh day and instituted the Sabbath for all people as a memorial of Creation. The fourth commandment of God's unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is a day of delightful communion with God and one another. It is a symbol of our redemption in Christ, a sign of our sanctification, a token of our allegiance, and a foretaste of our eternal future in God's kingdom. The Sabbath is God's perpetual sign of His eternal covenant between Him and His people. Joyful observance of this holy time from evening to evening, sunset to sunset, is a celebration of God's creative and redemptive acts. (Gen. 2:1-3; Ex. 20:8-11; Luke 4:16; Isa. 56:5, 6; 58:13, 14; Matt. 12:1-12; Ex. 31:13-17; Eze. 20:12, 20; Deut. 5:12-15; Heb. 4:1-11; Lev. 23:32; Mark 1:32.)

cheetarah1980

It's an everlasting sign of God's covenant. God even says in Isaiah that there are blessings to the foreigners (i.e. Gentiles) who keep his Sabbaths (not just the weekly one).

blazingthru

If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it." Isaiah 58:13-14

caribgirl

I am so thankful for the Sabbath :yep: :

Blessed is the man who does this, the man who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil." Isaiah 56:2

divya

Happy Sabbath ladies!

Today was Communion Sabbath at my church. The room sounded heavenly as we sang and washed each others' feet. God is so wonderful! And later we sang, "the Blood" the tears just started to flow. Thank you Lord for your sacrifice and your holy Sabbath.

Hebrews 4:4 -11

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Have a blessed Sabbath day ladies!

blazingthru

I love the Sabbath and decided to join the church that I have been going to for the past two months. I just really love many of the people and I can't wait for sabbath to see them again. The message is always on point. You know what I love is its all scripture he might add a lines to bring it out more but its all scripture and I love that. I have never seen so much love for a people in my life. This was my sons first time going out, he could not beleive how packed the church was. How excited the people was to be there on a Saturday it was really something. He understood why I wanted to be there all day. Amen to Sabbath.
Our time before the LOrd forever.

zanna

The beneficent Creator, after the six days of Creation, rested on the seventh day and instituted the Sabbath for all people as a memorial of Creation. The fourth commandment of God's unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is a day of delightful communion with God and one another. It is a symbol of our redemption in Christ, a sign of our sanctification, a token of our allegiance, and a foretaste of our eternal future in God's kingdom. The Sabbath is God's perpetual sign of His eternal covenant between Him and His people. Joyful observance of this holy time from evening to evening, sunset to sunset, is a celebration of God's creative and redemptive acts. (Gen. 2:1-3; Ex. 20:8-11; Luke 4:16; Isa. 56:5, 6; 58:13, 14; Matt. 12:1-12; Ex. 31:13-17; Eze. 20:12, 20; Deut. 5:12-15; Heb. 4:1-11; Lev. 23:32; Mark 1:32.)

Amen, Shabbat Shalom!
Zanna

blazingthru

Keep the Sabbath Holy - 12 Biblical Concepts

1. The Sabbath is a day to cease our creating, working with the creation, and appreciate what God has done in the world and is doing in us. Genesis 2

2. Elaborate food preparation is to be done on the day before the Sabbath so that there is no baking or heavy cooking on the Sabbath. Exodus 16

3. The Sabbath is a time to lay our burdens down and rest. We should not do any servile work on the Sabbath. This includes our entire family, even our servants and beasts of burden and strangers who live among us. Jeremiah 17; Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5

4. The Sabbath is an holy convocation. We should meet and worship with others. Leviticus 23

5. We should be reverent and show God that we love, honor, and respect His authority. Psalm 89:7, Habakkuk 2:20

6. The Sabbath should be a day of delight and rejoicing, a day which we forsake our thoughts and words for God's thoughts and words. Isaiah 56, 58

7. The Sabbath is a time of healing. Matthew 12, Mark 1, 3, Luke 13, 14

8. We are not to buy or sell on the Sabbath. Nehemiah 13

9. The Sabbath is a time to do good and visit and comfort the sick. We should do spiritual work on the Sabbath, serving others. John 5

10. The Sabbath is a time of prayer. Acts 16:13

11. The Sabbath is a time to reason with others about spiritual principles, and for ministers to teach the word of God. Acts 17:2, 18:4, 11

12. The Sabbath is a time for Singing. Ephesians 5:19-20, Colossians 3:16, Psalms 92 is called the "Sabbath Psalm"

blazingthru

"I WOULD BE AFRAID TO STEP OUT AND KEEP THE SABBATH."
(1) "If the seventh-day Sabbath were right, why do not more leading men keep it?"

Scriptural support: None.

In nearly every age of history the majority have been in the wrong, and the faithful few who have studied their Bibles have been in the right. At the time of the Flood, the majority made the wrong decision (Genesis 6). In the time of Paul, Athens was one of the most highly educated cities in the world—yet few accepted what Paul told them (Acts 17). They thought he just had "new doctrines" (Acts 17:19). The "leading men" in the days of the prophets and Christ and the Reformers—were generally on the wrong side. In reply to the words of Christ Himself, the people said, "Have any of the rulers or of the Pharisees believed on Him?"—John 7:48. It was only "the common people" who heard Him gladly (Mark 12:37). The men of wealth and influence and high literary attainments generally were not the ones to confess themselves followers of the meek and lowly Jesus. Remember the words of Paul to the Christians of his time: "Ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called."—1 Corinthians 1:26. It was the "leading men" who burned Huss and Jerome in the fifteenth century. It was the "leading men" who tried to burn Luther in the sixteenth century. And it was the "leading men" who, under the urging of the pope of Rome, in the fourth century decreed that all Christians must henceforth keep Sunday instead of the seventh-day Sabbath. Friend, even though no one kept the Sabbath, it would still be the Sabbath! If you really love God—why not honor HIM instead of man, by doing as He has asked.

blazingthru

When I started keeping the sabbath the bible came alive for me. Its only been 3 months and I am learning so much. I am glad that it is happening now. it is challenging and different - but learning to obey God has so many rewards.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

It's so hard to observe in this society. We've sold ourselves out. And just look at the practicalities of Shabbat....resting...recuping...G-d wants us to rest!!!! He cared about our bodies.

msa

Does anyone have any scriptures that pertain to why the Sabbath is Saturday as opposed to any other day of the week?

goldielocs

MSA,

I am new to honoring the Sabbath, but this is the scripture which finally convinced me it was right.

Ibrim (Hebrews) 4:9-12

So there remains a Sabbath-keeping for the people of Elohim (God). For the one, having entered into His rest has himself also rested from his works as Elohim (God) rested from His own. Let us therefore do out utmost to enter into that rest, lest anyone fall after the same example of disobedience. For the Word of Elohim is living and working, and sharper than any two-edge sword, cutting through even the dividing of being and spirit, and of joints and of marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

The Sabbath is the 7th day- period. It's nothing to figure out. Most churches justify worshipping on Sunday because it is said that Christ rose on the first day of the week. Even if He did rise on the first day of the week, how does that change the 4th commandment? If Christ wanted us to change the Sabbath to the first day of the week, He would have told us to. I'm not saying that to be sarcastic. The Sabbath is sacred and if Christ intended to change it, there is not doubt in my heart there would have been a whole book in the Gospel to tell us why. Not only did he not do away with the Sabbath, His disciples continued to keep it and the old testament feasts.

I still attend church on Sunday, but I honor the Sabbath from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday. My family spends time together, we study the Word and enjoy one another.

Peace and blessings

msa

Thank you for answering my question.

The Sabbath is the 7th day- period. It's nothing to figure out. Most churches justify worshipping on Sunday because it is said that Christ rose on the first day of the week. Even if He did rise on the first day of the week, how does that change the 4th commandment? If Christ wanted us to change the Sabbath to the first day of the week, He would have told us to. I'm not saying that to be sarcastic. The Sabbath is sacred and if Christ intended to change it, there is not doubt in my heart there would have been a whole book in the Gospel to tell us why. Not only did he not do away with the Sabbath, His disciples continued to keep it and the old testament feasts.

This is going to sound dumb but...is there a scripture that says Saturday is the 7th day? Or that Sunday is the first day? I guess what I'm not understanding is why that specific day was chosen; was it even laid out in scripture?

It seems to me that a day was chosen arbitrarily...and therefore you could take any day as your weekly sabbath and keep it holy. For example, if you worked on Saturday...would it be wrong to choose Wednesday as your sabbath since that's the only day you have free?

Bear with me y'all...I just want some information.

blazingthru

This is going to sound dumb but...is there a scripture that says Saturday is the 7th day? Or that Sunday is the first day? I guess what I'm not understanding is why that specific day was chosen; was it even laid out in scripture?

It seems to me that a day was chosen arbitrarily...and therefore you could take any day as your weekly sabbath and keep it holy. For example, if you worked on Saturday...would it be wrong to choose Wednesday as your sabbath since that's the only day you have free?

Msa,
Here is a website that finally convince me and I study for weeks before I finally accepted that this was the truth and this was back in February. My entire life has changed once I stepped out on faith and started honoring the Sabbath. I lost a lot and my neighbors think we are strange and weird and so does my family and co workers. But I am gaining 10 times what I lost. www.sabbathtruth.com. There are more websites but truthfully this is what convince me. I have bible DVD, info - tons of bibles I went to all the websites I could find and this one answers all the questions. All the question or reason that some pastors tell you to not honor it as well. Most of the reason we are familiar with - with scripture. God will bless your searching.

Last edited:

divya

Hi MSA,

That's absolutely not a dumb question, and please feel free to ask more. :) God chose the 7th day as the day of rest as a memorial of creation.

Genesis 2:2 - And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

The Ten Commandments - which were not nailed to the cross - tell us to keep the 7th day holy. The 7-day cycle has been studied numerous times and has been found to be the same day that Jesus Himself observed. The site that BlazingThru has posted, gives a good explanation in the Sabbath Questions and Answers section. In certain cultures, the 7th-day is called Saturday. In other cultures, it likely has another name. The key, however, keeping the 7th day holy.

God specifically set out a particular day, so for that reason, we cannot choose any day we desire. The 7th day is special to the Lord, and therefore should be the same to us.
Here are a few verses posted earlier...

Hebrews 4:4 -11 - For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

God bless.

Blossssom

Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy. For six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your G-d; you shall not do any work-you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.

Yea, well tell that to the electric company; the cable company and every other luxury that demands that SOMEBODY work 24 hours a day!

I'm not sitting in darkness with no TV and no running water regardless of what day it is.

divya

Yea, well tell that to the electric company; the cable company and every other luxury that demands that SOMEBODY work 24 hours a day!

I'm not sitting in darkness with no TV and no running water regardless of what day it is.

Philippians 4:19 - But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

God is big enough to provide everything we need if we do as He commands. God is the same yesterday, today and forever. The Sabbath should be keep holy, because it is God's law. :yep:

hurricane

Philippians 4:19 - But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

God is big enough to provide everything we need if we do as He commands. God is the same yesterday, today and forever. The Sabbath should be keep holy, because it is God's law. :yep:

I agree with this. Right now I am in the process of finding a church that recoginizes the seventh day. Until then, I try not to do anything but rest.

This would be hard for those who work on the weekend.

Blossssom

PG&E was $250 last month... it's 2 months behind... and ComCast called last week. I owe them $180 to keep the service on. God? :sad:

Just kidding! ;)

I know... God has always provided for me, and I trust he will until the day he shuts my eyes... I'm counting on that :drunk:

:)

divya

I agree with this. Right now I am in the process of finding a church that recoginizes the seventh day. Until then, I try not to do anything but rest.

This would be hard for those who work on the weekend.

Wonderful! I pray that God leads you to find the right congregation.

Many people have given up or lost their jobs in order to keep the Sabbath. But God rewards those who are faithful to Him. :yep:

JinaRicci

^^ Totally agree. The Sabbath is the 7th day- on our calendar that happens to be Saturday (or Sabado).

The scripture that really tells me how specific God is about this and no other day is the 4th commandment. So I go back to this...
Exodus 20: 8-11
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days thou shalt labor and do all thy work but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God..."

Also, the story in the Bible of manna is one of my favorites and it shows how serious God is about this particular day. Exodus 16: 1-36.

God sent it from heaven every day but the 7th day because He wanted them to keep the Sabbath and not do any work of going out and collecting the food. v. 26: "Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the sabbath, there will be none."

He still provided for them- he just sent extra manna on the 6th day that would keep until the Sabbath. The interesting thing is that if they were greedy and tried to keep any extras on any other day, it would spoil. And the people who still went out on the Sabbath, hoping to find some fresh manna found none. So it was a double miracle with a lesson in it to drive home the point. They did this for 40 years. And still after thousands of years, the day remains the same.

I love this thread ladies- I see it's an older one but hope we keep it going. I needed this- it's right on time.