A question for ladies who wear sew-in's...

doll-baby

Do you add in hair when braiding your real hair ? Or do you just braid your hair with nothing added and then sew on the weft ?

I was just wondering if it would help support the weft that is being sewn in and take some of the stress of of my hair .

Any advice ?

trj1922

I am scheduled for my first sew-in tomorrow so I don't yet have personal experience. My hair is thin and fine though, so the plan is to braid the cornrows with extensions to give the tracks a firmer base and take some stress off of my own hair. This was the recommendation of the stylist. I think the important thing if your hair is fine, it to use a soft high-quality human hair for the braids because (at least for me) the coarse synthetic stuff chews up my natural hair. Good luck!

doll-baby

Thanks trj1922, that helps because normally I don't add in hair but I have started to notice breakage on the sides of my hair above my ear so that's why I'm going to start adding in hair when braiding.

Galadriel

I've done both before. Usually now I tend to just braid my own hair and then add the weft (my hair is pretty thick and strong). I think if your hair is more fine and delicate, then yes, you might want to go ahead and add hair into the braiding.

glamazon386

Do you add in hair when braiding your real hair ? Or do you just braid your hair with nothing added and then sew on the weft ?

I was just wondering if it would help support the weft that is being sewn in and take some of the stress of of my hair .

Any advice ?

It's not necessary but it helps the braids stay together longer if you're going to wash frequently. It is also used if the person has short or thin hair to filli tout. When I do my own weave I don't us it. When I had it done at the shop they used it most of the time or just on that weak patch in the back to get it braided. My current stylist does the net weave for me and doesn't use it. He said you don't need it with the net.

glamazon386

I am scheduled for my first sew-in tomorrow so I don't yet have personal experience. My hair is thin and fine though, so the plan is to braid the cornrows with extensions to give the tracks a firmer base and take some stress off of my own hair. This was the recommendation of the stylist. I think the important thing if your hair is fine, it to use a soft high-quality human hair for the braids because (at least for me) the coarse synthetic stuff chews up my natural hair. Good luck!

You're right the cheap synthetic hair will. But the Kanekalon will not.

yellow08

Any advice ?

I personally don't add any hair to my braid for one my hair doesn't need (thick enough) and because extra hair tends to dry out my hair (that's because my natural hair tends to be dry)

If you have fine hair or short hair then I would consider it.

But most important make sure your braids are not too tight which leads to damage...

ajacks

I personally don't add any hair to my braid for one my hair doesn't need (thick enough) and because extra hair tends to dry out my hair (that's because my natural hair tends to be dry)

If you have fine hair or short hair then I would consider it.

But most important make sure your braids are not too tight which leads to damage...

I don't use additional hair for this reason either. When it was too short to braid my stylist used a net.

J-Moe

Hey Ladies, I wear sew-ins to achieve my oh so desired BSL-MBL. In my experience, adding hair to my cornrows caused them to itch like crazy, seriously!!!. So, I braid with no added hair, and use a net. I like the net b/c it takes some of the stress off your braids but I find one disadvantage is it's harder to moisturize the scalp, even with an applicator tip. HTH