A Braided Bang/Fringe (an idea for both natural and relaxed)

Bublin

This is a WG styling her hair with a braided fringe (thats what we call it in the UK!).

I think i'm gonna try this as i sooo want to wear some kind of a fringe but my hair is too long at the front and would revert anyway.

I think its a great idea for naturals whom want some kind of a fringe and a protective style for the hairline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1_PvHPf_no&feature=watch_response

What do you think?

Nonie

I haven't watched the vid yet but I've been wearing extension braids on most of my hair except in the front where I wear my own hair in a twisted fringe now for about a year. I don't braid my fringe/bangs because my hair locs if washed as often as I wash when braided IF extension hair isn't included in the braid to keep my strands apart. So twists are my chosen bangs/fringe.

They are pretty long now even after washing (pic), so I just treat them like curtains and part them then push them to the sides. Or I side-sweep them as I did here:

Bublin

Thanks Nonie, i like ur fringe but this one is a cornrow but hanging down-not close to the scalp-well thats how i plan to do mine.

Ms.Christ3n

I've always liked the braided fringe. It reminds me of the Lauren C's braid.

Everytime I try it with a tight braid, I look old-fashioned. Then when I try it with a loose braid I look undone.

Post pics when you do try it Bublin!:grin:

Nonie

Thanks Nonie, i like ur fringe but this one is a cornrow but hanging down-not close to the scalp-well thats how i plan to do mine.

Oh, I just watched it, so I see what you mean. I've done that before when I had relaxed hair and wanted to create the look of having very short hair. My hair was about neck length/almost shoulder at the nape, but I wanted it to look like it was a short bob all round. My fringe was angled though. I'm washing my hair today and I've undone my twists to repart them afresh, so if I have time, I'll do a quick demo of how my fringe looked back then.

I haven't done it with my hair shrunken because I like to stretch the whole length...so braiding just near the ends in order for it to qualify as a fringe would not help my goals.

davisbr88

I saw this in Essence!
I'm going to try it out next week. :grin:

Attachments

• Plaits Please.jpg
    Plaits Please.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 68

Nonie

^^ :yep: That's how I did mine.

ETA: Except most of the time I did it you didn't really see the cornrow but it's side. It looked more like a flat twist than cornrow.

Last edited:

davisbr88

I'm not a good cornrow braider so that should be an interesting experiment... lol. I'll post pics if I figure it out.

Lady S

I haven't watched the vid yet but I've been wearing extension braids on most of my hair except in the front where I wear my own hair in a twisted fringe now for about a year. I don't braid my fringe/bangs because my hair locs if washed as often as I wash when braided IF extension hair isn't included in the braid to keep my strands apart. So twists are my chosen bangs/fringe.

They are pretty long now even after washing (pic), so I just treat them like curtains and part them then push them to the sides. Or I side-sweep them as I did here:

That is so cute, Nonie!!

Bublin

davisbr88, i have to confess i saw this in the mag and i've been trying to get it to look the same. Everytime i do it the fringe springs up and looks puffy on top. Im convinced there's some pinning going on. I went on youtube to find something similar.

Last edited:

Bublin

OK - i don't like the way it came out and the girl in the Essence pic must have hair added hair because my braid is pathetic looking.

This is about my 5th attempt. I tried pulling the the braid right down over my forehead but it just seemed to spring up. I tried with more hair sectioned off and less hair and i still didn't like it.
Maybe once i'm fully natural it will look different.
I have to keep my word so here is a quick pick my DH took (i woke him from his armchair nap :grin:)

Sorry the pics are so big.

ajoke

Bublin, I think you might have braided too tight. I used to have a thin braid until I started first stretching the hair after washing, and then later do the braided fringe.

ETA: I think it looks quite nice and you can experiment to get a bigger braid. Also you might be right about the relaxed hair being the culprit here. My hair is all natural.

Bublin

Thanks ajoke. My hair had been blowdried but not flatironed. I will try and do it looser next time but i'm sure the braid would fall apart. Thin hair + relaxed ends = anorexic braids LoL.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Instead of doing the braid cornrow(underbraid) do a french braid (overbraid). Also, dont braid so close to the hair line. Instead of braiding looking in the mirror the entire time, try to braid a little without looking. Try to do the braid with as little product since you are working with two different textures and when doing the braid try to make sure that each piece is the same size so the braid is uniform. Sometimes when we are trying to get something perfect it causes us to over do it and the braid winds up too tight. This style should be a little loose looking.

Do the scarf method for the hairline or blowdry on cool so your hair will dry thicker looking and then braid.

We want a picture next time

Nonie

^^ :yep: Also notice that the Essence model is using more hair (her section starts from halfway back) and when she's braiding she's holding more hair while you're taking thin sections.

Bublin, I used to do my bob with a braid like yours. I liked it not being so obvious that it was a braid coz that's the look I was going for.