A word about damaged/split ends (for newbies):LONG!!

aileendq

I've recently read several posts about what constitutes damage in hair. I wanted to put this out there and then ask all of you a question:

1. Hair CAN be damaged and not be split (YET!). Hair can break mid-shaft if water in the hair shaft is heated (say, with a flat iron or blowdryer) to the point the water boils (expanding) and bubbles the hair shaft. Eventually, this WILL break off and leave a multi-split.

2. Split ends CANNOT be "fixed". If anything, they will continue to split up the hair shaft. Just cut them, already! (I do micro-trims and "search and destroy" every day by holding my hair in front of my eyes in front of a light. The ends that are significantly lighter and or split are cut 1/2 inch above the damage.

3. If you smell burning hair (at the salon or at home) STOP!!! You will recognize the smell of burned hair- it's distinctive and not anything like burning product. (I have this theory that the smell of burning human hair/flesh is ingrained in our olfactory regions of our brains as a vestigial survival mechanism...but I digress.)

4. If you are creating steam with your flatiron (the EXCEPTIONS are steam flat irons such as Maxiglide) then the flation is TOO HOT. See #1.

5. Hair can look damaged (frizzy, especially at the ends) and be perfectly fine.

6. Hair can be damaged and look perfectly healthy at a glance. (Hair smoothed with product etc.)

7. DON'T let a stylist tell you you "need" a trim, unless you trust them implicitly. Remember, it's YOUR head, YOU have to live with the results, and you CAN'T glue it back on. If your hair is long enough, get under a bright light and examine your ends yourself. If it is not, find a trusted friend to help.

8. It is extremely difficult (!!!!!) to both relax AND lighten your hair and not have damage, which will manifest itself most readily at your ends, because your ends are the oldest part of your hair.

WHEW!! Okay, here's the question: What can you ladies add to this about damaged hair for the newbies? I KNOW I missed/don't know A LOT of damaged hair. And by all means, if you disagree with something I said, give it your side of the story.

I remember when I started my LHCF journey, and how much I didn't know. I wish there had a been a "damaged hair" thread that would have summed things up. So, "oldtimers" chime in (especially you BSL/waist length ladies)!!!

TIA!

Interesting. I've noticed a ton of breakage along my edges up front--mid-shaft as described. I don't know what could be causing this, but that hair has become rougher in texture than the rest now and i can see it's broken along the same areas it's thinning. If this hair is boiling and breaking, I'm wondering if I should stop drying my hair under the hair dryer? I have NO IDEA how to stop this, and last night I noticed it's getting worse across a larger area. I'm using Profectiv Breakfree and I don't use any other heat on my hair; I probably rollerset once every two weeks or so.

The rest of my hair is happy, hydrated and growing like weeds. So if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Wow! Great thread. Thanks for posting this for newbies like me who thought they knew but really didn't know jack about growing healthy hair!:kiss: This helps!!

Blu217 said:
Interesting. I've noticed a ton of breakage along my edges up front--mid-shaft as described. I don't know what could be causing this, but that hair has become rougher in texture than the rest now and i can see it's broken along the same areas it's thinning. If this hair is boiling and breaking, I'm wondering if I should stop drying my hair under the hair dryer? I have NO IDEA how to stop this, and last night I noticed it's getting worse across a larger area. I'm using Profectiv Breakfree and I don't use any other heat on my hair; I probably rollerset once every two weeks or so.

The rest of my hair is happy, hydrated and growing like weeds. So if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Hi,

I have the same issue with breakage in the front. Mine is due to hereditary thinning and other (medical) stuff. You can see that the hair is thinner (meaning the individual hair shaft is thinner in diameter than other hairs). Once I noticed this, I started being MUCH more gentle with the dryer (I rollerset) and with the flatiron ( I use a Maxiglide on 3 1x per week). This has helped tremendously.

I noticed your post about the Trichhorrhexis Nodosa. My understanding of this is that it can hereditary (in which case it would be all over your head or in isolated patches) or caused (or excacerbated)by environmental stuff (blowdrying, flatironing etc.). I would not put a relaxer in for a while and see if it helps (I relax the front last, and only leave it in for 5 minutes, if that).

I would also recommened seeing a trichologist to determine whether or not this is genetic or environmental. (And a physical to rule out factors such as hypo/hyperthyriodism and anemia.)

I personally have found that taking certain supplements has helped (Omega three fatty acids, Biotin and MSM) have helped me, but then I have nutritional intake problems that have medical causes.

I also make abolutely sure my hair is dry before I flatiron.

HHG!

AileenDQ, thank you so much for the information; I'd read some similar things, and I'd say mine is in isolated patches. I truly hate the idea of not relaxing, but... it's becoming clearer to me that that's it's probably inevitable... just gonna have to start over :( . I'd LOVE to see a trich doc, but I cannot find one here in NC. I have just started taking flaxseed oil and I take MSM as well.

Thanks for the all the highly informative information; I'm feeling better about things. Good luck in your journey as well!

I would look into mechanical stress - esp. mid-shaft. Scarf? Hat? Shower Cap? Glasses (shoved onto forehead)? How you comb/brush? Is that section of your hair closer to the heating element? How you sleep? Do you wrap your hair? Become fully aware of everything that touches that area, and I'm certain you'll pin down what's causing it.

Back