Questions about the Sabbath Day & to Keep it Holy...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Exodus 20: 8-11 says "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD your God: in it you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger that is within your gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

I've seen a few debates about whether Christians should worship on Sunday or Saturday. Seventh Day Adventist say Saturday while Protestants say Sunday. From the verses above, I take that we should rest and do no work on the seventh day aka Sabbath Day aka Saturday.

My questions:

If the Sabbath day is the seventh day which is Saturday and we are to do no work and should rest, should that also mean no church services on Saturday?

How is "going to church" on Saturday considered resting and not working?

Does "keep it holy" mean "worship, serve, and fellowship in church with believers"?

Was Sunday or Saturday the original seventh day of the week?

All responses are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Aviah

From what I understand, the Sabbath was a Saturday. It was changed when under Roman Emperor Constantine "changed" it to Sunday (Did Constantine change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday? ). Since then people have continued to follow suit.

Some will disagree on this, but again, from what I understand we are no longer under the old testament rule, and are no longer obligated to keep the Sabbath, which I can expand on if you wish. But in regards to your question, if it is still in effect, its a Saturday, and you can worship any day you want... Its just logical that if they only had one day off back in those days out of seven, that would be the day you go to worship in the Synagogue/Church.

Poohbear

From what I understand, the Sabbath was a Saturday. It was changed when under Roman Emperor Constantine "changed" it to Sunday (Did Constantine change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday? ). Since then people have continued to follow suit.

Some will disagree on this, but again, from what I understand we are no longer under the old testament rule, and are no longer obligated to keep the Sabbath, which I can expand on if you wish. But in regards to your question, if it is still in effect, its a Saturday, and you can worship any day you want... Its just logical that if they only had one day off back in those days out of seven, that would be the day you go to worship in the Synagogue/Church.

Thank you, but I know that the reason for not keeping the Sabbath is because Jesus didn't (Matthew 12:10; Mark 3:2, John 9:14–16). I really wasn't asking about that though.

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is this: Isn't worshiping and serving in a church building a form of work and labor whether the Sabbath is on Saturday or Sunday?

And if the Sabbath is Saturday, shouldn't the Seventh Day Adventist be resting instead of "going to church" that day?

(hope that makes sense)

Aviah

I get what you mean, and was aware of the question, maybe it would fall under Matthew 12:5? I know it talks specifically about priests, and I would guess that was a priests "work" so he was excused, but I would guess there was nothing wrong with worshiping on a Saturday if even Jews did it before Jesus and there's nothing written about it (that I have seen)?

You were also allowed to travel for anything up to a half-mile (roughly) on a sabbath day, known as a Sabbath day's journey. But I would guess unless you're travelling longer than that, its not a problem? IMHO worship isn't "work".

dicapr

I would like to point out that Jesus did not break the Sabbath. He could not have broken one of the commandments and continued to be sinless. The bible points out that breaking one makes you guilty of breaking them all. If that was truly the case he could not have been our sacrifice. Even if you believe that Jesus kept them and forfilled them he still would have to have kept them perfectly for us.

Guitarhero

I would like to point out that Jesus did not break the Sabbath. He could not have broken one of the commandments and continued to be sinless. The bible points out that breaking one makes you guilty of breaking them all. If that was truly the case he could not have been our sacrifice. Even if you believe that Jesus kept them and forfilled them he still would have to have kept them perfectly for us.

We have 2 incidences where Jesus broke the Sabbath law in Luke.

<< Luke 6 >>
New International Version Lord of the Sabbath
1One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and his disciples began to pick some heads of grain, rub them in their hands and eat the kernels. 2Some of the Pharisees asked, “Why are you doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?”
3Jesus answered them, “Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4He entered the house of God, and taking the consecrated bread, he ate what is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions.” 5Then Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”
6On another Sabbath he went into the synagogue and was teaching, and a man was there whose right hand was shriveled. 7The Pharisees and the teachers of the law were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal on the Sabbath. 8But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Get up and stand in front of everyone.” So he got up and stood there.
9Then Jesus said to them, “I ask you, which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?”
10He looked around at them all, and then said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He did so, and his hand was completely restored. 11But they were furious and began to discuss with one another what they might do to Jesus.

This was partly to demonstrate the He was the L-rd of the Sabbath and had authority over it...as well as to point out that the day of rest was made for us and not us for it (uber legalism where one loses the deeper level of meaning).

Last edited:
I'm SDA myself, born and raised. From what I've been taught, the Sabbath is a gift. I always get excited for the Sabbath, because on that one day, I can truly set aside my trials, tribulations, and transgressions, and simply praise God. The Day of Rest doesn't necessarily mean a day of slumber and sleep (although a Sabbath nap is always nice!). On the Sabbath, we're just meant to do whatever we can to glorify Him to the greatest of our ability.

On many occasions, my family skips church all together, and we just go to the park, (with a few scriptures) and enjoy God's beautiful creation in peace. We youth may also go to the homeless shelter or the nursing home on the Sabbath, and sing Hymns. Yes, some (like the Pharisees :nono:) may judge and criticize you for not being in front-row church pews every Saturday morning. They may gossip about you for working on the Sabbath (even if you're doing the Lord's work). Ultimately, The Sabbath shouldn't be about laws or rules. It should be about doing what is most right and most just in the eyes of God.

Should Jesus have let the poor man suffer because it was the Sabbath? Of course not! He was an example of his loving father, even on the day of rest. My God is not a cruel God, and He knew the hearts of those hypocrite Pharisees. So what? Jesus healed on the Sabbath, indeed he did! And, since it brought glory to Jehovah on High, Jesus was not breaking the commandment. Instead, he became an example to the finger-pointing Pharisees. He showed that:

A.) He who is without sin can, by all means, cast the first stone. :look:
B.) Any actions or work that laud and acknowledge Our Father are awesome. If they're good enough for Jesus, then they're DEFINITELY good enough for the Sabbath!

I hope that answers some of your questions! :grin:

Last edited:

dicapr

We have 2 incidences where Jesus broke the Sabbath law in Luke.

<< Luke 6 >>
New International Version Lord of the Sabbath
1One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and his disciples began to pick some heads of grain, rub them in their hands and eat the kernels. 2Some of the Pharisees asked, “Why are you doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?”
3Jesus answered them, “Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4He entered the house of God, and taking the consecrated bread, he ate what is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions.” 5Then Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”
6On another Sabbath he went into the synagogue and was teaching, and a man was there whose right hand was shriveled. 7The Pharisees and the teachers of the law were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal on the Sabbath. 8But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Get up and stand in front of everyone.” So he got up and stood there.
9Then Jesus said to them, “I ask you, which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?”
10He looked around at them all, and then said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He did so, and his hand was completely restored. 11But they were furious and began to discuss with one another what they might do to Jesus.

This was partly to demonstrate the He was the L-rd of the Sabbath and had authority over it...as well as to point out that the day of rest was made for us and not us for it (uber legalism where one loses the deeper level of meaning).

He was pointing out how to keep the Sabbath. God never intended individuals to suffer on the Sabbath. If you study in Lev. you will see that breaking of the Sabbath involved buying, selling, and doing manual labor. The priests taught "the traditions" of men rather than obeying the commands of God. Jesus, son of God, had a greater knowledge and understanding of what Sabbath rest really meant. He was simply correcting an error in understanding. He was showing us that Sabbath he was Lord of the Sabbath and it was made for our enjoyment. Somehow that has gotten twisted into we no longer should accept the gift of Sabbath rest. Any fulfillment of the law took place at the cross, not during his ministry. He would not have done away with part of his law until he had kept it perfectly for us.

dicapr

I'm SDA myself, born and raised. From what I've been taught, the Sabbath is a gift. I always get excited for the Sabbath, because on that one day, I can truly set aside my trials, tribulations, and transgressions, and simply praise God. The Day of Rest doesn't necessarily mean a day of slumber and sleep (although a Sabbath nap is always nice!). On the Sabbath, we're just meant to do whatever we can to glorify Him to the greatest of our ability.

On many occasions, my family skips church all together, and we just go to the park, (with a few scriptures) and enjoy God's beautiful creation in peace. We youth may also go to the homeless shelter or the nursing home on the Sabbath, and sing Hymns. Yes, some (like the Pharisees :nono:) may judge and criticize you for not being in front-row church pews every Saturday morning. They may gossip about you for working on the Sabbath (even if you're doing the Lord's work). Ultimately, The Sabbath shouldn't be about laws or rules. It should be about doing what is most right and most just in the eyes of God.

Should Jesus have let the poor man suffer because it was the Sabbath? Of course not! He was an example of his loving father, even on the day of rest. My God is not a cruel God, and He knew the hearts of those hypocrite Pharisees. So what? Jesus healed on the Sabbath, indeed he did! And, since it brought glory to Jehovah on High, Jesus was not breaking the commandment. Instead, he became an example to the finger-pointing Pharisees. He showed that:

A.) He who is without sin can, by all means, can cast the first stone. :look:
B.) Any actions or work that laud and acknowledge Our Father are awesome. If they're good enough for Jesus, then they're DEFINITELY good enough for the Sabbath!

Ladies from my mother's church will go and clean sick and shut in member's houses on Sabbath. Jesus showed us the right way to keep Sabbath by spending time with God and by helping our brothers and sisters.

hair_rehab

He was pointing out how to keep the Sabbath. God never intended individuals to suffer on the Sabbath. If you study in Lev. you will see that breaking of the Sabbath involved buying, selling, and doing manual labor. The priests taught "the traditions" of men rather than obeying the commands of God. Jesus, son of God, had a greater knowledge and understanding of what Sabbath rest really meant. He was simply correcting an error in understanding. He was showing us that Sabbath he was Lord of the Sabbath and it was made for our enjoyment. Somehow that has gotten twisted into we no longer should accept the gift of Sabbath rest. Any fulfillment of the law took place at the cross, not during his ministry. He would not have done away with part of his law until he had kept it perfectly for us.

I agree. The Pharisees were legalistic and made up a bunch of extra laws on how to obey the law. Just Like Luke 7:6 said, they were "looking for a reason to accuse Jesus."

Katherina

Thank you, but I know that the reason for not keeping the Sabbath is because Jesus didn't (Matthew 12:10; Mark 3:2, John 9:14–16). I really wasn't asking about that though.

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is this: Isn't worshiping and serving in a church building a form of work and labor whether the Sabbath is on Saturday or Sunday?

And if the Sabbath is Saturday, shouldn't the Seventh Day Adventist be resting instead of "going to church" that day?

(hope that makes sense)

Jesus didn't keep the Sabbath the same way as the Pharisees, but Jesus went into the synagogue to pray and teach on the Sabbath day.

Mark 1:21
Jesus and His disciples "went into Capernaum; and straightway on the Sabbath day Jesus entered into the synagogue, and taught."

It was also customary for him to go to the synagogue and pray on the Sabbath day.

Luke 4:16
He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read.

The Seventh-day Adventist church is heavily invested in healthcare and international mission work, and some Seventh-day Adventists do work on the Sabbath for pay. Depending on what the profession is, it's considered okay by the church. Medical doctors and nurses are among those professions able to do so in good church standing. Jesus' Sabbath healing and the following verse are often cited:

Luke 6:9
"Jesus said to them, "I will ask you one thing: Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy?"

I don't understand how going to church in a building to worship on the Sabbath can be considered breaking the Sabbath. ETA: Resting on the Sabbath is basically just avoiding secular cares.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

Per the bolded...if you reread my post...that's what I said:yep:. Furthermore, the passage in Luke showed how Jesus broke the Sabbath law, twice, long before his crucifixion. THere are laws handed down directly by G-d detailing what is permissible and what is not. The so-called laws of men are fence laws built around as a protection, not to readily break the direct commands. I'm very familiar with the synagogue...first-hand participation...that's where I used to worship..and still do at times. My father worshiped in synagogue and my mom kept kosher...to a certain extent. I used to keep Shabbat. Sometimes, I still do..in little ways. He broke the Sabbath as the L-rd of the Sabbath. You can't even tear a piece of toilet paper on Shabbat lol. Jesus broke it and that's why the officials were angered and attempted to charge Him with heresy and whatnot, trying to trap him.

Guitarhero

:blush:I was trying to enbolden the two occasions mentioned...not the "into the synagogue" because I fully know that you can daven (pray) at home lol! Maybe that was the confusion. I'm not saying you HAVE to go to the temple on Shabbat at all...I was pointing out where Jesus broke the Shabbat with authority as the L-rd of the Sabbath and the revealed Messiah who gave the law at Sinai.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

The Seventh-day Adventist church is heavily invested in healthcare and international mission work, and some Seventh-day Adventists do work on the Sabbath for pay. Depending on what the profession is, it's considered okay by the church. Medical doctors and nurses are among those professions able to do so in good church standing. Jesus' Sabbath healing and the following verse are often cited:

The SDA and Jewish hospitals are incredible and are among the top in the nation. Well, y'all got it from the Jews. :grin: There's one in my former town in Shawnee Mission and they are fantabolus with their bakery and everything. Very big on nutrition and sell goods to the general public. Awesome hospital.:yep: Just a side-thought...but great memory.

Prudent1

A.) He who is without sin can, by all means, cast the first stone. :look:

ITA with your entire post but especially the bolded. Was the day changed? Probably so. Does that dishonor God? Probably not. I think he is far more concerned with whether we rest and reflect on him and whether there is godly balance in our lives. Sometimes, i do not go to church. I may head outside with my bible etc in hand too. Would that be the only thing I did? No. Would I use that as an excuse to forsake assembling with other believers? No. When is it not a good time to emulate Jesus? Good question Pooh.

Honi

There is no board.
The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. In Judaism, days are counted from sunset on one day until sunset on the next day. So the seventh day of creation corresponds to sunset on Friday evening to sunset on Saturday evening.

Rainbow Dash

Christ is our rest.

Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

God has replaced the Sabbath of the Old Covenant with a new Sabbath (which means 'rest').

Christ is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28). Jesus kept the Sabbath because he still lived under the Old Covenant. The New Covenant only took effect after his death (Heb. 9:15,16).

The Sabbath and other institutions of the Old Covenant were according to this text just a shadow of the New Covenant. Now that Christ has come, these shadows are no longer applicable. See also Gal. 3:23-25.

Paul attended Jewish meetings on the Sabbath to have an opportunity to preach Christ to them (Acts 1314; 16:13; 18:4). But in the New Testament one never reads of a Christian assembly on the Sabbath.

So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, Colossians 2:6

SimplyBlessed

Good thread...this is always a debate.. Is it saturday or sunday?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

Guitarhero

Sabbath was given to all mankind, actually. It is a gift. The reason christians worship on Sunday is that it's the Day of the L-rd. There are many oppositions out there to the true history of it...but it was so, and also evolved to distinguish themselves from the non-believers. The church is very much "Jewish" because the revelation at Sinai was to the whole world, not just to the Hebrews. And....the new day begins at sundown...so Saturday, is actually Friday evening until Saturday evening, until it become Sunday vespers. Our day of weekly obligation is Sunday. So why can you fulfill that obligation on Satuday night? Because Sunday morning actually begins on Saturday evening. This is the way it's been for millennia. So, Saturday/Sunday...tomay-to, tomah-to, basically.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Thanks for explaining!!!

dicapr

Per the bolded...if you reread my post...that's what I said:yep:. Furthermore, the passage in Luke showed how Jesus broke the Sabbath law, twice, long before his crucifixion. THere are laws handed down directly by G-d detailing what is permissible and what is not. The so-called laws of men are fence laws built around as a protection, not to readily break the direct commands. I'm very familiar with the synagogue...first-hand participation...that's where I used to worship..and still do at times. My father worshiped in synagogue and my mom kept kosher...to a certain extent. I used to keep Shabbat. Sometimes, I still do..in little ways. He broke the Sabbath as the L-rd of the Sabbath. You can't even tear a piece of toilet paper on Shabbat lol. Jesus broke it and that's why the officials were angered and attempted to charge Him with heresy and whatnot, trying to trap him.

From a Christian point of view, he could not have actually broke the Sabbath. He was our blameless sacrifice before the Father. He said himself he was here to do the will of the Father. Breaking a command from the Father could not have been doing his will. Keeping the Sabbath for Jews still follows the Rabbidical interpretation of the Law. Jesus, being the Son of God had a better understanding of the Law than the leaders did. Having been with God and being one with God he had far better understanding of what was meant by work than we as humans could ever comprehend. Saying Jesus broke the law is like saying the author of a book was wrong about motivation of thier characters. What the leaders could not comprehend was that their understanding of the law was flawed. Jesus never broke God's Sabbath, just the Jews.