Mini tutorial: Making Faux Bangs!

unalteredone

I have always had "bangs", aka my hair was always broken off in the front from too many ponytails as a teenager. When i got a little older, i cut them into real, side swooped bangs and loved it. Last year, i got real, blunt bangs, but i was too chicken to cut that much of my hair that short so i only let my stylist do a thin layer. To be honest i didnt like them except sometimes when i was wearing my hair up...i have a roundish face so i didn't like so much of my face being covered with my hair down. Now my old bangs have grown to my chin, so they really can't be considered bangs anymore. I was getting kind of bored, so i thought... why not make some bangs to wear with my protective styles? It's super easy...pretty much too easy to even bother making a tutorial, but i've never done one so I'm gonna do it anyway!

Making a Faux Fringe (Pictures are in order below)

1. Get some weave hair. Measure a track from about temple to temple, and snip it there. Then cut the length of the hair roughly in half, keeping in mind not to cut it too short.

2. Wash the hair. (I used a clarifying shampoo.) If it's already clean, skip to step 4.

3. Blowdry and flatiron the hair so that you can be sure not to miss any tangled hairs, and to get them even.

4. Smooth your hair back into a ponytail, making sure that none of your real hair is mixing with the fake hair. Use a fine toothed comb to groom them, and then bobby pin them in place. I suggest pinning the top of the track about 3 or so inches away from your actual hair line, or right in the middle of where you'd normally wear a headband.

5. Put on one of your favorite headbands, preferably about 2 inches thick (or thicker). Tie it as tight as you would normally tie it. This will keep the bangs in place as well as give you a better idea of how it will look when you style it.

6. Cut the hair to your own specifications. I wanted to have 2 choices: a shorter bang that just touches my eyebrows, and a longer bang that almost gets into my eyes. I cut my "bangs" between these two points, knowing that i can wear them slightly more forward or back on my head to create the desired effect. I kept the flatiron handy to smooth the hair in case it was too curled under, or if i wanted to see how they look with a bump.

7. Enjoy your removable bangs! All of the cuteness, for a fraction of the price of going to to a stylist or the risk of making a mistake!:yep:

If you had a thinner headband that you like to wear a lot, i'd suggest sewing the track onto the headband so that you'd have no worries about the band slipping and revealing your faux bang track. Make sure then that the head band is secure so that you dont end up with a face full of hair or a bang for your ponytail.

See post #10 For my explanation of this!
HTH!

Attachments

• Photo 25.jpg
    Photo 25.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Photo 27.jpg
    Photo 27.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 225
  • Photo 23.jpg
    Photo 23.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Photo 22.jpg
    Photo 22.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Photo 19.jpg
    Photo 19.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
TOO CUTE!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll be trying this!

unalteredone

So i decided to take my own advice and make a bang for a thinner headband. I used the Scuni Ouchless No Slip headbands, which are a little less than half an inch thick, i'd say.

I measured the track to be the same length as the first set of bangs i made, and then cut the length by about 1/3. Because of the way that i wear this headband (i always wear two at a time, so this one will be the one farthest from my hair line) i knew i needed to keep the hair a little longer than the first set in order to get the same effect.

I sewed the track to the headband after washing the hair and blowdrying it. Then i put it on and flatironed it before cutting it.

And Voila! A discreet way to put on fake bangs, no bobby pins required!

Attachments

• Photo 28.jpg
    Photo 28.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Photo 29.jpg
    Photo 29.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Photo 30.jpg
    Photo 30.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 184

MA2010

^^^ Very nice! I like this way a lot. I have tons of hair bands just collecting dust.

Thanks for the tip. I have to give this a try! I haven't had bangs in months.

QueenC71

Thanks for sharing. This allows me to keep my protective style but still be able to cover my forehead.

SelfStyled

This is so creative! I am thinking of endless possibilities. I am could do the headband bang with my half wigs. Alos this is perfect for once you have a lot of NG and you just want to cover it up. Thanks so much for sharing.

Demi27

This is a great idea.
Now that I'm bunning again, this will give me more options.
Thanks OP!

BlackMasterPiece

I think this is absolutely brilliant:clapping: I'm soooooo doing this when I straighten again:yep: an awesome way to get a chic look without sacrificing a thing.....cuz lawd knows I aint willin to cut my bangs I'm lettin thum bad boyz GROW!!:lol:

This is so exciting!

I'm gonna feature this style idea on my blog and credit you:yep:

pookaloo83

I did it. Here's my pic

Last edited: