Damaged or Not? That is the question.

cookie1

:wallbash:When my hair is air dryed my ends look kind of frizzy and when I flat iron they're so silky straight. How do you know when you have split ends or damaged ends? Are they always damaged looking even after flat ironing? Years ago I had a split end experience and heal didnt' help but, this time it's different so I was wondering if i really know what split/damaged ends are.:perplexed

Qualitee

When they are breaking severley. But it shoulds like to me that you have a frizz problem. Try john freda anti frizz before airdrying. HTH

Hi, have you had your ends clipped recently? If not then you may have split ends. If so then, you could be looking at hair that is uneven. If you have several long strands mixed in with short strands then it may appear split when in fact they may not be. My ends look dry and the hair strand itself is split and thin when my ends are split. That is one of my greatest challenges with people who know me and will protest the fact that I have hair issues. They don't recognize my hair damage because they know that I have thick hair already, but after the damage that I suffered it was thinned out. It's still thick to those who don't know me, but it was much thicker before the damage. I hth.
Silkydreamgirl

cookie1

I have my ends clipped w/ each relaxer and in Sept. I got it cut in layers. To me my hair looks damaged on the ends when they're dry. When I moisturize using the baggy method or flat iron my hair they look healthy. I always considered those split ends but, now I'm not sure. Maybe, it's just how my ends look when they need moisture. My beautician always talk about how good I take care of my hair. I think I'm confused.

msa

I have my ends clipped w/ each relaxer and in Sept. I got it cut in layers. To me my hair looks damaged on the ends when they're dry. When I moisturize using the baggy method or flat iron my hair they look healthy. I always considered those split ends but, now I'm not sure. Maybe, it's just how my ends look when they need moisture. My beautician always talk about how good I take care of my hair. I think I'm confused.

I think you've answered your own question. Your ends just appear damaged when they are dry/need moisture. Just because your ends are dry does not mean that they are damaged.

When you take a strand of hair and look at the end of it and you see that it separates into two strands, that's a split end. And that's the only thing that is a "split end". Dry ends do not necessarily equal split ends and vice versa.

You may need to increase your DC's and moisturize more often until your ends look good all the time, not just when flat ironed.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
How offen do you flat iron? I know for myself that weekly or even 2 times a month direct heat is terrible on my ends. The ends may not be split, but you could be drying them out which causes frizz and dry looking ends that will soon turn to split ends. Also if you are trying to retain lenght you should only dust, and trim only when needed which will depend on your hair. If you baggie (ends only) you should be fine to the fact of holding off on the touch-up trim sessions.

Just try to DC with moisture only products much more offen and try to limit the flat iron.

Hope that helps! :grin:

Irresistible

My ends were just silky smooth and polished , freshly trimmed soft and shiny, just came back from a drive and letting my hair blow in the wind in the car, I never do that, It was like an experience I dont have words for , heh heh, but anyway, now after that air and blowing everywhere, my ends are f'd up , dry dry dry and frizzzay! So I KNOW they arent damaged whatsoever my plan is to put lots of coconut oil in it tonight

so yeah, do you oil your ends when you air dry?

explosiva9

Also, if you relax your hair and used a lot of heat on it, you may have a porosity problem. Keeping the hair conditioned, moisture/protein balanced, can really help. Also try a product called Roux Porosity Control. Helps with laying the cuticle down.

PinkPebbles

My ends were just silky smooth and polished , freshly trimmed soft and shiny, just came back from a drive and letting my hair blow in the wind in the car, I never do that, It was like an experience I dont have words for , heh heh, but anyway, now after that air and blowing everywhere, my ends are f'd up , dry dry dry and frizzzay! So I KNOW they arent damaged whatsoever my plan is to put lots of coconut oil in it tonight

so yeah, do you oil your ends when you air dry?

I've started putting natural oil on my ends frequently instead of water based products. And WOW, my ends are loving me. Now I see why you love your oils...:grin:.

If I use a quality DC all if I have to do is use natural oil (vitamin e) on my ends through out the week.

OP, it sounds like your ends are dry and not damage.

youwillrise

I've started putting natural oil on my ends frequently instead of water based products. And WOW, my ends are loving me. Now I see why you love your oils...:grin:.

If I use a quality DC all if I have to do is use natural oil (vitamin e) on my ends through out the week.

OP, it sounds like your ends are dry and not damage.

((nods))

my hair is picky with oils, but when it finds one it likes...it LOVES to be oiled with it.

i've been re-oiling my hair/ends (avocado oil FTW!) when i get home from work

and my hair is loving it.

gymfreak336

Are your ends split? You can see split ends, they will look like tree branches. If not, and if they are not breaking then you just have a frizzy issue. Keep conditioning your hair, focusing extra conditioner on the ends and keeping them moisturized.

cookie1

You guys are so awesome! I don't see splits at the ends..just frizzy. I don't flat iron often (esp. since joining the forum). I'm cowashing and pulling hair in clip or scrunchi. I just flat iron maybe twice a month but, I noticed when I started baggying w/ oils or other products for moisture my ends looked very healthy. I just didnt' know the difference b/t split ends and frizzy ends.

hillytmj

If you have several long strands mixed in with short strands then it may appear split when in fact they may not be.
Silkydreamgirl

My ends were just silky smooth and polished , freshly trimmed soft and shiny, just came back from a drive and letting my hair blow in the wind in the car, I never do that, It was like an experience I dont have words for , heh heh, but anyway, now after that air and blowing everywhere, my ends are f'd up , dry dry dry and frizzzay! So I KNOW they arent damaged whatsoever...

Thank you sooooo much for posting this thread. I know that I have unnecessarily trimmed my ends because I keep thinking they are split, but in reality, they are uneven. I am growing out layers, so my hair is never blunt on the ends. I also think stylists mistake "uneven" ends with damaged ends.

I think you ladies present a good test in this discussion: look at the overall condition of your hair to evaluate if it's damaged or split. A quick test for me, is that I know my hair is damaged/split when it won't hold curls (I'm talking rollersets, pin curls, curling irons, whatever). Man, I wish i read this thread last week before trimming my hair! :wallbash: