A Primer on the Apostolic Fathers

Galadriel

Christianity is a historic religion. We have roots going back 2,000 years to the time of Christ and the Apostles. So why do many of us in this day and age know very little about our Church Fathers, theologians, martyrs, and heroes of the faith who lived in 200 AD? 300 AD? 500 AD?

Did you know as early as 150 AD Christian leaders wrote in defense of the Trinity?

Did you know that the Christian Church was first called "Catholic" in 110 AD by Saint Ignatius of Antioch,who was a disciple of the Apostle John?

Did you know that the men who studied under the Apostles themselves and led the Church as Bishops are known as "Apostolic Fathers"? Are you interested in what they had to say about Christ, Scripture, church practice, etc?

This thread is a Primer on the Apostolic Fathers, where we can answer these questions and explore what Christians taught, believed, lived and died for throughout the centuries.

Saint Polycarp
Apostolic Father, Martyr
65 AD - 155 AD

Imagine being able to sit at the feet of the apostles and hear their stories of life with Jesus from their own lips. Imagine walking with those who had walked with Jesus, seen him, and touched him. That was what Polycarp was able to do as a disciple of Saint John the Evangelist.

But being part of the second generation of Church leaders had challenges that the first generation could not teach about. What did you do when those eyewitnesses were gone? How do you carry on the correct teachings of Jesus? How do you answer new questions that never came up before?

With the apostles gone, heresies sprang up pretending to be true teaching, persecution was strong, and controversies arose over how to celebrate liturgy that Jesus never laid down rules for.

Polycarp, as a holy man and bishop of Smyrna, found there was only one answer -- to be true to the life of Jesus and imitate that life. Saint Ignatius of Antioch told Polycarp "your mind is grounded in God as on an immovable rock."

--from (Catholic.Org)

Polycarp is credited with fighting against the Marcionite heresy. What is it? Marcionism (created by a man, Marcion) taught that the God of the OT and the God of the NT were two separate gods--one good, the other evil.

Polycarp lived during one of the waves of Roman persecution. He was burned and stabbed, but did not deny Christ. In fact, this is the prayer he made right before being martyred:

"Lord God Almighty, Father of your beloved and blessed Son Jesus Christ, through whom we have received knowledge of you, God of angels and powers, of the whole creation and of the whole race of the righteous who live in your sight, I bless you, for having made me worthy of this day and hour, I bless you, because I may have a part, along with the martyrs, in the chalice of your Christ, to resurrection in eternal life, resurrection both of soul and body in the incorruptibility of the Holy Spirit. May I be received today, as a rich and acceptable sacrifice, among those who are in you presence, as you have prepared and foretold and fulfilled, God who is faithful and true. For this and for all benefits I praise you, I bless you, I glorify you, through the eternal and heavenly High Priest, Jesus Christ, your beloved Son, through whom be to you with him and the Holy Spirit glory, now and for all the ages to come. Amen."

Belle Du Jour

Thank you for starting this! I'm going to be bold and say most modern Christians know nothing about the history of their faith. I know because I used to be one of those people. There is still sooooo much for me to learn and discern but IMO, most people don't want to do the study because they are afraid of what they might discover. It's easier to stick with what you've been taught.

I still need to read this story about a Pentecotal minister started doing a study of early church writings and tried to change his church to reflect that.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to getting much fruit out of this thread, even if it's just a handful of us participating LOL.

Belle Du Jour

The Didache or The Teachings of the Twelve Apostles dates back to the late 1st or early 2nd century AD. It is considered to be a collection of instructions given by Jesus to the disciples on how to adapt Jewish traditions for Gentiles. It provides a lot of insight into the life of early Jewish Christians. The Didache talks about "the two ways," that is the way of life and the way of death; baptism; communion; fasting and other things.

It's a short read and you can get it online here or download a copy for your kindle for $1. :yep.

auparavant

I still need to read this story about a Pentecotal minister started doing a study of early church writings and tried to change his church to reflect that.
\

Was that a white pentecostal minister? There was one protestant who became an orthodox priest and evangelized AA communities, gaining many converts. He fell ill for sometime but I cannot remember his name to see if he recovered. He had several recorded sermons on Youtube of his homilies and the guy was like a Black preacher!!! Pretty amazing.

Belle Du Jour

\

Was that a white pentecostal minister? There was one protestant who became an orthodox priest and evangelized AA communities, gaining many converts. He fell ill for sometime but I cannot remember his name to see if he recovered. He had several recorded sermons on Youtube of his homilies and the guy was like a Black preacher!!! Pretty amazing.

No, it's Alex Jones, the guy on the cover of the book I posted. He's a deacon in the Catholic church now (since he was married with children when he was a Pentecostal minister).

Elnahna

@ Galadriel , I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread, but I will be here soaking in all of this information, and start studying on my own.

I was raised in the CME churches and I went to Sunday school every Sunday. During this time I was never encouraged to read the bible and develop a relationship with God. But in the last few years God is really working on me and I desire to know Him, myself. I want him to be my Abba.

All of that to say, " Thank you for this thread."

auparavant

belle_du_Jour Haha...I thought he was your siggy and wondered why it appeared in my "reply" post. LOL.

Anyhoo, I'd like to know about heresies...thinking...might put it into another thread.

Can we all put our posts under "For Catholics: ...." so they are easier to peruse under search feature?

Last edited:

Galadriel

The Didache or The Teachings of the Twelve Apostles dates back to the late 1st or early 2nd century AD. It is considered to be a collection of instructions given by Jesus to the disciples on how to adapt Jewish traditions for Gentiles. It provides a lot of insight into the life of early Jewish Christians. The Didache talks about "the two ways," that is the way of life and the way of death; baptism; communion; fasting and other things.

It's a short read and you can get it online here or download a copy for your kindle for $1. :yep.

Another interesting fact about the Didache is that it was one of the first explicit (written) Christian condemnations of abortion.

Galadriel

No, it's Alex Jones, the guy on the cover of the book I posted. He's a deacon in the Catholic church now (since he was married with children when he was a Pentecostal minister).

Interesting! I know some married Protestant ministers who convert to Catholicism become ordained priests (one of the few instances we'd have married priests).

Galadriel

@ Galadriel , I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread, but I will be here soaking in all of this information, and start studying on my own.

I was raised in the CME churches and I went to Sunday school every Sunday. During this time I was never encouraged to read the bible and develop a relationship with God. But in the last few years God is really working on me and I desire to know Him, myself. I want him to be my Abba.

All of that to say, " Thank you for this thread."

:grouphug:thanks, Elnahna

There are some ladies with some serious research skills and knowledge here (and are just plain edifying), so you'll find a lot of interesting and insightful posts in the Christian Forum.

Galadriel

Clement of Rome
Apostolic Father
d. 99 AD

Clement was made a bishop by St. Peter the Apostle. Clement became the Bishop of Rome, which....makes him a Pope!

Clement is best known for writing his letter or epistle to the congregation in Corinth (the Corinthians).

Why did he have to send them a letter? Well certain rebellious members actually deposed a couple of their Presbyters. During these days, Presbyters (whom today we call priests) worked side by side with the Bishops and carried out the leadership and teaching/preaching positions.

Clement told them that the Apostles appointed Bishops and Presbyters, and that they carry the Apostles' authority. Clement also mentions the presbyters have the duty of "offering the gifts" (i.e., Eucharist).

Clement also asserts the deity of Jesus Christ.

Clement quotes a LOT of Scripture, which is really cool because I'm sure many of us have heard people argue, "Well, the New Testament wasn't written until 300 AD" (or something similar). The Apostolic Fathers quote the New Testament (Gospels, Paul's letters) in their writings (remember, these are the 80s, 90s, early 100's AD).