A restorative, repairing deep conditioning treatment is absolutely ESSENTIAL

varaneka

Also, how do you know if you are over conditioning? I wash my hair once a week and I dc with heat for 30 minutes after every wash.

I think the hair has to feel extremely mushy for you to know whether it's gotten too much moisture versus protein. correct me if I'm wrong LHCF!

Not to hijack the thread but the cooling down period is also a must when curling the hair, b4 removing rollers from rollerset/flexi/rod sets, etc., and if you blow dry do a shot of cool air through out the hair when done drying. I figure I would throw that out there since alot of pple didn't know about the cooling period for DC.

I had no idea so thank you!

Does anyone know if letting the hair cool off after using a heat source is still necessary if the conditioner is rinsed out with cold water?

I'm pretty sure that anytime a heat source, wet or dry, is applied to the hair (and skin) that a cold source will aid in maintaining the restored condition.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Thanks for the article. Very informative.

I knew about the cool down period. I think I read it in Ouidad's book. I usually let my hair cool down for half as much time as I let it DC for. For example, if I DC for 30 minutes, my cool down period would be for 15. Seems to work well for me.

Qualitee

Since the OP I've been practicing this and I must say it really works:yep:. My hair felt so much softer and more moisturized:up:

Brendita

If I'm rinsing with cold water after my DC, do I still need to do the 'cool down' period? I always thought the cold water closes the cuticles...
Yes, everyone, even if you use a cool or cold rinse, you need the cool down period. Cool water HELPS close the cuticles, but if you rinse the deep conditioner out immediately after you've heated your hair, most of the nutrients come out with the rinse water, regardless of the temperature. A cool water rinse helps with shine more than anything else, because it makes the cuticles lay flat.

drappedup

Wow, this was a very interesting read....didn't know about the cool down thing, and that heat cap looks amazing! I am tempted to buy :O

winona

you're welcome

I saw it tweeted by Brendita (a member here who makes Brendita's Body Works). If you're on twitter, her name is @BrenditaWorks. She is always posting on there.

I have a hooded dryer from Sally, but I rarely use it because it's hard to find a comfortable spot to sit and have the dryer at the right level

I have the cordless heat wrap that she mentions. It's so much easier. But I can't do rollersets with it lol ( not that it's relevant anymore since I shaved my head hehe)

This may seem a little ghetto but I put my ironing board against the wall and then sat my dryer on it. this way no matter what height you need it you can adjust.

Brendita

Bumping and wondering if anyone does less or fewer deep conditioning treatments in the warmer/hotter/boiling weather...? I do mine in the shower w/ my cordless heat cap, so the frequency never changes (every week)... But I am curious.