A Question about Frizz and 4A/4B hair...

naijamerican

I have a question:

After looking at RobotX's thread about her professor and her beautiful hair, I realized that she and I have a very similar hair texture. The thing that stood out to me the most is that even her smallest coils were well-defined, whereas mine never are. I mean, my hair is definitely well-moisturized, but it occurred to me that maybe my hair is frizzy. I honestly can't tell, though (and sorry in advance; I have no pictures so I need personal experience on this one :lol:). I wanted to know, how do you know if your hair is frizzy or not? I know this is a dumb question but I always associated frizz with looser curls, not a 4A/B. My bad for my ignorance, especially after all these years of being here! :lol:

Good question. My hair is always frizzy too and I am a 4b. I thought it was just a texture thing before I started reading otherwise here. But now I DC every week and moisturize daily and there still isn't any difference. So i don't know. I believe mine just is frizzy.

I naturally have more frizz in the front but defined curls in the back. Im a 3c but I noticed that if I use a cone based product to leave in (i.e. pantene) , my frizz is a gazillion times worse and I have no hold. You would think that becasue pantene is a thick conditioner my curls would be well defined, but I get better results with a more watery based product like Suave coconut. So it can be exacerbated by the products you use to DC with and leave in too, and even how much water you decide to leave in your hair, not just solely the hair type.

It's really weird, because I feel that humidity actually helps define my curls better. So maybe it really does have to do with moisture? I use an olive and honey thing from Qhemet that's a humectant, so it's likely that while it's sealing moisture in, it's also drawing it from the air. I still don't really know if my hair is really frizzy, though, or if it's just the texture.

Thanks so much for responding, ladies. Bumping for more replies! :yep:

I'm able to get my coils somewhat defined, but I still have plenty frizz.

I think it may be a texture issue too. Some 4a's have a more frizzy/less frizzy texture, just like any other types.

My hair is kind of cottony so very frizz-prone. It's 4a with coils mainly on the larger end of that type but it gets so frizzy that it looks like something else. Although I always knew I had more 4a than 4b, I didn't realise it was about 95% 4a until I did a bentonite clay treatment. I was very surprised it cut out as much frizziness as it did.

I also reduce frizz by not using a towel on my hair any more. I band my hair when it's wet or damp now - that elongates my curls and if I do smaller sections (i.e - 8 sections instead of 4) gives my hair little crimples. The only way I can truly eliminate all frizz is just to do the Curlisto method using IC gel but it takes so long because of my dense hair.

i didn't have to worry about frizz unless i was somewhere with hard water. so maybe you can check that out. also, where i live its very humid so that may have helped.

I'm able to get my coils somewhat defined, but I still have plenty frizz.

I think it may be a texture issue too. Some 4a's have a more frizzy/less frizzy texture, just like any other types.

:yep: I've been able to get my coils somewhat defined, too, but it seems to vary day by day even though I'm using the same products. :ohwell: It really just might be a texture thing. :yep:

My hair is kind of cottony so very frizz-prone. It's 4a with coils mainly on the larger end of that type but it gets so frizzy that it looks like something else. Although I always knew I had more 4a than 4b, I didn't realise it was about 95% 4a until I did a bentonite clay treatment. I was very surprised it cut out as much frizziness as it did.

I also reduce frizz by not using a towel on my hair any more. I band my hair when it's wet or damp now - that elongates my curls and if I do smaller sections (i.e - 8 sections instead of 4) gives my hair little crimples. The only way I can truly eliminate all frizz is just to do the Curlisto method using IC gel but it takes so long because of my dense hair.

Funny you say that about bentonite clay; I've been wanting to try that. :yep: Big chopping my hair in April is what revealed the 4A hair - up until that point, I thought I was only 4B. I saw that I'm about half and half. The middle is 4A and the sides are 4B. Banding my hair.... hadn't thought of that! I'll have to try that as my hair gets longer. :yep:

i didn't have to worry about frizz unless i was somewhere with hard water. so maybe you can check that out. also, where i live its very humid so that may have helped.

Good idea - I didn't even think of hard water!

Back