A Setback, is a setup, for a comeback!!!!

ms.blue

After I removed my weave in june of 2008, I didn't properly detangle my hair and preceded to wash my hair. My hair turned in huge knots that I had to cut off. I went from apl to about 2 to 3 inches all around. I was really upset b/c my whole intention was to grow out my hair to relax not to become natural. The next day I went to braid my hair & search online to learn how to grow my hair back quickly. Now I am almost where I was in 2008 and natural.

Last edited:

MoniintheMiddle

The first time I tried to transition, i didn't know to detangle prior to trying to shampoo. My hair tangled something awful. I had to cut A LOT of it off...that was a year and a half ago...now I'm back in stride again:yep:

Forever in Bloom

I don't have one just yet (and hopefully never will). I just wanted to say that I really liked your title. Preach! :notworthy

Nayna

Unbothered
My setback was wearing weaves a bit too often. My hair thinned out and I didn't even realize it. I went to the salon and the stylist was surprised that after being natural for darn near a year my hair wasn't fuller and longer. I quit them cold turkey in late 2008 and my hair is thanking me for it. I also found this site after I quit because I needed tips for thickening it up and working with it naturally. It's been a year and my hair has done a nice turnaround.

BlkOnyx488

After I removed my weave in june of 2008, I didn't properly detangle my hair and perceded to wash my hair. My hair turned in hugh knots that I had to cut off. I went from apl to about 2 to 3 inches all around. I was really upset b/c my whole intention was to grow out my hair to relax not to become natural. The next day I went to braid my hair & search online to learn how to grow my hair back quickly. Now I am almost where I was in 2008 and natural.

The first time I tried to transition, i didn't know to detangle prior to trying to shampoo. My hair tangled something awful. I had to cut A LOT of it off...that was a year and a half ago...now I'm back in stride again:yep:
@ms.blue and MoniintheMiddle
I watched the Video Atyeaa posted of step by step what she went through when that happen to her. It was very shocking I never knew that could happen, glad to here you are on the comeback:drunk:

I don't have one just yet (and hopefully never will). I just wanted to say that I really liked your title. Preach! :notworthy
how this one. a failure is just another opportunity to Get back up!:yep:

My setback was wearing weaves a bit too often. My hair thinned out and I didn't even realize it. I went to the salon and the stylist was surprised that after being natural for darn near a year my hair wasn't fuller and longer. I quit them cold turkey in late 2008 and my hair is thanking me for it. I also found this site after I quit because I needed tips for thickening it up and working with it naturally. It's been a year and my hair has done a nice turnaround.
Was it because they were too tight, or worn to long?
Glad you are on the comeback trail!

ms.blue

@ms.blue and MoniintheMiddle
I watched the Video Atyeaa posted of step by step what she went through when that happen to her. It was very shocking I never knew that could happen, glad to here you are on the comeback:drunk:

how this one. a failure is just another opportunity to Get back up!:yep:

I also saw that vid of ateyaa and it brought back memories. I just thought the water was going to melt my tangles to instantly detangle my hair, I was soooo wrong. Now I don't play around, I detangle after every take down of either braids or weaves.:yep:

kiesha8185

After I removed my weave in june of 2008, I didn't properly detangle my hair and preceded to wash my hair. My hair turned in huge knots that I had to cut off. I went from apl to about 2 to 3 inches all around. I was really upset b/c my whole intention was to grow out my hair to relax not to become natural. The next day I went to braid my hair & search online to learn how to grow my hair back quickly. Now I am almost where I was in 2008 and natural.

This is exactly what brought me to the hair boards. The only differences are that I had in kinky twists and I didn't cut off my hair. I just held on my raggedy ends for dear life :nono: The pics in my fotki shows it all. But my hair is better NOW than it was BEFORE I damaged it.

Everything happens for a reason. I'm very thankful for the hair boards and don't regret what I had to go through to be where I am now, hair-wise. I owe a lot you ladies!

BlkOnyx488

I was stalking your fotki your hair is amazing. Thanks for sharing your story.:yep:

This is exactly what brought me to the hair boards. The only differences are that I had in kinky twists and I didn't cut off my hair. I just held on my raggedy ends for dear life :nono: The pics in my fotki shows it all. But my hair is better NOW than it was BEFORE I damaged it.

Everything happens for a reason. I'm very thankful for the hair boards and don't regret what I had to go through to be where I am now, hair-wise. I owe a lot you ladies!

ladylibra_30

My setback was (my ignorance) and Bigen Oriental Black hair dye. I fell in total love with this dye and have not seen anything duplicate the intense and deep, deep black that I get (it is like the color of tar). I went looney applying this stuff like every 4-5 weeks! I had layered bra-strap hair at the time that began to shed and break but I STILL didn't put 2 and 2 together. So, I kept right on dyeing my hair like it was going out of style. Soon it became see-thru so I had 5-6 inches chopped off - STILL not putting 2 and 2 together I started looking at my products more carefully and trying to weed out the culprit (common sense should have stepped in but it didn't. It couldn't have been anything in my arsenal because I had been using them without any problems. Hello?!) I still was using Bigen and the lightbulb didn't go off upstairs. One day I wore a white T-shirt and I could see the shirt right through my hair...I was in tears and I complained to a longhaired friend (& my hairdresser) about my hair and told her what I had been using...she said Bigen is a permanent dye and shouldn't be used on relaxed hair!!! DING! DING! DING! The light came on HOWEVER I KNEW that permanent dye and relaxed hair is a no-no but Bigen fooled me because how could something you mix with water hurt your locks? Damn.

Anyway, I big-chopped on 7/08 to less than 1.5 inches all over. I've had 4 haircuts since then because I had to adjust to the grow-out phase each time and caved but I dug in my heels the last haircut and made it through. I'm currently wearing a bob that hits my jawbone and it's growing healthily :). Oh, it's burgundy-brown and I use SEMI-PERMANENT dye LOL! (I will be coloring my bob blue-black when I reach collar-bone length though.)

It's fun when people see me and comment that my hair is growing/growing back!

shopgalore

Lol!! You make me laugh with your titles! I need to read this thread, my hair is breaking at the moment, so I am enjoying reading about the comebacks!

BlkOnyx488

I am hopefully on the comeback road from a protein overload
So I needed some inspiration.

Have you pin-pointed what is causing your hair to break?
Have you considered putting your hair in a no manipulation style for a month or more
like braids or cornrows.
I have had to put my hair away for the winter:yep:

Lol!! You make me laugh with your titles! I need to read this thread, my hair is breaking at the moment, so I am enjoying reading about the comebacks!

MummysGirl

Setback in December 2009 (overprocessed ends, bad haircare for a couple of weeks) resulted in cutting about 4-5 inches, bear in mind that the picture on the left is of my hair in August '09 while the right is after my December Relaxer and cut:

Feb 2010, I am transitioning, I've had a couple of dustings/trims and my current length is:

Might not look like a lot of progress but considering the trims, I know how far I've come :yep: and I'm almost 14 months into my transition :yay:

BlkOnyx488

Yout hair looks very healthy. It looks like it's all one length too!!
That's a dream of mine no layers

Setback in December 2009 (overprocessed ends, bad haircare for a couple of weeks) resulted in cutting about 4-5 inches, bear in mind that the picture on the left is of my hair in August '09 while the right is after my December Relaxer and cut:
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/195_99/221_5/MAJORSETBACK795.jpg

Feb 2010, I am transitioning, I've had a couple of dustings/trims and my current length is:
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/195_99/221_5/straight1-vi.jpg

Might not look like a lot of progress but considering the trims, I know how far I've come :yep: and I'm almost 14 months into my transition :yay:

MummysGirl

Thanks, yes I have trimmed the most off at the back half of my hair (which grows much quicker) and didn't even notice the rest of my hair slowly catching up until I straightened :grin:

I'm going to have to fight with layers when I'm natural, all over again :spinning:

Yout hair looks very healthy. It looks like it's all one length too!!
That's a dream of mine no layers

honeybuni84

this is my personal set back.. ugghhh the thinning and breakage i am currently dealing with..

It's apl, but thin and unhappy at the top.

brucebettye

I got protein overload. I had texlaxed and was experiencing breakage so I used the Aphogee two step treatment to help stop the breakage. At the same time I was using the Cantu shea butter to define my curls on a daily basis. My hair started to shed and break something terrible. I found out on this site that cantu shea butter has alot of protein in it and I stopped using it and starting doing moisturizing treatments. I did not lose alot of length, but I did have to cut an inch off my ends and I lost some of my thickness in my hair. I am still working on my hair thickness, but I am happy that all my hair did not fall out.

Ltown

Greyland
I don't have one but I love this title and heard it from the author Willie Jolley motivation speaker and it perfect for so many thing. thanks.

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered

She attributed it to the thread. I did them myself so I never did them very tight or kept them in past a month and a half to two months.

this is my personal set back.. ugghhh the thinning and breakage i am currently dealing with..

It's apl, but thin and unhappy at the top.

Yea I had to let them go for good. I still rock a wig here and there but no more weaves. I've noticed that the growth that I received in a year is still the same texture but my strainds look a little plumper. Like I can go from the root to the ends and see where the hair starts to get thinner.

Last edited:

BlkOnyx488

That's exactly what happened to me. Cantu Shea was MY STAPLE. I would pass it out as gifts to my natural girl friends. I love it! Then in October the PJ in me got excited about Aphogee. So I went out and bought the line. I read some where that the 2min protein treatment didn't have as much protien and i didn't know the shea but had protein already.

So I was doing the 2 min bi monthly with the moisture balance right after that. then I started doing it weekly.

When Dec rolled around and it was time for me to straighten my natural hair for a length check. I discoved my hair hadn't grown an inch, my ends were split and damage and my hair was hard as a rock.

it took me another month to face the fact that I had to cut it. after I did I felt like Ok I did the right thing my hair felt happy. I learned my lesson, band wagons may look fun but stick with what you know!!!! and I am mostly cured of my budding PJism.

I got protein overload. I had texlaxed and was experiencing breakage so I used the Aphogee two step treatment to help stop the breakage. At the same time I was using the Cantu shea butter to define my curls on a daily basis. My hair started to shed and break something terrible. I found out on this site that cantu shea butter has alot of protein in it and I stopped using it and starting doing moisturizing treatments. I did not lose alot of length, but I did have to cut an inch off my ends and I lost some of my thickness in my hair. I am still working on my hair thickness, but I am happy that all my hair did not fall out.
Amen to the Bolded

I've been following the crown and glory method since August 2008, where I started at shoulder length, wearing braids on and off every two months. My hair was getting healthier and more moisturised, but progress in length was so slow, but I kept at it. After taking off my last set of braids last month, I was so disappointed to see that my hair was still shoulder length. I really expected it to be armpit length by now! I decided I needed to change my protective styling methods, so I've dropped the braids and buns in favour of wigs instead. At least my wig will satisfy my long hair desire while I protect my own hair and wait for it to grow longer. I do feel quite discouraged and unlucky at times, looking at the progress of other women on here, but then I may as well keep trying I guess?

shopgalore

I am hopefully on the comeback road from a protein overload
So I needed some inspiration.

Have you pin-pointed what is causing your hair to break?
Have you considered putting your hair in a no manipulation style for a month or more
like braids or cornrows.
I have had to put my hair away for the winter:yep:

I have no idea what is causing it, I think I used to much product and when I baggyied, my hair was damp the morning after and I could still feel product on my scalp, so I have just cornrowed my hair and will keep it until Sunday and do a DC, then using a combo of wigs and cornrows.:yep:

BlkOnyx488

How's your comeback coming along?:yep:
I have no idea what is causing it, I think I used to much product and when I baggyied, my hair was damp the morning after and I could still feel product on my scalp, so I have just cornrowed my hair and will keep it until Sunday and do a DC, then using a combo of wigs and cornrows.:yep:

blackberry815

My setback was (my ignorance) and Bigen Oriental Black hair dye. I fell in total love with this dye and have not seen anything duplicate the intense and deep, deep black that I get (it is like the color of tar). I went looney applying this stuff like every 4-5 weeks! I had layered bra-strap hair at the time that began to shed and break but I STILL didn't put 2 and 2 together. So, I kept right on dyeing my hair like it was going out of style. Soon it became see-thru so I had 5-6 inches chopped off - STILL not putting 2 and 2 together I started looking at my products more carefully and trying to weed out the culprit (common sense should have stepped in but it didn't. It couldn't have been anything in my arsenal because I had been using them without any problems. Hello?!) I still was using Bigen and the lightbulb didn't go off upstairs. One day I wore a white T-shirt and I could see the shirt right through my hair...I was in tears and I complained to a longhaired friend (& my hairdresser) about my hair and told her what I had been using...she said Bigen is a permanent dye and shouldn't be used on relaxed hair!!! DING! DING! DING! The light came on HOWEVER I KNEW that permanent dye and relaxed hair is a no-no but Bigen fooled me because how could something you mix with water hurt your locks? Damn.

Anyway, I big-chopped on 7/08 to less than 1.5 inches all over. I've had 4 haircuts since then because I had to adjust to the grow-out phase each time and caved but I dug in my heels the last haircut and made it through. I'm currently wearing a bob that hits my jawbone and it's growing healthily :). Oh, it's burgundy-brown and I use SEMI-PERMANENT dye LOL! (I will be coloring my bob blue-black when I reach collar-bone length though.)

It's fun when people see me and comment that my hair is growing/growing back!

ladylibra_30 bigen has both semi perment powders and perment powders.

Sent from my ADR6400L